Question for Americans about racism.

Options
djparamnesia
djparamnesia Confirm Email Posts: 434
edited June 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
First of I live in Manchester, England, so i dont have a clue what its like to live in america apart from what i see through the internet, t.v, movies and music. I think you cant really understand a persons way of thinking or there life until you walk in there shous. Im wondering what its like in America, are there any poor whites living in the inner city areas, are the poor working class areas mixed with different races. Over here all of the poorer areas are mixed and as far as our hip hop scene goes, white people are accepted and are treated no differently than any other race. Where as in america it seems there are barely any white mc's, and if there are they have to prove themself more and are dismissed quickly by some people because of there skin. Over here every race are comeing from the same situations, and therefore are more accepted if they are white, i feel. Obviously like anywhere in the world there is racism, in my city its more where your from or what you wear that people judge u on, if u walk in a shop nd you look a certain way they think your going to steal ? . So basiclly i want to know how segragated are the different races and how bad is racism in america, the racism seems worse in America towards minorities than it is here, although we still have it. Here its more the upper class look down on everyone, the middle class look down on the working class and want to be upper class, and the working class dnt like both of them. Some things will seem ignorant, but remember ive never been to america and have no clue what its actually like over there.

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    First of I live in Manchester, England, so i dont have a clue what its like to live in america apart from what i see through the internet, t.v, movies and music.
    Don't believe anything you see on TV, the Internet, Movies, and Music about America. Rap is all a bunch of stereotypical cooning, people lowering themselves in hopes of pursuing higher profit, and a bunch of liars. If it's "backpacking" type artist from NYC, IE Mos Def, Talib, etc... they speak the truth. But any mainstream artist outside of Lupe and maybe a few others i cant think of right now are selling you lies.
    I think you cant really understand a persons way of thinking or there life until you walk in there shous.
    I applaud you for this. People always believe they know how the next man thinks secretly and bases judgement off of it. Thats where ignorance is shown and racism is born.

Im wondering what its like in America, are there any poor whites living in the inner city areas, are the poor working class areas mixed with different races.
    There is trailor parks, they are prodominantly white areas, they are poor. This is where you will find a good deal of white racists that are poor. The other are inner city areas, the projects, and small run down towns. These are often mixed with alot of races and for the most part outside of big cities dont have any racial tensions.
    Over here all of the poorer areas are mixed and as far as our hip hop scene goes, white people are accepted and are treated no differently than any other race. Where as in america it seems there are barely any white mc's
    Alot of white british rappers are ass anyway, but Black America accepts white Mc's as long as you can spit and arent degrading the genre. The lack of white rappers though arent because of any racism or anything, white people buy the majority of albums, its because they are ass and they rather listen to Wayne and Gucci. Put a white boy on young money right now and I bet he sells a mili wether hes ass or not.
    Over here every race are comeing from the same situations, and therefore are more accepted if they are white, i feel.
    Over here we have alot of people, black and white, rapping about lifestyles they never lived. I dont hear people getting clowned because they are a certain color and rap, but I do hear them getting clowned because they are from Beverly Hills talking about sellin dope and getting into shootouts.

Obviously like anywhere in the world there is racism, in my city its more where your from or what you wear that people judge u on, if u walk in a shop nd you look a certain way they think your going to steal ? .
    That happens to black folks almost everywhere they go, if your from a slum it happens, its ridden with crime you will get watched. But it happens in middle class neighborhoods to, which dont happen to alot of whites. If you walk in with your pants around your ass and triple xl white tee on when you weigh 110 lbs Id watch your ass to.
    So basiclly i want to know how segragated are the different races and how bad is racism in america, the racism seems worse in America towards minorities than it is here, although we still have it. Here its more the upper class look down on everyone, the middle class look down on the working class and want to be upper class, and the working class dnt like both of them. Some things will seem ignorant, but remember ive never been to america and have no clue what its actually like over there.

Racism aint as bad as you read on here or see on the TV. There are groups like the KKK, Neo Nazis, etc.. that do exist. You do have black racist groups that exist, same with Hispanics, Asians and stuff but for the most part it aint. You go into a rich neighborhood its worst becuase they arent used to seein another race unless its a butler or on tv. Middle Class has a good bit of African Americans mixed in so its not a major problem there and Poor people have alot of mixing amongst certain communities. Inner City slums are mostly black, but get out of the cities and its a even mix in racial balance. You go down South though and ? terrible.
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i'm from nashville, which is in the southern part of the US. and I can tell you that nashville and the surrounding area is full of good people. way too much country ? when you go downtown, but what are you going to do. tourists eat it up. anyway, as far as race relations go, it's pretty good for the most part, but that could be because people are so separated. there are pretty much areas dominated by a certain race (latinos, kurds, asians, whites, blacks) and where they overlap is where the gangs happen to stay. of course you're going to have a small pocket of idiots (from all sides) who just hate each other just because. as far as hip hop goes here, many people are on that typical southern mainstream ? . but, there's crazy talent here (black and white rappers). but if you're not from atlanta, miami, or new orleans right now people don't really listen. image has become more important unfortunately. my friend advised me to go to nyc or chicago because, "people down here just ain't ready for that." don't know if that helped, but that's just the part of the US i really know about. I've been all over it, but i don't want to speak for others.
  • djparamnesia
    djparamnesia Confirm Email Posts: 434
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I agree many of our mc's are ? , we have got some very talented ones though, although they may not appeal to americans as much because of there accents which isnt as clear as americans accents. i think our hip hop is getting better though nd the radio hip hop hasnt totally sold out yet. I know for a fact that white rappers in america get judged for bein white, asher roth doesnt spit no gangster ? , but i always see people sayin ? like look at this white boy smh, there are alot who will just disrigard a rapper if hes white from my time spent in discussions and comment on the internet. although there are alot that dont take it into account aslong as they are real to themsleves as an mc. I know they were poor white people, i meant more are there none in the inner citys in the ghettos. thanks for your replys, i dnt really trust t.v or things like that for how things actually our, best way is to ask people who are living it.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I aint got a problem with Asher Roth, theres a good bit of stuff he spits that I dont like, but the same as Eminem there are a few songs here n there that arent bad.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ChozenWun has been on point with this thread, he pretty much is summing it up.
  • Gural
    Gural Members Posts: 96
    edited June 2010
    Options
    are there any poor whites living in the inner city areas.

Yes, my parents were Polish immigrants and came to Chicago in the mid 80's and we were very poor growing up. My mom was a maid and my dad was a janitor.

. So basiclly i want to know how segragated are the different races and how bad is racism in america

There are still lots of places in America whites blacks and latinos can't go because of racism. But speaking for me personally my GF is Mexican/Puerto Rican mix and I got friends from every different type of background you can imagine so don't believe everything the media says.

the racism seems worse in America towards minorities than it is here, although we still have it. Here its more the upper class look down on everyone, the middle class look down on the working class and want to be upper class, and the working class dnt like both of them.

I can't answer that because I've never been to the UK, but I'm not gonna deny that there is still racism against blacks and other minority groups here, I just live my life and associate with who I want and everyone else can go ? themselves.