Modern Warfare 3? is the fastest to $1 billion

Options
big_chris67
big_chris67 Members Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in IllGaming
It's been a rocky year for video games sales, but don't tell that to Call of Duty.

Game publisher Activision Blizzard announced on Monday that Modern Warfare 3, the latest entry in their blockbuster shooter series, topped $1 billion in worldwide sales a record 16 days after its release on November 8th. That beats the previous record holder, James Cameron's 2009 3D film "Avatar", which took 17 days to reach the mark.

Read: James Cameron slapped with lawsuit over "Avatar" plot

"Call of Duty has become that rare entertainment franchise that transcends its own genre" said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. "Core gamers love it, as our stellar reviews show. But every year, new people are drawn into Call of Duty."

Reaching $1 billion in just over two weeks is impressive, but it's not like we didn't see it coming. The game already set new entertainment launch records by earning $400 million in its first 24 hours and $775 million in its first five days.

Modern Warfare 3's spectacular start -- a full 7% ahead of last year's smash hit Call of Duty: Black Ops -- helped November game sales exceed analyst expectations, though on the whole, 2011 has been a down year for the industry.

Activision is also seeing dollar signs thanks to the company's Call of Duty Elite subscription service, which gives users access to a robust suite of stat tracking, tips and other features. Over 6 million players have registered for the service since launching alongside Modern Warfare 3 in early November, a million of which are paid, premium subscriptions. Activision points out it took Netflix and Xbox Live a solid year to reach one million paid subscribers.

Critics are digging the game, too. Over the weekend, Modern Warfare 3 won the 'Best Shooter' category in the 2011 Spike TV Video Game Awards.

? Battlefield!!!

Comments

• One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    And...? We expected less?

Where's Joshua Boy and his Twilight ether!?
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »

the ratings for twilight on imdb are shocking lol...

i guess ppl be hating because they dont follow the original novel word 4 word...

but yet twilight jus keeps on making $$$

? love 2 hate i guess.

ahhh well.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »

Spliff actually thinks Twilight is good so he wouldn't get it. Maybe he will understand if I use the Bieber file this time. lol
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
    neva seen twilight, but the numbers each movie puts up clearly indicate that a whole lot of people like those movies 4 sum reason...the ratings indicate the movie has alot of haters (most likely the same people who keep on watching)

same with beiber...neva listened 2 any of his albums...but heard a song or 2...n people most like the cathcy hooks i guess...cant hate on him 4 making music that his fans like

same goes with cod...they give the consumer what THE CONSUMER WANTS.

shooters like battlefield clearly dont giv the consumer what they want, otherwise they wud be puttin up COD numbers.

keep hatin tho.
  • joshuaboy
    edited December 2011
    Options
    So Spliff, question for you: Which is better? FIFA or PES?

Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
    PES of course.

but fifa give the consumer what they want...

liscenses, more features, easier gameplay, n00b features etc...

which does'nt make it a better game.

COD jus happens to be able to give the consumer what they want while still maintaining the best gameplay.
  • joshuaboy
    edited December 2011
    Options
    One Spliff wrote: »
    PES of course.

but fifa give the consumer what they want...

liscenses, more features, easier gameplay, n00b features etc...

which does'nt make it a better game.

COD jus happens to be able to give the consumer what they want while still maintaining the best gameplay.

but but but but but but

PES 2012 sold 2.04 million copies wile FIFA 12 sold 6.83

Spliff ....................................................................................... the numbers don't lie!!!!
  • joshuaboy
    edited December 2011
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    How much did movies like Titanic, Avatar, Dark Knight and etc make? Way more than Twiight....but you fail to name those huh

More times than not the good movies sell way more than "average" movies

Fact is there will always be exception to the rules and obviously Twlight isnt that bad if it's selling

? seem to think just because they don't like something then everyone else doesnt.

Fact is million upon million upon millions think MW3 is a great game and no matter how much you guys ? about it... this will remain a fact

1 billion in 16 days????? lol bf3 been out 3 months and hasnt reached 500 million

Hey, this don't involve you! It's a British argument. Keep out.

:D
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
    joshuaboy wrote: »
    but but but but but but

PES 2012 sold 2.04 million copies wile FIFA 12 sold 6.83

Spliff ....................................................................................... the numbers don't lie!!!!

obviously simple concepts go over your head, lol.

sales proove that waaaay more people like MW3, than BF3...which also make your precious IGN polls null and void.

sales also proove that more people like FIFA than PES...numbers don't lie, which is why i've never denied fifa's popularity.

my point is that the hate for COD, twilight etc...are form losers who love to hate, because for sum reason they dont think cod/twilight deserve the populairty they receieve...but yet they make more n more $$$ every year.

eventually u haters r guna jus have to let it go.
  • joshuaboy
    edited December 2011
    Options
    neva seen twilight, but the numbers each movie puts up clearly indicate that a whole lot of people like those movies 4 sum reason...the ratings indicate the movie has alot of haters (most likely the same people who keep on watching)

same with beiber...neva listened 2 any of his albums...but heard a song or 2...n people most like the cathcy hooks i guess...cant hate on him 4 making music that his fans like

same goes with cod...they give the consumer what THE CONSUMER WANTS.

shooters like battlefield clearly dont giv the consumer what they want, otherwise they wud be puttin up COD numbers.

keep hatin tho.

Spliff bro, sorry, gotta bite my tongue and take back what I said about Bieber.

SMH

article-2073560-0F29263600000578-377_636x357.jpg
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Spliff bro, sorry, gotta bite my tongue and take back what I said about Bieber.

SMH

article-2073560-0F29263600000578-377_636x357.jpg

LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i ? with beiber.
  • joshuaboy
    edited December 2011
    Options
    LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i ? with beiber.

Yep ............. he's got two new fans now. lol lol

article-2073560-0F28873800000578-178_468x298.jpg
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Titanic and Avatar are wack movies.
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    obviously simple concepts go over your head, lol.

sales proove that waaaay more people like MW3, than BF3...which also make your precious IGN polls null and void.

sales also proove that more people like FIFA than PES...numbers don't lie, which is why i've never denied fifa's popularity.

my point is that the hate for COD, twilight etc...are form losers who love to hate, because for sum reason they dont think cod/twilight deserve the populairty they receieve...but yet they make more n more $$$ every year.

eventually u haters r guna jus have to let it go.

how do u see this with one genre and not the other? its crazy...
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
    kanggoodie wrote: »
    how do u see this with one genre and not the other? its crazy...

see what ?
  • kanggoodie
    kanggoodie Members Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    sales based on popularity
  • joshuaboy
    edited December 2011
    Options
    see what ?

you always said the "better" game is the one that sells more.

Guess that only relates to BF vs COD. lol
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Spliff only sees what he wants.

LMAO really though, you can see that in movies or other games but REFUSE to allow yourself to see it in the BF vs COD situation.
  • One Spliff
    edited December 2011
    Options
    you always said the "better" game is the one that sells more.

Guess that only relates to BF vs COD. lol

yea but it does tho...

lol

of course sales = better game. (acorrding to consumers)....that does'nt mean i have to agree EVERYTIME.

the hell ?

fifa selling more than pes means MORE PEOPLE THINK FIFA IS A BETTER GAME THAN PES...thats a fact that i simply can not deny...do i agree ?...HELL NO.

why is this concept so hard to understand ?