Who would of had the bigger career: Jay-Z or Biggie?

Options
H-Rap 180
H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Face Off Forum

Comments

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Jay. Not only could Biggie not write songs, construct hits, but fat boy was lazy.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    jay-z. he lived longer
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Jay Z. Just better.
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited December 2011
    Options
    big....j even admitt that katz slept on him n 96 he didnt blow up till 2yz after pac & big died
  • Bender Rodriguez
    Bender Rodriguez Members Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Living>>>>>being dead
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I think Biggie would be like a more successful Nas and Jay-Z would not be nearly as successful
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I say Big. Before his death he was a multi platnuim artist and Jay was looked at his lil homie,and was only a gold artist. The death of Pac and Big changed the course of hip hop and opened up the lanes for dmx, puffy, master p, ja rule, jayz, ect... I dont think Big would have gotten Bigger than he already was, but I definitely don't think Jay would of surpassed Big's success up to 96', Its possibly, but I don't think so.
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I think Biggie would be like a more successful Nas and Jay-Z would not be nearly as successful

Nas experienced his most success while Big was alive. Nas was a multi platnuim artist just like Big was
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    whoever sayin jay z is a stan.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    whoever sayin jay z is a stan.

not really. if anything the question is unfair
    a rapper that has been in the game for 15 years is obviously going to have more albums, more hit singles, more records sold, more number 1 albums,etc. than a rapper who career was cut short after three years
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    would jigga even be "international" if biggie was still present ?

my guess is yes, knowing how jigga schemes and snakes he would of found some way to wittingly climb over biggie and snatch the top spot ....
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    big was king of new york and had hits when he died. jay only came up b/c the king got killed and the spot was open
  • son of 1973
    son of 1973 Members Posts: 769
    edited December 2011
    Options
    gman82 wrote: »
    I say Big. Before his death he was a multi platnuim artist and Jay was looked at his lil homie,and was only a gold artist. The death of Pac and Big changed the course of hip hop and opened up the lanes for dmx, puffy, master p, ja rule, jayz, ect... I dont think Big would have gotten Bigger than he already was, but I definitely don't think Jay would of surpassed Big's success up to 96', Its possibly, but I don't think so.

This right here. Jay wasnt even seen as his lil homie at the time though, just a dude who was eating off BIG's blueprint. BIG dying was the best thing to happen to Jay's career for real
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ? really act like Jay wouldn't have blown if BIG didn't die, lmao.

But yea, this is too large of a hypothetical.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ? really saying Jay? I don't think Big would of allowed the BK jester to spit so many of his rhymes if he was living.
  • Antwuan89
    Antwuan89 Members Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Biggie never had the time that Jay-Z had because of his untimely demise. Who knows what Biggie would have did given more time.

But if you compare to when they were both alive a lot people would say/argue that Biggie was the bigger star and King Of New York.

Jay-Z has had a great career im not taking anything away from his longevity. Of course Jay-Z would have still been a star if B.I.G. was alive, but here is the question would Jay-Z still be in Biggie's shadow if he was alive?

If I have to choose I would have to say Biggie based on how the 2 were when Biggie was alive and the way things were looking.
  • stealthbomber
    stealthbomber Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    cmon jay wins this any day. big was a good rapper but jay is an entreprenuer. big woulda been a better rapper but jay would be richer
  • Gooner
    Gooner Members Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Big as far as rap is concerned he was jus better...Jay wud be more successful money wise tho...and Jay was gonna blow up if Biggie had lived anyway because of the commission
  • jek
    jek Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Big woulda been the bigger star. Unlike Jay he actually had a good enough personally to possibly get some movie money as well. When he was alive and had his best album out and Jay Z was around and had what many believe to this day(I don't) was his best album RD out....Jay Z was still getting looked at like he was Big' s lil brother and had tons of trouble garnering interest in his so called classic. His best song at the time that Big was alive which was BK' s finest HAD BIG ON IT for Gods sake!!!! It's hard for me to imagine Jay pullin a Diggy Simons and being better than the B.I.G bro. Biggie is far from being as mediocre as a JoJo
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I don't deal in hypotheticals when it comes to rap
  • brklynbread
    brklynbread Members Posts: 33
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I hate this hypothetical cuz its so unfair. B.I.G's career can never be properly plotted out cuz he was killed and left such a short amount of material behind. If he made it out the chaos that was the east coast/ west coast beef, who knows what couldve happen. Yall gotta get off this mentality that he wouldve just been churning out Ready to Dies for the rest of his career. Every artists has a rise and decline and the audience has changes in tastes from time to time. You give me a top 5 MC alive and they have at least 1 album where they came short. How would the world would have viewed B.I.G if in some aspect came short on album? it would've grounded him more. How Hov gon' win u got him fightin ghosts? lol
  • mrclassick
    mrclassick Members Posts: 86
    edited December 2011
    Options
    jek wrote: »
    Big woulda been the bigger star. Unlike Jay he actually had a good enough personally to possibly get some movie money as well. When he was alive and had his best album out and Jay Z was around and had what many believe to this day(I don't) was his best album RD out....Jay Z was still getting looked at like he was Big' s lil brother and had tons of trouble garnering interest in his so called classic. His best song at the time that Big was alive which was BK' s finest HAD BIG ON IT for Gods sake!!!! It's hard for me to imagine Jay pullin a Diggy Simons and being better than the B.I.G bro. Biggie is far from being as mediocre as a JoJo

You made A compelling argument, But here is A flip side, What if Jay died, And Big was alive, Would he still be doing his thing 10-15 years later ?
  • ibedamned
    ibedamned Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    jay wouldnt have half his lines if big wouldnt have died, but big didnt demonstrate the business sense that Jay has.
  • supersajinfo
    supersajinfo Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Biggie was away to out of shape to live long I think Jay would out hustle Big to the top he was extremely determined.