Christmas & Faith: Your Stories

Options
TeekasaurusRex
TeekasaurusRex Members Posts: 17
edited December 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
For anybody out there who's Catholic, Advent started this past Sunday; what are your plans? I know some people sacrifice something they like or make a vow to enrich themselves in some spiritual way. If you aren't Catholic, how are you guys getting ready for the celebration of Jesus' birth? Also: any *non-offensive* questions about the Catholic faith, feel free to post!

Me: I started an "Advent" Bible devotion plan on YouVersion, the Bible app. I think that should do it :P

Comments

• The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Is Christmas Biblical?
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    why yall call The Pope "Holy Father"
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    For anybody out there who's Catholic, Advent started this past Sunday--
    Advent is only recognized by Catholics?
  • TeekasaurusRex
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Christmas is Biblical, yeah, the word "Christ" smack in the middle of it would suggest that. Catholics believe that the Pope is a descendant of one of the apostles, who were called holy by Christ himself. This may or may not be proven by DNA, it's mainly just tradition. He's a figurehead, and he kinda guides the church as a whole, especially when it gets heat from people out of the religion. Advent started with people of Catholic descent (the word catholic actually means something like "one" or "united"), but other Christian faiths practice it. Catholics are the only religious group I know of with literal traditions and practices that happen during the time of Advent, while other faiths celebrate it in a more spiritual way. Hope that answered everything there.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Is Christmas Biblical?

Hell to the naw!

But I celebrate Christmas, no religions or greater beings attached.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    As a Catholic person, how do you respond to Matthew 23:9?

"Do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven."

Please answer in your own words instead of copy/pasting something.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Catholics believe that the Pope is a descendant of one of the apostles, who were called holy by Christ himself.
    This may or may not be proven

lol.................................
  • TeekasaurusRex
    edited December 2011
    Options
    As a Catholic person, how do you respond to Matthew 23:9?

"Do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven."

Please answer in your own words instead of copy/pasting something.

Those were my own words, to start with. The Pope is a figurehead, as I posted before, and he represents the Catholic church as a whole. We don't call him father, we call priests that, and that is also because of the role they represent for the church, as liaisons between church members and ? . It's just a title, not saying that we believe priests are the Father himself. I've never studied at a convent or anything like that, so I can't neccesarily get into much detail on that, but I'm sure you or anyone could look it up, or ask someone who would have the answer you're looking for.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    So you clearly see where the Bible says "DONT CALL MEN FATHER" but you do it anyway. Okay.

Also, Catholics certainly do call the Pope the Holy Father.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Those were my own words, to start with. The Pope is a figurehead, as I posted before, and he represents the Catholic church as a whole. We don't call him father, we call priests that, and that is also because of the role they represent for the church, as liaisons between church members and ? . It's just a title, not saying that we believe priests are the Father himself. I've never studied at a convent or anything like that, so I can't neccesarily get into much detail on that, but I'm sure you or anyone could look it up, or ask someone who would have the answer you're looking for.

you shouldn't call no Pope or Priest your father except YAHUWAH, take heed what the Master Teacher said in Matthew 23
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Catholics are the only religious group I know of with literal traditions and practices that happen during the time of Advent, while other faiths celebrate it in a more spiritual way.
    how to put this in a friendly manner ... this notion is inaccurate