gaming needs more innovative fighters

Options
Mdizzle9000
Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in IllGaming
aside from super smash bros, fighting games haven't changed much aside from graphics. Wouldn't it be nice to see some originality like nintendo and smash bros(one of the few things they still do right)? nintendo did it up with the items and stages in ssb but no other fighters really come out doing anything different.

any ideas of your own on what could take the genre to the next level?

Comments

• grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    your playing the wrong fighters.
  • Sym_
    Sym_ Members Posts: 842
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Exactly there are good fighters you just overlook them cause its more than "jump from here to here" or "shoot, duc, shoot, cover, shoot" wash rinse repeat and never spend time to truly learn the game
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Smash Bros is the wackest fighting game
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options

man get out of here lol....
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options

the controls in that ? are garbage lol.it's a good concept but it needs a better engine and fine tuning.
  • intalect
    intalect Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I like whats out there right now its slowly coming back fighting games are the most challenging to master and hard for developers to throw new ideas out there but seriously I wouldn't mind Seeing Killer Instinct, Rival Schools, and Powerstone making a return somewhat!
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Smash bros isn't a fighting game.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    man get out of here lol....

Brawl is a 1 out of 10

Melee was a good game by accident, they didnt even know wave dashing was in the game until ppl got their hands on it
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Yea, aside from fighting games like Smash Bros. and a couple others...most fighters are still about 1x1 or team faceoffs until someone's health bar runs out. A "good" fighting game doesn't automatically mean "innovative".

Hopefully the upcoming Anarchy Reigns will be good.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    by "innovative" you mean gimmicky?
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    intalect wrote: »
    fighting games are the most challenging to master and hard for developers to throw new ideas out there

Yea, I guess this is true. Probably why Sony is make that Smash Bros knockoff.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    = waitin on Tekken X Streetfighter

Smash Bros ain't innovative lol, that ? was released in the N64 days.....another Shaolin Monks, now that would be the ? ..
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Alkindus wrote: »
    = waitin on Tekken X Streetfighter

Smash Bros ain't innovative lol, that ? was released in the N64 days.....another Shaolin Monks, now that would be the ? ..

it was released in n64 and since then i havent seen much else new to the genre

and for those saying im overlooking ? , educate me please
  • imm0rt4l
    imm0rt4l Members Posts: 683 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Two problems with fighting games moving forward in my opinion, one is that no one outside of Japan will bother making a fighting game. Fighting games are mostly rooted in arcade culture, arcades are dying. Western developers need to capitalize on this and take what makes good fighters and improve on it moreso than capcom, sammy,namco, aksys etc. Japanese devs in general are pretty stagnant and have fallen to thewayside, a game being made in japan doesn't mean ? , back in the day that meant quality. a Western dev not named midway needs to pick up on this and take advantage of the current fighting game boom, also they need to make a game with good netcode. Japanese developers put little thought into netcode because 1. Japan has Godlike bandwidth, and 2. they live on an island the size of California, latency isn't a problem for them.
  • Mdizzle9000
    edited December 2011
    Options
    something needs to be done instead of the same ol healthbar, i wanna see new ways to win, on some specific body damage ie wrestling games,
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    it was released in n64 and since then i havent seen much else new to the genre

and for those saying im overlooking ? , educate me please

come on son, Smash Bros is to the fighting genre what Mario Kart is in the racing genre, it's great fun, but don't get carried away lol.

Back in the N64 days, you had Fighters Destiny(takedowns and ? ) sick azz Bio Freaks, 3D gaming just started btw, so the first DoA/Tekken/Virtua Fighter etc there have been many innovative fighting games, the Dreamcast alone was fighting game heaven, from Tech Romancer, toProject Justice/ Powerstone/Soul Calibur/DoA/Virtua Fighter the other many capcom games etc.