HOF or FOH: Robert Horry

Options
woah316
woah316 Members Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in From the Cheap Seats
Jamaica a lil slow getting to this one so I thought I would since it's possibly the most debated one you can have...

forget stats and all that ? ... IMO, Robert Horry should get into the Hall of Fame because his presence on the court has a lasting impact on the history of the national basketball association, PERIOD...

We are talking 2, 3, maybe even 4 different championships may have swung the other way if it wasn't for his big 3 point shots.

I dont care if he averages 2 points a game for his career or whatever it is, when it was time, he impacted the league.

Honestly, one could argue Big Shot Rob, RIGHT NOW, has had more of an impact on the legacy of the game than Lebron James... Lebron has 2 MVP awards, and lost in 2 finals... If he broke his leg tommorow, that would all be forgotten in 7 years or so... Big shot rob altered history, and was a key component in 7 NBA titles.

When a Rapper like Gucci Mane kicks a line:

"6 rings on you can call me Robert Horry"....

the man has impacted basketball, and thats the only criteria their should be for getting in the Hall

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Basketball HOF doesn't worship rings quite as much as Canton does, so I'll say... FOH.

If he were a NFL player with a similar career and same ring-count, ? yeah.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I'll never forget that game winning three. One of my greatest moments as a Laker fan...
  • woah316
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Basketball HOF doesn't worship rings quite as much as Canton does, so I'll say... FOH.

If he were a NFL player with a similar career and same ring-count, ? yeah.

not to argue, but for the sake of conversation...

Why should rodman be a first ballot HOF, when he specialized in one thing really... rebounding, and, ok, defense... his specialties helped win 5 rings on 2 teams...

Why shouldn't Rob get in, when his specialty, HUGE, series changing, 3 point shots... on 7 championship teams... why shouldn't he get in?

Not a first ballot like Rodman, but Robert Horry will be in the hall of fame one day.
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Horry's avg. pts per game:7

Avg Rebounds: 5

How can someone who avg 7 pts a game in their career be a HOF? Seriously? Enough with the cluch shots. We're talking about putting him in with player the like of Jerry West, Bird, Magic, Jordan, etc. Enough of this Horry for HOF talk!
  • woah316
    edited December 2011
    Options
    allied wrote: »

How can someone who avg 7 pts a game in their career be a HOF? Seriously? Enough with the cluch shots. We're talking about putting him in with player the like of Jerry West, Bird, Magic, Jordan, etc. Enough of this Horry for HOF talk!

He also has some notable records that impress me that I didn't even know about... He's a HOF lock:

Horry collected his seventh championship as a member of the Spurs in 2007.[12] He is one of only nine players to have won seven or more championships in the NBA, and the only one who did not play on the 1960s Celtics

He is the all-time leader in playoff games played, having surpassed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar during the 2008 playoffs.

Horry holds the record for three-pointers all-time in the NBA Finals with 53, having eclipsed Michael Jordan's previous record of 42.

He set the NBA Playoffs record for most three-point field goals made in a game without a miss (7) against the Utah Jazz in Game 2 of the 1997 Western Conference Semifinals.

Horry was the first player ever to accumulate 100 steals, 100 blocked shots and 100 threes in one season.

^^^with one of a kind records like this, one could argue that he's not some glorified role player, but a special talent. He's done things no one in the history of the NBA has done. He's definitely getting in
  • Coo Coo Cal's Beanie
    Coo Coo Cal's Beanie Members Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • greenwood1921
    edited December 2011
    Options
    allied wrote: »

This. And the Rodman comparison don't fly, bruh.

Rebounding is second only to scoring as far as bball stats are concerned, and in order for a Horry to even get a chance at a "clutch shot" other players had to do a lot of scoring and rebounding first.

7 ppg and 5rebs ain't HOF numbaz. Period.
    If they are, then there are at least 100 players with similar stats that need to be HOF.
  • woah316
    edited December 2011
    Options
    This. And the Rodman comparison don't fly, bruh.

Rebounding is second only to scoring as far as bball stats are concerned, and in order for a Horry to even get a chance at a "clutch shot" other players had to do a lot of scoring and rebounding first.

7 ppg and 5rebs ain't HOF numbaz. Period.
    If they are, then there are at least 100 players with similar stats that need to be HOF.

oh so thats what the hall it's based on, stats? Why not call it the hall of stats then? Your view on the hall of fame is obviously skewed and not logical.

You can name maybe 30 players that have or will have better career stats than pippen, but will never get into the hall of fame, so ? that non sense you talking.

I'll say it now: Robert Horry has had more of an impact on the history of the NBA than lebron james.

Not by ratings, ticket sales, or what eventually turn into (for lebron) meaningless regular season stats... But by helping teams win championships, something lebron has yet to do.

My whole point is, WHEN the points are scored means 5x more than how many are scored. Lebron can't get it done when it counts
  • greenwood1921
    edited December 2011
    Options
    So you wanna put a ? that averaged 7 points a game and 5 boards next to Wilt and MJ?

Aight, bruh. Good luck wit dat.
  • sillyrbbt_03
    sillyrbbt_03 Members Posts: 104
    edited December 2011
    Options
    he gets a small plaque in the corner somewhere with the photo of his shot vs sac town
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    These HOF threads are just getting suckier and suckier.
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ? some 50s and 60s celtics are in the hall with trash numbers but got in for having a lot of rings, so why not horry
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ? some 50s and 60s celtics are in the hall with trash numbers but got in for having a lot of rings, so why not horry

What Celtics are those? KC Jones was one. (7.4 PPG, 4.3 AST, 3.5 REB) Name me another.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited December 2011
    Options
    All those HOF Celtics in the 50's-60's were atleast 5-6 all stars.

Frank Ramsey was the only one who never made an allstar game. He also had five straight seasons averaging 15 PPG+. He also went 4 straight postseasons averaing 18.8 PPG.
  • CockMcStuffins
    edited December 2011
    Options
    What Celtics are those? KC Jones was one. (7.4 PPG, 4.3 AST, 3.5 REB) Name me another.

K.C. Jones is proof enough, that the hall isnt just based on numbers but rewards winners too

I can also name multiple other cats who got inducted as "players" with horrible numbers and way less titles than horry
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Troll Thread

Major FOH
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    KC Jones is in the hall as a head coach.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    To answer the thread question shortly and sweetly (nh)
    No.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited December 2011
    Options
    UOTE=Justin Sane;3985569]K.C. Jones is proof enough, that the hall isnt just based on numbers but rewards winners too

I can also name multiple other cats who got inducted as "players" with horrible numbers and way less titles than horry[/QUOTE]

jamacia wrote: »
    KC Jones is in the hall as a head coach.

I forgot all about this. Further proves my argument Horry doesnt belong in the same sentence (statistically) with any of the 50s-60s Celtics in the Hall.

Officially he went in as a player, but they waited 22 years after his playing career and his first year away from being the Head Coach to induct him. It was more of a dual award than anything. Let Robert Horry coach some NBA champions and then we'll have this conversation.
  • GetMoneyInDaN.O.
    GetMoneyInDaN.O. Members Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    if they not lettin charles haley in in the nfl and he got 5 rings......dont think horry makes it based of clutch shots and bein on the right team.......might happen years later
  • CockMcStuffins
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • CockMcStuffins
    edited December 2011
    Options
    UOTE=Justin Sane;3985569]K.C. Jones is proof enough, that the hall isnt just based on numbers but rewards winners too

I can also name multiple other cats who got inducted as "players" with horrible numbers and way less titles than horry

I forgot all about this. Further proves my argument Horry doesnt belong in the same sentence (statistically) with any of the 50s-60s Celtics in the Hall.

Officially he went in as a player, but they waited 22 years after his playing career and his first year away from being the Head Coach to induct him. It was more of a dual award than anything. Let Robert Horry coach some NBA champions and then we'll have this conversation.[/QUOTE]

Aint no "dual" anything....kc jones is in the hall as a player, not as a coach or contributor

He's in with ? numbers and an ass load of titles....so again I ask, why not horry
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited December 2011
    Options
    if they not lettin charles haley in in the nfl and he got 5 rings......dont think horry makes it based of clutch shots and bein on the right team.......might happen years later

Dont try to compare Haley and Horry.

Charles Haley was a great player. Robert Horry was a role player.

The only reason Charles isnt in already is cause he was crazy as ? and had a bad relationship with the media (the same ? who are allowed to decide to goes into Canton)
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Aint no "dual" anything....kc jones is in the hall as a player, not as a coach or contributor

He's in with ? numbers and an ass load of titles....so again I ask, why not horry

He would've never went in if not for his coaching career as well. Get over it and quit trying to ? to make your case.