Essence Producer Vs. Series: Exile Vs. Nicolay

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Essence
Exile is an acclaimed Hip Hop producer out of Southern California. His production credits span classic albums such as 'Below The Heavens' and Boy Meets World' (amongst early solo releases); he's recently just stepped into the mic-game himself with 4TRKMind. His soulful production has made him a notable producer in the underground with everything that he touches turning to gold. Selecting Fashawn and Blu to work with, it seems Exile has an ear for emcee's with a story to tell and brings out the most personal side of each rapper that he works with. Some could argue that he just makes timeless music, after all, he produced the album (BTH) which shoots to the top of the underground charts every time it comes in stock over at UGHH.

Nicolay is a European Hip Hop/R&B/Soul music producer out of the Netherlands. His work is closely tied with Little Brother member, Phonte. Working with Phonte as one half of The Foreign Exchange, Nicolay goes down in history as one of the first producers to work with an artist that he'd never met in real life. Collaborating online, Phonte and Nic produced the classic 'Connected'. Nicolay also branched out to work with Kay on the underrated 'Time:Line' as well as continuing his work with The Foreign Exchange on 'Leave it All Behind' and 'Authenticity'. He's also stepped out into the solo market with 'Here' in 2006.

Comparing the two producers with similar catalogs is a hefty task given both producers ability to craft soulful music. It's arguable that Exile has more hip hop orientated tracks, but 'Connected' and 'Time:Line' would argue differently. What isn't debatable is the genius that both producers have when they craft their music, they're truly gifted at building a complete album (something that today's music lacks) and both can make timeless beats….

But which one do you prefer and why?

Comments

• RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Nicolay.

Exile is dope but a lot is just looped to me, nicolays beats change up a lot more and i feel like he works his beats around the artists verse, instead of the rapper just spittin to what is made.

Too early to think. will drop more later.
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    ^^ haha @ too early Lou.

I agree though, in many ways, I believe Nicolay is an astounding producer… but I think in terms of consistency, I think I'd want Exile with my favourite rapper, if only due to the fact that Exile is an amazing soundscape producer. He really gives you the feel on the last two collaborations that he's done as was felt on Connected with Nic. But the difference being, that Nic went off to do R & B (which is why I think his production is more varied) and Exile continues to work with Westcoast artists who are talented to the upmost.

So overall, it's a tough one as Nicolay wouldn't be considered as much of a hip hop producer if it wasn't for Connected and Time:Line.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    aww man, this is tough...I'll be back
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    aww man, this is tough...I'll be back

Time to scroll through that iTunes library again? LOL
  • traestar
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Actually I already have my pick, just off the most recent project alone!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Actually I already have my pick, just off the most recent project alone!!

Lol well Nicolay's last effort was with FE if I remember correctly, Exile's latest project is his own… still haven't played 4TRKMind all the way through..
  • traestar
    edited November 2011
    Options
    lol, I am referring to Nicolay with The Hot At Nights
    http://www.theforeignexchangemusic.com/2011/11/nicolay-with-the-hot-at-nights---shibuya-session-ep.php

Man I must say that ever since hearing Exile on Below the Heavens, I knew he was a tight producer!!
    I am an ultimate fan of Exile's work and will still follow any new projects he cooks up!!

But my pick is #4 on my list of my favorite producers of all time!! Haven't it not been for Phonte meeting up with Nicolay in 2003, I would've never heard of him. What I like about Nicolay's work is how he fuses that hip hop sound into natural environment sound and able to have the listener paint a picture of how its like to live in the Netherlands, or Japan, or just outside in the Night City Lights!! Always loved his production and is one of a few producers that I can listen to honestly...meaning when I have people in the car or at home, I don't feel guilty listening to and there maybe cussing or something in it (some older I know don't like hearing hip hop period). But they in my car anyways so tough, lol!!

Anyways both are talented producers!!
  • bignorm73
    bignorm73 Banned Users Posts: 5,031 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I prefer Nicolay. He does more with less.

His work with Phonte, and on Dutch Masters, as well as that with Kay.

Exile has had Blue and Fashawn.
    I felt that both are better than Kay, yet i prefers Timeline to Fashawns joint.

Dutch Masters is a classic to me.
  • traestar
    edited November 2011
    Options
    bignorm73 wrote: »
    I prefer Nicolay. He does more with less.

His work with Phonte, and on Dutch Masters, as well as that with Kay.

Exile has had Blue and Fashawn.
    I felt that both are better than Kay, yet i prefers Timeline to Fashawns joint.

Dutch Masters is a classic to me.

Dutch Masters was a definite classic!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Dutch Masters was a definite classic!!

Still haven't heard Dutch Masters!! I'll listen tomorrow, I also made a thread about Nic's last disc I think; but completely forgot to listen to it. Damn schedule messing with my hip hop.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I prefer Nicolay. His beats just seem more varied. From what I've heard from Exile is he can get a little bland at times and doesn't have enough variance, both inter-song variance and variance across albums, to truly be one of the elite to me.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    a close one but id have to say Nicolay. i found my dutch masters the other day and i forgot how much of a classic record that it is. im not knockng exile cuz his work is jus as dope im mean yall forgot he did some ? on Co$$,s album too. but nicolay is jus more soulful.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

damn this ? is dope as ? . this was when wiz was spittin.
  • traestar
    edited November 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »

damn this ? is dope as ? . this was when wiz was spittin.

Thats why I can't really disagree with all Wiz does, I respect him for this!!
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Thats so weird dude. Everytime i hear a nicolay beat, i think of night time with city lights everywhere. and they light up with the bass/kick lol
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I prefer Nicolay. His beats just seem more varied. From what I've heard from Exile is he can get a little bland at times and doesn't have enough variance, both inter-song variance and variance across albums, to truly be one of the elite to me.

Hmm… I want to agree and disagree with this post, I don't feel it's bland, EVER. But at the same time, his soundscapes are so similar to keep his albums cohesive, I can see where it could fall into that lane for some or all listeners in general…

Despite this, I think you're right, completely. Nic is an astounding producer, he is able to vary his beats whilst keeping his albums cohesive.

That said, some Exile beats are amazing… and I always want my favourite artists to work with him… he's also capable of exploding more artists just based on his slick production.
    satyrone wrote: »
    a close one but id have to say Nicolay. i found my dutch masters the other day and i forgot how much of a classic record that it is. im not knockng exile cuz his work is jus as dope im mean yall forgot he did some ? on Co$$,s album too. but nicolay is jus more soulful.

I gotta get this Dutch Masters, just about to listen to City Lights 2 though, crazy what's happening or was happening with Foreign Exchange music and iTunes… was just watching 'Te on this one (NOTE: One Year Old!!):

Lol @ Phonte wearing sparkly chapstick hahaha

Yeah, I don't think I mentioned the work on Co$$, did in the official thread though, still gutted I never sprang for the 'one extra CD' when I shopped at UGHH. That was in and out my basket loads as a pre-order, but I eventually decided against it as I had spent a fortune.
    Thats why I can't really disagree with all Wiz does, I respect him for this!!

Of all the Wiz songs that must be out there, this is one of the few that I was already aware of, I did really like the beat, did any other artist use it as well???
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Thats so weird dude. Everytime i hear a nicolay beat, i think of night time with city lights everywhere. and they light up with the bass/kick lol

Have you got City Lights 2?
  • traestar
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Nah Ruff, Wiz is the only one...this is the track that got Wiz looked at..
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Nah Ruff, Wiz is the only one...this is the track that got Wiz looked at..

Possibly how I know it then… 'cos I haven't checked for much of his work.