Radiohead - Hiphop Question ?

Options
hiphophova
hiphophova Members Posts: 710
edited November 2011 in The Reason
I think they might go down as the most over rated musicians ever how they 20 years in the game and got one minor hit (creep), but there is no denying their presence when dudes talk about hot music so what am i missing from a hiphop point of view.

I seen in another thread someone put up a track the kid A and it was some dope hiphop like beat with just a bunch of machinery harmonizing, no words or nothing.

I can put you on who i like and why, but can you honestly tell me why you like Radiohead and put some youtube tracks up.

from hiphop point of view, since we all share similar interest in nice beats nice lyrics and a some sort of message or feeling.

Comments

• Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    lol at overrated

people don;t wanna put them on the same pedestal them old ass bands thats why people say that

this should go in the alternative thread though
  • hiphophova
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I think i honestly never heard a Radiohead track (outside Kid A -in that thread yesterday & Creep), they not on the radios and never had a presence there but everyone from Kanye to Miley Cyrus loves them.

I heard on foxxhole, Jamie said it cost like a 'million' to sample them.

Their highest ever chart position and hit is an old 90s track called 'creep' ......... so are people just listening with ? in their ears trying to be pompous.

or am i missing out on some hot music, ? dont make sense.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options

Matter fact.....let me go listen to OK Computer.
    Thanks for the reminder.
  • Kame
    edited November 2011
    Options
    yeah try ok computer

if you into arena rock try the bends before that
  • hiphophova
    edited November 2011
    Options
    CoolJoe wrote: »

Matter fact.....let me go listen to OK Computer.
    Thanks for the reminder.

LOlllllllll, this ? .

I knew it (maybe not you) but people just love to ride ? , the lead vocals is some faggy annoying wallowing and i am not feeling the instrumentals.

real bands have recognisble hits, not some music journalist NME we are better than you type ? that is what i think when someone trying to proclaim Radiohead.

20 years in music, and no mega hits.

Yet they are meant to be the greatest band of all time ?

This is a time when being part of this elitist ? , is better than common sense.

+

just a short sum of words to why you or think this band is so good, what is it about Radiohead ?
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    why are you acting like hits and being on the radio even means something? it doesn't mean ? in any genre. are you gonna discredit mozart, beethoven, etc. just because they don't have hits?
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The vocals go extremely well with the music behind them.
    Hits mean nothing also, no good bands are going platinum plus in this day and age.

And Kid A is on some next level ? , gotta be in the right mindset to listen to it.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Ask Coldplay how influential Radiohead is. Radiohead is a incredible band, the fact that have longevity and is that influential speaks volume.
  • hiphophova
    edited November 2011
    Options
    why are you acting like hits and being on the radio even means something? it doesn't mean ? in any genre. are you gonna discredit mozart, beethoven, etc. just because they don't have hits?

you know your really something else, radio for mozart and beethozen.

A. Beethozen got the most recognisble sympthony, sampled countless times in hiphop

B. Mozart man who knows classical, but we know the boy genius Mozart.

+

Radiohead dont have not hits, and apparently their fans cant even tell you why they like them.

If i can get 2 more, Kid A's. I shut my mouth because i love good music ......... hit is recognsible good music, many motown artist have hits that are recognisble pieces of music played to this day.

no plays radiohead, apart from a small but incredibly vocal group of music elitist.

no offense, because when it comes to hiphop we all brothers here.
  • hiphophova
    edited November 2011
    Options
    @ CoolJoe. I love that 'Kid A' ? i just heard it yesterday and that ? is ill thats why i made the thread.

@USmarine. I know their influence no doubt but even Coldplay got recognisble songs /hits, ....... I want to be down for the right reasons a plethora of good music not because they influence other musicians or music journalist rave about them.
  • Kame
    edited November 2011
    Options
    hiphophova wrote: »
    @ CoolJoe. I love that 'Kid A' ? i just heard it yesterday and that ? is ill thats why i made the thread.

@USmarine. I know their influence no doubt but even Coldplay got recognisble songs /hits, ....... I want to be down for the right reasons a plethora of good music not because they influence other musicians or music journalist rave about them.

Give their catalogue a listen and just judge for yourself I guess..
  • hiphophova
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Im going to go on youtube and just go song after song, for about 10 songs read the comments i should find a couple gems.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Ask Coldplay how influential Radiohead is. Radiohead is a incredible band, the fact that have longevity and is that influential speaks volume.

The fact that every album sees them switching their sound and reinventing themselves yet also managing to pull it off so effortlessly every time is worth mentioning as well. Comparing Radiohead to Coldplay just seems like a massive insult to Radiohead. Never got why Americans find Coldplay so fascinating (Parachutes aside), they just seem like the dictionary definition of mediocre.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I can't even front, I"m not a huge fan(a little too esoteric for my tastes honestly), but to say Radiohead is overrated? C'mon fam.

Have you listened to OK Computer? They got a little too weird after that for me.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    First off: Why is this in the Reason?
    Second off: They're overrated because they don't have hits in the US? What?
  • usmarin3
    edited November 2011
    Options

You ever think they don't have "hits'' as you say it because they don't put themselves out there like that or don't make that type of music that is commercially favorable "big hooks, simple lyrics, and catchy melody". Have you ever listened to a Radiohead album, it is not what i would describe as easily digestible to the simple minds out there.

There have been lots of great artist without the commercial success, but definitely left an imprint on the music business.
  • Kame
    edited November 2011
    Options
    It goes from best to worst imo

Ok Computer
    Kid A
    The Bends
    In Rainbows
    Pablo Honey
    King of Limbs
    Hail to the Thief
    Amnesiac
  • usmarin3
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I mean for ? sakes AC/DC has got to be the most overrated and repetitive ? band ever and they have sold millions making the same song and albums over and over and over.
  • Kame
    edited November 2011
    Options
    U2 been wack for decades... and they got hits for days
  • hiphophova
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I thought as much, you mothafckas are pompous.

One talking about reinventing themselves, Idi Amin Dada admitted their ? is wack but he got to salute them just because. And USmarine basically summed it up.

Radiohead are for intelligent people and Music elitist, and i am dumb for not knowing why a rock group has no major hits yet they are the music journalist favourites.

I dont want to difficultly digest my ? , i want good music.
  • hiphophova
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I dont care if artist make the same song over again or they been wack for decades, do you have hits ?

ACDC yes
    U2 yes

radiohead ?
  • Kame
    edited November 2011
    Options

One talking about reinventing themselves, Idi Amin Dada admitted their ? is wack but he got to salute them just because. And USmarine basically summed it up.

Radiohead are for intelligent people and Music elitist, and i am dumb for not knowing why a rock group has no major hits yet they are the music journalist favourites.

I dont want to difficulty digest your ? , i want good music.

you want good music, but that doesn't necessarily mean that entails being on the radio though...
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I dont care if artist make the same song over again or they been wack for decades, do you have hits ?

ACDC yes
    U2 yes

radiohead ?

I dont want to difficultly digest my ? , i want good music.

that sums it right up smh
  • usmarin3
    edited November 2011
    Options

ACDC yes
    U2 yes

radiohead ?

Dude, i don't think Radiohead are hung up on hits and sales like you are. The mfs gave away their album for free a few years ago and told the fans if they felt like paying for it, pay for it.
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I still remember seein the "Paranoid Android" video on MTV when I was younger and havin nightmares bout that ? ....And I still don't think anybody knows what all that ? means...