Why are we the way we are?

Options
BiblicalAtheist
BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Why do you think humans evolved to be conscious animals? Why did we evolve to have a conscience, what purpose do these things serve?

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    First of all i don't believe we evolved from apes, i also don't believe we were created by a mythical being either. As far as consciousness, i feel it's our ultimate destiny and we are slowing working our way to the source (whatever created us and universal knowledge) and becoming elightened. Despite how bad the world may seem, i feel as if people are becoming aware and awake and starting to see stuff for what it is such as systems used to control, seperate, and cause conflict (government, religion, education system) and are slowly moving away from it. Consciousness is just people becoming aware and starting to question stuff.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    i feel it's our ultimate destiny and we are slowing working our way to the source (whatever created us and universal knowledge) and becoming elightened.

What purpose does this serve?
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    What purpose does this serve?

It's everything, our true purpose is to become enlightened and see that we all have a connection to one another. All that nonsense (religion, race,government,class system) seperates people, our perception and understanding of what "? " and the universe is, is totally perversed. Spiritual awakening, universal consciousness,sacred knowledge,etc is true living, it's unfortunate our society is so consumed with war, greed, etc.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's everything, our true purpose is to become enlightened and see that we all have a connection to one another. Spiritual awakening, universal consciousness.

And then what do we do when we get to that point? Does man just live happily ever after living all connected and awakened?
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    And then what do we do when we get to that point? Does man just live happily ever after living all connected and awakened?

The stuff is happening now, i saw it after 911, Katrina,Haiti,etc. People are compassionate deep down inside, it just feels like "stuff" in everyday life pulls us away from our ultimate goal "consciousness". When we get to this point is where we ascend and i believe we live multiple lives, each life is a lesson to be learned until we fulfill our destiny which is total enligtenment imo.
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i can't say forever, because i don't know, but there seems to have always been (what most of us consider) good people and bad people. i don't think there is a certain goal or purpose of life, at least not the kind most people want to create. nothing noble, nothing good/bad, etc. Is the purpose of life simply to survive and continue the survival of the species? i mean what are fireflies here for? seriously? to entertain us at night, to find the true meaning of the universe or just to survive and live? Of course, we are way more intelligent than fireflies, but is it just because we are smarter that we try to make more out of a little.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Options
    First of all i don't believe we evolved from apes, i also don't believe we were created by a mythical being either.
    either just say you think aliens made you or please elaborate on this mysterious third option
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Why do you think humans evolved to be conscious animals? Why did we evolve to have a conscience, what purpose do these things serve?

Each humans individual consciousness is to the Creator as a drop of rain is to every body of water on earth. Same thing, bite-size portions that condense and precipitate cyclically. The purpose is stewardship of the planet and perhaps more than that when we grow up as a species.
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    either just say you think aliens made you or please elaborate on this mysterious third option

It seems obvious to me if we did not evolve from apes, we would of found the missing link by now and the whole biblical creation thing is so far fetched on so many levels. It's pretty obvious to me human evolution has been "messed with", as one of my boys said "how did we go from dull stick to sharp stick" so fast. It took thousands of years for us to even to able to hunt and gather, then all of a sudden we have technology (fiber optics, computer chips,etc) out of no where in a shorter period of time.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    there is no "missing link"

its a ? phrase preachers have used for decades to discredit the mountain of evidence that we are indeed apes

we're apes today. right now. i'm apin' it up over here.

just ? LOOK at a human being. look at the face. the arms. the hands.

it's obvious from the jump, but if you need more evidence, it's so easily available I shouldn't even have to mention it.

you people who say "oh i dont believe we evolved, its obvious to me" are the same people who have never read a single ? book on the subject. coincidence?
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

I could be wrong, but to have a conscience I believe says that humans are not just animals; that existence isn't just about who is the strongest. It is about who knows the truth. To have a conscience says that we have something inside us to acknowledge and express the truth through what we understand about what is right and wrong.
  • SL8Rok
    SL8Rok Members Posts: 154
    edited June 2010
    Options
    We didn't evolve consciousness we were created with it.
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    there is no "missing link"

its a ? phrase preachers have used for decades to discredit the mountain of evidence that we are indeed apes

we're apes today. right now. i'm apin' it up over here.

just ? LOOK at a human being. look at the face. the arms. the hands.

it's obvious from the jump, but if you need more evidence, it's so easily available I shouldn't even have to mention it.

you people who say "oh i dont believe we evolved, its obvious to me" are the same people who have never read a single ? book on the subject. coincidence?

I've taken numerous human species classes and anthropology classes. Science still cannot prove when we switched over from Neanderthal to Cromagnum Man or if the species interbred.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I've taken numerous human species classes and anthropology classes.
    you must not have paid any attention or had awful professors, because it's been known that we're apes and evolved from pre-apes

Science still cannot prove when we switched over from Neanderthal to Cromagnum Man or if the species interbred.
    see, you don't even know the timeline or the players involved. ? Sapiens existed the same time Neanderthals did. There was a huge news story a couple months ago about how some humans must have interbred with neanderthals because something like 6% of the global population today has neanderthal DNA. There were threads on it in this very forum. The black supremacists were making a big deal about whites being part caveman until somebody pointed out that neanderthals actually had larger brains than us. Then they stopped posting. Hmm.
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    you must not have paid any attention or had awful professors, because it's been known that we're apes and evolved from pre-apes

see, you don't even know the timeline or the players involved. ? Sapiens existed the same time Neanderthals did. There was a huge news story a couple months ago about how some humans must have interbred with neanderthals because something like 6% of the global population today has neanderthal DNA. There were threads on it in this very forum. The black supremacists were making a big deal about whites being part caveman until somebody pointed out that neanderthals actually had larger brains than us. Then they stopped posting. Hmm.

That's only a theory dude, theory is not fact!

All that stuff you just type still doesn't prove anything, i doesn't show were the merging took place or how all these species branched off from the original apes dna wise. It's all theory at the end of the day. We don't even know if there are multiple evolution points theory, all we got is the Out of Africa theory.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    so what you're saying is that you're so ? , you want everything that ever died to have been fossilized to they can all be dug up so you can have a 100% complete record of evolution.

1. not everything that dies gets fossilized.

2. not everything that gets fossilized can be dug up.

and you don't even know how the vocab works. Evolution is a fact. And a theory. The fact is verified. The theory is the explanation of how it works.
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    so what you're saying is that you're so ? , you want everything that ever died to have been fossilized to they can all be dug up so you can have a 100% complete record of evolution.

1. not everything that dies gets fossilized.

2. not everything that gets fossilized can be dug up.

and you don't even know how the vocab works. Evolution is a fact. And a theory. The fact is verified. The theory is the explanation of how it works.

Dude save your silly insults, you and your pumpus attitude are pretty lame. Like i said, prove to be when the branching off took place and when the interbreeding took place, better yet if it even did. Your making the assumption all this stuff took place, and cant. I could care less how the exact jargon of anthropology, you get the gist of what i am saying.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    what you're saying is that somehow you took classes on human development without taking any notes at all.

the reason we can tell we evolved from ape-like creatures is explained in depth in like the first week of those types of classes.

maybe they dont actually teach the real deal in HBCU's though, I dunno. I mean, I know blacks are sensitive about the subject.
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    what you're saying is that somehow you took classes on human development without taking any notes at all.

the reason we can tell we evolved from ape-like creatures is explained in depth in like the first week of those types of classes.

maybe they dont actually teach the real deal in HBCU's though, I dunno. I mean, I know blacks are sensitive about the subject.

See what im talking about, making assumptions. I went to the University of Central Florida for undergrad, it's the third biggest school in the country and the whitest school. You and your lame ass personality only lets me know you are probably a lame in real life and get punked constantly, you talk to people like you are on some harvard grad ? . Arrogant mf!
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    you've bragged in the past about graduating from some awful southern HBCU, dont lie old man
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Because our brains accidentally got big. No other reason.
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    you've bragged in the past about graduating from some awful southern HBCU, dont lie old man

i graduated from the UCF with a BS in Legal studies and Criminal Justice. I had a 3.7, corresponding secretary for my fraternity, and got into UM law school. I would never even think about going to a HBCU except for Howard University.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    see?

dude braggin again
  • usmarin3
    edited June 2010
    Options
    see?

dude braggin again

I got to put pompus mf's in their place, you come at me with that "i am more intelligent or better than you vibe", i'm gonna fight back. I'm done with this convo though.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i actually am more intelligent than you, though.