Minorities in mainly white neighborhoods

Options
KINGOFDAARCADE
KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
If you're a minority (black,mexican,asian) who lives, works, or was raised in a predominantly white neighborhood, this thread is for you.

Do you ever feel alienated or left out?

I grew up in a low-middle class area with alot of other minorities. I recently moved to the suburbs. Its all honkys talking about golf n hockey ? , wearing polo shirts, rocking their faggy whitepeople styled sunglasses, saying stuff like "gnarly".

I dont like it here. I feel like Chris Webber did in Sacremento. This place isnt for me. I need to be in the hood. I need to be around less white folk.

Then I see some ? here (I think he was born n raised here) and he fits in with the white people perfectly. So maybe I just need to get acclimated to this environment and give it some time.

I dunno. Any 1 else ever felt this way before?

Comments

• FrozenMind
    FrozenMind Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You don't like it because you are judging everyone around you based upon looks, race, vocabulary, and style of dress, creating a constant inner battle.
    I don't live in the suburbs, but I spend alot of time there. Just try to have an open mind and treat and think of others as human beings and not separate entities from yourself. White people in the suburbs are actually much easier to impress and get along with than most groups of people, you just need to learn the game. If your unbiased, pay attention and listen you will learn the game in less than a week.
  • KINGOFDAARCADE
    KINGOFDAARCADE Members Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You are right to some extent, but I also feel like the white folks are racist and dont like me right off the bat.
  • FrozenMind
    FrozenMind Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You are right to some extent, but I also feel like the white folks are racist and dont like me right off the bat.

Of course, and some ? don't like your ass off the bat either.
    Accept it, not everyone is going to like you. I personally enjoy being in environments where I am not liked. Gives me an opportunity to showcase game and ? on haters.
    If your concerned about what other people are thinking about you, or if they like you, you are not you are not going to feel comfortable or be yourself, regardless of who is around you, where you are, or what they think about you. Its all on you homie.
  • Legend24
    Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I live in a mainly white neighbourhood... moved from a hood neighbourhood about 10 years ago. Takes some time to get used to the switch but its all good, I enjoy white people. There were a few black people in my school growing up that I hung out with early on but they started getting into bad drugs and a lot of them dropped out. I moved on and switched up my crew. My white people and their parents accept me; I find that the most of the "hate" stopped in the last generation so all my friends' parents grew up to be respectful of different races and cultures. If you hit up the old school golf/country clubs or chill with people's grandparents then you may run into a bit of hostility but I can't speak from experience cause I don't do country clubs or chill with other people's grandparents.

Now that I'm in university and ? , there are even less black people. ? it though, good people are good people... white, black or whatever.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i live in the burbs and dont give a ? about these ? ......i live here because i like the house and love the school district(one of the best in the country) and im trying to prepare my kids for college and life. as for the whiteys....they dont like me anyway...hell neither did the ni99as in the hood....but what makes me feel good is that alot of these people came from money....i came from nothing and yet we are in the same place...so if they wanna get slick with they mouth that simple fact will shut ? down....
    do i feel alienated...no like i said earlier. ? em. I know they are all staring at me and checking me out and scared when i walk in the parking lot at nght...but whos problem is that? its not mine Im not scared. I also like when i go to the pool an everyone gets out, then me and my peeps have the pool all to our selves. sometimes the ? is beneficial. but white people will always be weary of black people. no matter what they tell you. so get used to it and dont change who you are for them or try to dumb down or be less threatening. keep your stride and they will fall in line an get used to it.

matter of fact im going to rita's water ice right now with my music blasting gorilla "hood ni99a"