"You're generalizing"

Options
Huruma
Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Most people accept neutral generalizations like "most men are taller than most women", even though many women are taller than many men and nothing about being a man or woman directly causes someone to be tall or short, so why is it unthinkable that some unflattering generalizations are true as far as most members of a group are concerned? Why is it automatically accepted, just on sentiment alone, that most members of any given group can't be racist, violent, have poor hygiene etc. It may not be true that most White people are racist or most Black people are ? addicted, violent, welfare recipients, (most generalizations are anecdotal and fueled by personal bias), but a world where most members of a group do have some unflattering characteristic, or on' average', are more likely to, is theoretically possible and it wouldn't reflect negatively on the members of the group who do not fit those generalizations (correlation doesn't imply causation). By our standards, most people would agree that most antebellum White Southerners were probably racist, since no living person can be shamed by this generalization, most people don't take offense to that. Isn't it possible that some negative generalizations actually are valid and you are justified in making usually accurate predictions about an individual's behavior based on the groups they belong to? We make generalizations every day because we have expectations based on routine about how people and things usually behave most of the time.

Comments

• Jesus Jackson
    Jesus Jackson Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I like my women hairy.
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I like my women hairy.

generally speaking you may like a nice jewish woman then
  • Jesus Jackson
    edited November 2011
    Options
    haute wrote: »
    generally speaking you may like a nice jewish woman then

I was thinking maybe Middle Eastern or South Asian... Oh wait... There's Jewish women in the Middle East... O.K., you're right.
  • Jesus Jackson
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I was thinking maybe Middle Eastern or South Asian... Oh wait... There's Jewish women in the Middle East... O.K., you're right.

Uh-oh... Now, I'm generalizing. Just because a woman is of Middle Eastern descent, that doesn't mean that she's gonna be hairy.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    . Isn't it possible that some negative generalizations actually are valid and you are justified in making usually accurate predictions about an individual's behavior based on the groups they belong to?

No think individual my friend.
  • Huruma
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Ishi wrote: »
    No think individual my friend.

I can't think of many crackers I've met who aren't predictable.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Word, humans dislike such generalizations because humans are foolish.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    so why is it unthinkable that some unflattering generalizations are true as far as most members of a group are concerned?
    cuz people don't like to accept reality or feel like "a bad person" for pointing out the truth...
    other than that, if you're part of the majority, then you can shape what "most" people think therefore if majority thinks "all X people smell like wet dogs" than even some people that are not in your group or their group is gonna parrot off that. That's why people take over and rule s***. You can be perceived as right, even when you're wrong.
    Isn't it possible that some negative generalizations actually are valid and you are justified in making usually accurate predictions about an individual's behavior based on the groups they belong to?
    Sometimes.....gangbangers commit crime, hoes gon ? , haters gon hate, and pimps gonna ? , players gonna play,computer be putin....but all convicts facing trail say they innocent....
    Sometimes not.
    We make generalizations every day because we have expectations based on routine about how people and things usually behave most of the time.

Not speaking for myself but......
    some people need to mentally fit things into boxes in order to keep their mental health.
    just think if every person had to keep an open mind about everything and everyone.
    I think society would collapse under some "paralysis by analysis" s***
    Sometimes we need impatient people to analysis, assume, get the hell out of the way.
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

There's also Greek or Portuguese. Portuguese chicks are tricky though because they can look hot as hell when they're younger and then they reach a certain age (like 35) and BOOM! - old hag! Italian chicks are pretty consistently hairy. The ones from Italy i mean, not the ones from New Jersey.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Word, humans dislike such generalizations because humans are foolish.

I see what you done did there...
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I can't think of many crackers I've met who aren't predictable.

Same can be said for ? tho...
  • Jesus Jackson
    edited November 2011
    Options
    binstar wrote: »
    There's also Greek or Portuguese. Portuguese chicks are tricky though because they can look hot as hell when they're younger and then they reach a certain age (like 35) and BOOM! - old hag! Italian chicks are pretty consistently hairy. The ones from Italy i mean, not the ones from New Jersey.

Yeah, Italian and Spanish are notoriously hairy... I like this discussion.
  • Pond Scum
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Yeah, Italian and Spanish are notoriously hairy... I like this discussion.

yo i met the hottest italian girl tonight. i don't know how hairy she is but i plan to find out tomorrow.

oh dear sweet marta.
  • Real Lady
    Real Lady Banned Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    the reason why most generalizations are not accurate, because some people imitate others images and display different behavior. I don't act perfect, but there may be certain people that fall in my category of person who act different. People may assume that's my attitude when it is not. & so fourth they may think they have to talk about my situations to show me I'm not perfect. When I don't think I'm perfect. (so the lesson is not needed)

With me, I feel I know myself more than others, others are studying me. I know why I do what I do, and what it meant when I did it. Others are not always able to interpreted what my behavior mean. It irritates me when people think they know me more than I know myself. If I make a decision it's because of the events that may have happened in my life that caused me to make that decision. So those studying my decisions have to first know the events that happened in my life in order to make correct judgement. Most people do not know the lives of the people they generalize. Most people who generalize are studying images of people. People who make accurate judgement towards others characters are usually the ones who study the lives of others. The same people are able to individualize others, so they are trying to understand the person behavior. People who generalize are lazy minded people who want to come off like they know it all, without proper study of the individuals they are generalizing. so they will just say all of such and such are like this, as if they seen or met all of a certain type.

A lot of times I have been mistreated by people who generalize. Just like those people who generalize me as being a person with a easy life. Now this sounds like a compliment, but these people come to abuse my nature because they feel I haven't suffered. These type of people take me thru changes I do not need. & the lessons they are trying to teach do not apply to me. Like for example I almost died in some street ? , I didnt cause upon myself. However you got people judging me because they generalize people from the street. They do not know what personally happened to me.
  • Pond Scum
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Real Lady wrote: »
    the reason why most generalizations are not accurate, because some people imitate others images and display different behavior. I don't act perfect, but there may be certain people that fall in my category of person who act different. People may assume that's my attitude when it is not. & so fourth they may think they have to talk about my situations to show me I'm not perfect. When I don't think I'm perfect. (so the lesson is not needed)

With me, I feel I know myself more than others, others are studying me. I know why I do what I do, and what it meant when I did it. Others are not always able to interpreted what my behavior mean. It irritates me when people think they know me more than I know myself. If I make a decision it's because of the events that may have happened in my life that caused me to make that decision. So those studying my decisions have to first know the events that happened in my life in order to make correct judgement. Most people do not know the lives of the people they generalize. Most people who generalize are studying images of people. People who make accurate judgement towards others characters are usually the ones who study the lives of others. The same people are able to individualize others, so they are trying to understand the person behavior. People who generalize are lazy minded people who want to come off like they know it all, without proper study of the individuals they are generalizing. so they will just say all of such and such are like this, as if they seen or met all of a certain type.

A lot of times I have been mistreated by people who generalize. Just like those people who generalize me as being a person with a easy life. Now this sounds like a compliment, but these people come to abuse my nature because they feel I haven't suffered. These type of people take me thru changes I do not need. & the lessons they are trying to teach do not apply to me. Like for example I almost died in some street ? , I didnt cause upon myself. However you got people judging me because they generalize people from the street. They do not know what personally happened to me.

What traumatic event happened to you when you were younger?
  • Real Lady
    edited November 2011
    Options
    binstar wrote: »
    What traumatic event happened to you when you were younger?

I was raised around killers, drug addicts, drug dealers. I never was ? or molested & it seems as if people think thats the only bad things that can happen to a young female, because I wasn't shown much sympathy for my struggle, because I remained mentality healthy for a long time. . Since I didnt react like a molested child, people assumed nothing was wrong. It seem as if those types would get more attention for their problems. Eventually I acted out in anger, I became angry at the people who wanted to prevent me from changing my situation. Some people feel this is the life, what do you need to change for, you are just trying to be better. People stayed too focused on my image in a bad situation and was not looking at my situation. They wanted this person to be nice to them & treat them kindly, when I wasn't being treated nice or kindly. Honestly I just think haters assumed I would be a pushover and die and became angry that I started to fight my way out of the situations. They like to paint me as a devil for trying to improve my life. Some just don't like that I fought for respect. I wasn't going out like that, for some reason it's people in this world who do not want this person to go the right way. They keep thinking I'm trying to be better. I don't know where they get this silver spoon story from. It's not like my mother was unfit, but she was going thru some gangsta ? when she had me. She wanted better, and people was coming against her.

I definitely did not want to be a star, with these type of haters. it's not safe. They have the wrong impression that this person had it all and want more, and they build so much hate from their generalizations, that I could get killed.
  • needmorecash
    needmorecash Members Posts: 253
    edited November 2011
    Options
    i stereotype 40 words a minute. . ..feel you though
  • Real Lady
    edited November 2011
    Options
    people who generalize just loose. They generalize the way people dress or look or where they live..thats ? is bogus. I was dressing real flashy and I was generalized as a ghetto ? , then I toned it down they think I come from a different community. some times I wear a Ericka Badu look, thats when ppl respect me as conscious. However if I got a weave, I'm a stripper. This ? got to go. I wish I did grow up like the huxables. Actually rudy from the huxables was my favorite because thats exactly how I use to act as a kid, but I was born in the ghetto. I use to look like her when I was young, but Iam not out of that lifestyle.
  • Truerap
    Truerap Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Wait so we taking about fish right.

Im about to ? some ice cream.
  • frostyicy
    frostyicy Members Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Actually this thread is a generalization.....

Fail or purpose????
  • Huruma
    edited November 2011
    Options
    frostyicy wrote: »
    Actually this thread is a generalization.....

I suppose so.
    I was generalized as a ghetto ? ,

I didn't read your other posts and I'm not clear on the terminology but I think you were 'stereotyped' as a 'ghetto ? '. To make a generalization about women who dress flashy (an anecdotal observation about most women who do so) and to assume something about a woman who dresses flashy and treat her based on those assumptions are two different things, aren't they?