Miyamoto is retiring from current position

Options
imm0rt4l
imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in IllGaming
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/miyamoto-interview/
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. — The creator of Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda will step down from his current position at Nintendo but remain with the company to work on smaller, more personal projects, Wired.com has learned.

In an exclusive interview with Wired.com on Wednesday, the 59-year-old head of Nintendo’s game design department said that he will move away from supervising the development of massive games like this year’s Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and Super Mario 3D Land, passing the torch to the younger designers in the company and working on projects that won’t take as long to complete.

“Inside our office, I’ve been recently declaring, ‘I’m going to retire, I’m going to retire,’” Miyamoto said through his interpreter. “I’m not saying that I’m going to retire from game development altogether. What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position.”

“What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself,” Miyamoto said. “Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers. Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.”

this is both scary and exciting at the same time. I hope something tangible can come out of his new position. I hope someone can rise to the occasion and be as good a supervisor as he was.

Take the pistol out of your mouth focus...

Comments

• ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Very very interesting, the future of Nintendo is right now.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    maybe the new devs will let link speak....
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I dont think its a big deal until he leaves Nintendo and joins Microsoft or Sony.
  • imm0rt4l
    edited December 2011
    Options
    maybe the new devs will let link speak....

I'd prefer he didn't.
    I dont think its a big deal until he leaves Nintendo and joins Microsoft or Sony.

that would never happen.
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    sionb55 wrote: »
    He's not retiring.

Aaannnnd I just bought stock in Nintendo !!!! I've been watching that company for YEARS Shenco YEEAAARRS fam & FINALLY it's at a very good price. Bought it in Japanese Yen too. I'm sooo happy this ? is my early Christmas present. I used to pray & look forward to xmas morning & whether or not I'd get a snes, n64 & later a gamecube. Now Im buying stock in the same muthafuckas who own my childhood.

Life is good :)
    Did you buy a lot of stock or just a couple? If just a couple, you're pretty much wasting your time and that's in regards to any [successful] company.
  • imm0rt4l
    edited December 2011
    Options
    How many companies can ya name got a durable competitive advantage (53% of market share), makes too much money hand over fist (Sony last $3.3 billion dollars SMH), has very little to no debt & has large returns on equity & sells at a par value ? Got dayum.... ? better grab up Nintendo b4 that ? bolt right the ? back up....

Even IF Miyamoto left, Nintendo is the type of business that an idiot could run.

"I try to buy stock in businesses that are so wonderful that an idiot can run them. Because sooner or later, one will" - Warren Buffett

Miyamoto doesn't run Nintendo now.....and I call ? . Nintendo isn't bulletproof, but they are in the best standing.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • funkdocdamc
    funkdocdamc Members Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I bought a lot, fam ive DREAMED of owning Nintendo shares for a very long time. Its just that the price was sooo expensive (sold for nearly 3x its net worth).

Damn, this ? is only 17.45 a share right now.

Another damn at Microsoft ($25.40) and Sony's ($18.14) shares being higher than this even tho all three of them are dropping.

The high for the year for Nintendo was $38.60...I might have to hop on this ? myself. You already know it's only a matter of time before the new system (however awful it is) will be selling like hotcakes again.

Sony's stock high for the year ($36.97) isn't to far under Nintendo's for the year, but both of them are higher than Microsoft's ($29.46).