So I just started going to JW's church/meetings but I'm still not sure....

Options
turqiun
turqiun Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Is ? real or no? I see people saying the bible is not to be taken in literally. So is ? real and the stories aren't to be taken literally or the other way around.

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    In my personal experience, I've gained more from the stories in the bible when reading them as metaphorical or allegorical.

As far as ? being real, imo, the ? of the bible is not real but is a good representation of the mind of man at that time.
  • turqiun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yea I see what you mean cause back then man was thinking a lot differently than he does today.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The biblical ? no, the Qurans ? now that im almost done I dont think he is either. As for a universal ? existing, im not sure, its possible a higher power is somewhere but that doesnt have to be a ? like character. I think that humans are the real ? as for right now though.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yes, very real. Develop yourself spiritually. Learn to live, eat and think properly and the Bible will look totally different to you. The Quran and all scriptures as well

Most people think they can just read a book and they can gain understanding just off of reading the words. If you don't attempt to live the principles contained therein you will never gain understanding.

Matter of fact, the Quran makes the bold claim that it is not a book that you can just read and gain benefit from. It says repeatedly that it is a guide for those who believe and keep their duty. If you don't believe in it and don't strive to be dutiful to the principles then you are wasting your time.

Any field of knowledge has the principle of practical application attached to it. You can't gain proficiency or understanding without it. I laugh when people tell me they read something and therefore have come to the conclusion that it is false. I know I'm talking to a surface dweller.
  • And Step
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The biblical ? no, the Qurans ? now that im almost done I dont think he is either. As for a universal ? existing, im not sure, its possible a higher power is somewhere but that doesnt have to be a ? like character. I think that humans are the real ? as for right now though.

Do you even know or understand what the word ? means or implies?
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Do you even know or understand what the word ? means or implies?

To me ? means a supreme being, a being who is understood as the truth, mind, soul, love, , spirit, and principle.

And by that defenition of what ? is I accept that I am a ? .
  • turqiun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yea i"m just saying I never was religous before two months ago but my life was going to ? . JWs came to my door and I actually had a discussion with them. I was doing private studies, going to meeting on sunday and I still got four tickets in the last 3 weeks. I try to be the best person I can but my life is still plagued with bad luck. As I'm typing this, like i said I have four tickets in the last 3 weeks and there is a cop posted outside my job with an hour left till closing time. ? is just waiting for me to leave.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    turqiun wrote: »
    Yea i"m just saying I never was religous before two months ago but my life was going to ? . JWs came to my door and I actually had a discussion with them. I was doing private studies, going to meeting on sunday and I still got four tickets in the last 3 weeks. I try to be the best person I can but my life is still plagued with bad luck. As I'm typing this, like i said I have four tickets in the last 3 weeks and there is a cop posted outside my job with an hour left till closing time. ? is just waiting for me to leave.

Get rid of him then if hes on you like that
  • turqiun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Get rid of him then if hes on you like that

Luckily I have a home girl coming to pick me up. I'm just gonna have to get my car in the morning. Where is G.O.D. when I need him?
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    In my personal experience, I've gained more from the stories in the bible when reading them as metaphorical or allegorical.

The Bible is worth reading simply because of the enormous impact of Abrahamic religion on Western Civilization, but even when you look at the Bible's stories as metaphor and allegory, I would say it's a pretty weak book to get much out of. Even considering it as allegory, you can't really get around all the endorsement of brutality, violence, barbarianism, and genocide found in the pages. But there are some other parts that could be worthwhile.

In my personal opinion, the best biblical allegory isn't in the Bible. It's in art/film/theater/literature that eludes to sections of the Bible. One example that scene at the end of the graduate in the church where his shirt rips and hangs like the famous depiction of Jesus' garb, and he fights off the crowd by swinging a wooden cross at them. Even in video games, there's some good stuff. Look at Metal Gear Solid 4, the scene at the end of the game where you gonna drag yourself through the microwave hallway to save the world from nuclear catastrophe...it's an amazing allegoric representation of Christ carrying the cross.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Luckily I have a home girl coming to pick me up. I'm just gonna have to get my car in the morning. Where is G.O.D. when I need him?

In your mind. ? wont save you, never has never will. The best you can do is pray, most of the time ? never answered, the one time it is every 15 years you can gladly jump in holy shivers that this couldnt have been random and that ? truly answered your prayers.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    The Bible is worth reading simply because of the enormous impact of Abrahamic religion on Western Civilization, but even when you look at the Bible's stories as metaphor and allegory, I would say it's a pretty weak book to get much out of. Even considering it as allegory, you can't really get around all the endorsement of brutality, violence, barbarianism, and genocide found in the pages. But there are some other parts that could be worthwhile.

In my personal opinion, the best biblical allegory isn't in the Bible. It's in art/film/theater/literature that eludes to sections of the Bible. One example that scene at the end of the graduate in the church where his shirt rips and hangs like the famous depiction of Jesus' garb, and he fights off the crowd by swinging a wooden cross at them. Even in video games, there's some good stuff. Look at Metal Gear Solid 4, the scene at the end of the game where you gonna drag yourself through the microwave hallway to save the world from nuclear catastrophe...it's an amazing allegoric representation of Christ carrying the cross.

As the saying goes, take what ya need and leave the rest.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Is ? real or no? I see people saying the bible is not to be taken in literally. So is ? real and the stories aren't to be taken literally or the other way around.

I would first advise you to stop going to the kingdom hall. JW's are a cult and the end of all those who follow them will be destruction.

I can not emphasize it enough my brother. Stay away from JW's. They will lead you to destruction.
  • turqiun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I would first advise you to stop going to the kingdom hall. JW's are a cult and the end of all those who follow them will be destruction.

I can not emphasize it enough my brother. Stay away from JW's. They will lead you to destruction.

Have you researched what the study? They just study the bible, what the bible actaully teaches. I used to think they were weird people but all I have seen was them studying the bible. There is no cult. lol
  • turqiun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    In your mind. ? wont save you, never has never will. The best you can do is pray, most of the time ? never answered, the one time it is every 15 years you can gladly jump in holy shivers that this couldnt have been random and that ? truly answered your prayers.

Yea I don't know, I'm confused about what I wanna believe in.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    JW's are a cult

By definition, all religions are cults.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options

Confusion is a great place to be. Just ask questions, doesn't necessarily have to be a person, just in your head or out in the air, answers have an uncanny way of finding the questioner.
  • ThaChozenWun
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Confusion is a great place to be. Just ask questions, doesn't necessarily have to be a person, just in your head or out in the air, answers have an uncanny way of finding the questioner.

Exactly, I asked questions hoping it would help solidify by belief in Christianity because I was confused as to why some things didnt fit. I can say now I have alot less questions and acually believe fully in what I think. It may not be the outcome I intended to end with, but I feel its the absolute truth now so I'm glad I followed it.
  • Rock_Well
    Rock_Well Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

The ? of the Bible is as real as it get my friend.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The ? of the Bible is as real as it get my friend.

We live our entire lives through the confines of our mind.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

the good thing about it is that its YOUR decision at the end of the day and you dont have to rush it.
  • And Step
    edited June 2010
    Options

That's not bad luck. Thats not obeying the law either stop parking illegally or put coins in the meter.
  • And Step
    edited June 2010
    Options

According to the Bible, so are fornicators.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Have you researched what the study? They just study the bible, what the bible actaully teaches. I used to think they were weird people but all I have seen was them studying the bible. There is no cult. lol
    I've done extensive research into this cult. I really can not emphasize it enough my brother. These people will lead you to hell my friend. They do not worship ? . They do not worship the true and living ? , Jesus Christ. Do your own research my friend. They have purposely altered the Bible to fit their own doctrine and agenda. Here is a summary of their cult beliefs.

• They believe that Jesus did not rise from the dead. Russell says His body either dissolved into gases or is still preserved somewhere.
    • They believe that ? is not triune (i.e., Father, Son, and Holy Ghost).
    • They believe that there is no such thing as a hell of everlasting torment. Hell is just the grave. The wicked are simply annihilated.
    • They believe that man has no spirit.
    • They believe the Holy Ghost is not a person of the Godhead, just a "life force" of ? .
    • They exercise mind control over members.
    • They believe that man must work to be part of "? 's system of things".
    • They believe that only the 144,000 mentioned in the book of Revelation will live in heaven with ? .
    • They believe all dead people will have a second chance for eternal life at the millennium. If you do not prove worthiness at this time, you'll be destroyed.
    • The believe the blood of Christ does not forgive sins, it gives us a "chance" to live again. They have NO assurance of salvation as Jehovah's Witnesses who supposedly know the truth.
    • They believe Jesus is the archangel Michael - Jesus is a created being.
    • They believe Jesus is just an agent of ? , nothing more.
    • They believe that Jesus' second coming occurred invisibly in 1874. Russell's successor, Rutherford, says this was confirmed by the creation of the first labor organization in 1874.
    • They believed Russell when he said that in 1914 the millennium would occur and righteousness would be restored to the earth. As 1914 approached, he, and his successor, changed the date to 1915, 1916, 1924, 1928, and on and on to the present day! When you ask a Jehovah's Witness about this, they'll give you the party line, "Well, the Watchtower is reaching different levels of enlightenment."

Jesus said to "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." Matthew 7:15

Jesus also said that leading up to the last days,
    "many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many." Matthew 24:11

JW's do not worship Jesus Christ my brother. They worship a ? of their imagination who they think is Jesus Christ. But all the while they totally deny who He is. Jesus Christ is ? and if you do not recognize Him as such, you will be doomed. Jesus Christ said that they that worship ? must worship him in spirit and in truth (John 4:24). You must worship ? in truth. If you totally deny who He is, how are you worshiping ? in truth?

I will leave you with these words my friend. Jesus Christ said that MANY people on the last day will cry out to Him saying that they did His will, but Jesus Christ will say He never knew them.
    "21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matthew 7:21-23

JW's will be part of the many people who will cry out to ? on that day. I urge you to research this cult and ask the true and living ? to give you understanding. You do not want to be led astray and neither do I. Thats why I am pleading with you my friend, stay away from these people. Find yourself a good BIBLE based and believing Church. A church that believes:

1.the Bible is the Divinely inspired, infallible, inerrant, and authoritative Word of ? .
    2.that there is one ? , eternally existent in three persons: ? the Father, ? the Son,
    and ? the Holy Spirit.
    3. in the ? birth of the Lord Jesus Christ, His deity, His sinless humanity, the eternal
    all-sufficiency of His atoning death, His ? resurrection, His ascension to the Father's right
    hand, His personal future return to this earth in power and Glory.
    4. in the Ministry of the Holy Spirit who convicts, regenerates, baptizes, indwells,
    enlightens and empowers believers for Godly living and imparts spiritual gifts for the edification
    of the body of Christ.
    5. that the church is the Spiritual Body of which Christ is the head, both functionally and
    eternally.
    6. in the resurrection and the eternal existence of all people in heaven or hell.

These are fundamental truths my friend. A good bible based and believing church will testify to these truths. One last thing, have you confessed Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    lol at jw being a cult but Christianity being no different