The only reason the Iraq war is ending right now is Wikileaks

Options
@My_nameaintearl
@My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Social Lounge
When Bush set this timetable in 2008, it was with the explicit understanding that the end date would be re-negotiated and pushed further back.

For years, the Iraqis have been demanding that they be allowed to prosecute US military personnel under Iraqi law. The US has resisted this.

Bradley Manning leaked a whole bunch of ? , including the helicopter cam footage of American troops committing a war crime. Wikileaks made this imagery available globally. Once that tape dropped, the Iraqis had real ammo in their argument and could finally force the US to get out. They knew America would never succumb to their demand for judicial jurisdiction, so the occupation would have to be ended as per Bush's timetable.

Obama stans will be telling you "He ended the war!" but it ain't true.

Comments

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    When Bush set this timetable in 2008, it was with the explicit understanding that the end date would be re-negotiated and pushed further back.

For years, the Iraqis have been demanding that they be allowed to prosecute US military personnel under Iraqi law. The US has resisted this.

Bradley Manning leaked a whole bunch of ? , including the helicopter cam footage of American troops committing a war crime. Wikileaks made this imagery available globally. Once that tape dropped, the Iraqis had real ammo in their argument and could finally force the US to get out. They knew America would never succumb to their demand for judicial jurisdiction, so the occupation would have to be ended as per Bush's timetable.

Obama stans will be telling you "He ended the war!" but it ain't true.

this all seems fishy to me.

It seems to me that the U.S. government has too much investment in Iraq to leave now. Plus, the American government has stubbornly survived bad PR like this before, so what's the difference here? Secondly, we're still talking about war here, so anyone who doesn't think American atrocities haven't happened or isn't happening is deluding himself. Wikilinks is just showing us what we all know already. What's the big deal?

I do agree that it's very possibly that Obama isn't ending a war because he's dug deep inside his heart. There's gotta be a different reason than this though.
  • shouse
    shouse Members Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It seems to me that the U.S. government has too much investment in Iraq to leave now. Plus, the American government has stubbornly survived bad PR like this before, so what's the difference here? Secondly, we're still talking about war here, so anyone who doesn't think American atrocities haven't happened or isn't happening is deluding himself. Wikilinks is just showing us what we all know already. What's the big deal?
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    What's the big deal?

Proof. Without those videos, all we had was stories and rumors. Now everybody in the world is an eyewitness to a US war crime.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Proof. Without those videos, all we had was stories and rumors. Now everybody in the world is an eyewitness to a US war crime.

True, but c'mon. We shouldn't be surprised. This is war. Like any war hasn't had atrocities on both sides. The proof just gives us visuals to what we should already know in our minds. I doubt that the American government is shook. And they can find all sorts of ways to distance themselves from these war crimes. I still don't see anything really big here.

EDIT: I also heard that the troops in Iraq are merely being moved to Afghanistan. Nothing has changed right? We're still at war unecessarily?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    EDIT: I also heard that the troops in Iraq are merely being moved to Afghanistan. Nothing has changed right? We're still at war unecessarily?
    it's not likely to be this simplistic of a move, especially since they're not claiming to be raising troop levels in Afghanistan