How many people were raised in a religious observant household?

Options
And Step
And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I know a lot of people who gravitate towards a particular faith or believe system when they get older.

But how many people were actually raised in a traditional religious enviroment and did you stay with it or migrate.

Just curious.

Comments

• TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    me not..already my grandmother left church wich was kinda crazy back then
    my momz didnt really care about religion
    im probably the first of them to regain interest in religion
  • nusouthorigin
    nusouthorigin Members Posts: 8
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Originally raised Catholic, in fact my mother still is.
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited June 2010
    Options
    raised christian, but always questioned and finally jumped ship in high school.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    oliverlang wrote: »
    raised christian, but always questioned and finally jumped ship in high school.

Pretty much me too.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I defected from the cult of Western Liberal Democracy at age 11 after reading "Soul on Ice" and "The Autobiography of Malcolm X".
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited June 2010
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    "The Autobiography of Malcolm X".

For better or worse, I think this was a lot of people's awakening...
  • And Step
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I had no religious upbringing. Occasional Easter migration with relatives.

Last week in college read the Autobiography of Malcolm and it was a wrap. Been on a journey ever since.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Raised Christian, everything my family did revolved around ? . My fathers muslim but I didnt know til I was like 17 cause he's in jail and we never talked about religion til then. When i was 14 told my mom it was ? and I aint goin no more because I wanted to go search around and make sure I was following the right thing. After like 8 years of searching for proof the bible was right, or proof to me that another ? was I came to the realization that at least a religious ? aint real and all of the ? is just part of your mind, leaning towards man acually being ? now.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Options
    my parents are very observant, but they're also not very dogmatic (my father, for example, was raised Roman Catholic but gave that up because he has severe disagreements with their dogma); accordingly, myself and my siblings are not very observant but we're not anti-religious
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

My family has been blessed by ? because they have honored Him. Praise ? for all the faithful generations that came before me. I was raised to know Jesus Christ. I fell away when I got older, but ? honors His word and He answers prayers. ? is so good and amazing. He knows His sheep. If He starts with 100, He will come home with 100! He will never leave one of His sheep behind. Praise ? !
  • And Step
    edited June 2010
    Options
    "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

My family has been blessed by ? because they have honored Him. Praise ? for all the faithful generations that came before me. I was raised to know Jesus Christ. I fell away when I got older,

So you were not raised in the way you should go?
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Raised Catholic but I jumped ship when I was 16.....I saw how the Bible supported evil, genocide, and slavery.....I haven't looked back ever since. The Bible can suck my ? as far as I'm concerned.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    So you were not raised in the way you should go?

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."
    Isaiah 53:6

I am a sinner and I did what all sinners do. But thank ? that He had mercy on me and called me back to Himself. I answered His call because of the seeds that were 1st planted into my spirit when I was a child growing up. I knew the voice of the Lord and when I heard it, I answered Him. Give glory to ? ! Hallelujah!
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
    edited June 2010
    Options

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all."
    Isaiah 53:6

I am a sinner and I did what all sinners do. But thank ? that He had mercy on me and called me back to Himself. I answered His call because of the seeds that were 1st planted into my spirit when I was a child growing up. I knew the voice of the Lord and when I heard it, I answered Him. Give glory to ? ! Hallelujah!

if you couldnt have stopped sinning without gods help then you are a pathetic excuse for a human who could never do anything on his own two feet.
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
    edited June 2010
    Options
    my stepfather worked for the church, and my grandmother ran the choir and i was in the childrens choir. till i started noticing how uncomfortable everyone got when i would ask questions, and a lot of the time, the "you'll know when you're older" bs came into play. fools. i grew up and i did know. and i took half of the youth group with me. lol