Curtis mayfield appreciation thread

Options
Serious Juice Mayne
Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Had to be made ?

Comments

• Coo Coo Cal's Beanie
    Coo Coo Cal's Beanie Members Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? dont ? with mayfield in 2010?
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    My dude I got so much C Mayfield, when I died I felt how people felt when Pac died real talk. I remember him and Grover Washington Jr died in 1999. RIP to one of Chitowns finest
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? dont ? with mayfield in 2010?

People in 2010 dont have enough music knowledge to even have an opinion on Curtis Mayfield.

Curtis All Time Great . 9/10 Your favorite artist was influenced musical by him
  • still-SBP
    still-SBP Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You mean this thread hasn't come up before?Curtis was a genius man.Superfly was a masterpiece and Pusherman is the ? "secret stash,heavy bread,baddest ? in the bed,i'm yo pusherman"
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    edited June 2010
    Options
    hell no this aint come up before
  • Super Lex
    Super Lex Members Posts: 460
    edited June 2010
    Options
    There was a Curtis Mayfield thread but this was back when this section had way more hits.
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Moms passed on the 2nd of this year.
    Besides my kid this is what helped me keep my sanityalways been a fan but damn, this is that one
  • still-SBP
    still-SBP Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    hell no this aint come up before

lmao @ you being mad about it
  • dj expanium
    dj expanium Confirm Email Posts: 3,581 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    still-SBP wrote: »
    You mean this thread hasn't come up before?Curtis was a genius man.Superfly was a masterpiece and Pusherman is the ? "secret stash,heavy bread,baddest ? in the bed,i'm yo pusherman"
    You know what, I don't know if we will ever find or see a soundtrack that contradicted a movie's overall theme. Tell me if I'm Wrong somebody.
  • king hassan
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You know what, I don't know if we will ever find or see a soundtrack that contradicted a movie's overall theme. Tell me if I'm Wrong somebody.
    well it fit with the movie, it was hard times and that's what he was singing about. And Priest did'nt want to live like that anymore, he felt the destruction of his trade, physically and mentaly. Freddies Dead, brilliant song, and the musical arrangement in it, you have to listen to the words and you'll get it
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    dear lord thank u t/s for makin this. ive been out in this concrete jungle trying to preach to teachings of brother mayfield for years. i swear im the only one in my generation that has an even basic understanding.(besides my friend who's a drummer so it makes sense)
    i have entirely too much to say on this mans music
    me & my friends do top 5 soul singers etc all those type of lists & they all jus have a strange look when i put curtis in my top 3...not that they can dispute it but jus a confused ass face lol
    Superfly is 1 of the 10 greatest pieces of work created
    props
  • king hassan
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Little Child Running wild, man, the violins at the end of the song is phenominal
  • dj expanium
    edited June 2010
    Options
    His catalogue is amazing.....19 studio albums: 14 were done back-to-back in 14 year time span!!!!! The man was entirely devoted and focused to his music. Do you think any of Today's R&B artists would showcase the same dedication that hey displayed?!?!? I don't really think so.
  • pop
    pop Members Posts: 191
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Little Child Running wild, man, the violins at the end of the song is phenominal

I actually sampled the violins for this song I'm working on. It's incomplete lol but it's coming out good. And I'm working on p.s. i love you
  • king hassan
    edited June 2010
    Options
    pop wrote: »
    I actually sampled the violins for this song I'm working on. It's incomplete lol but it's coming out good. And I'm working on p.s. i love you

We got the same mindframe then, I sampled the violins on that song a long time ago but never did nothing with it
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Good thread. I was just listening to “We People, Who Are Darker Than Blue”. Classic stuff.
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    His catalogue is amazing.....19 studio albums: 14 were done back-to-back in 14 year time span!!!!! The man was entirely devoted and focused to his music. Do you think any of Today's R&B artists would showcase the same dedication that hey displayed?!?!? I don't really think so.

Not to mention all of the albums were high quality.
  • dj expanium
    edited June 2010
    Options
    TANGLUNG wrote: »
    Not to mention all of the albums were high quality.

I ain't doubting that either!!!!
  • king hassan
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? , crackaz, jewz, if it's Hell below, we all gonna Go!!!!!!!!!!! classic
  • Miltown Marauder
    Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    14 albums?! Damn! His album "Curtis" is a classic. Curtis Mayfield is one of a kind, " Other Side of Town" is joint.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    to anyone sampling the violins on Little Child Running Wild..word to the wise..u have to/better come correct cuz Kanye already did for Flashing Lights & id hate to see a good track get swallowed up in pointless chatter about sampling