Why in the blue hell isn't phonte just as big as drake

Options
starvin
starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Reason
Dude raps about relatable situations, can sing Im surprised he isn't bigger.

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    maybe he doesn't want to be thus he stays on the underground and doens't push to be on a major. some guys have mainstream appeal and some don't. and when does rapping about real situations ever mean you are supposed to be bigger. you got to work and grind to be bigger. it's not just going to be handed to you b/c of your subject matter
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    the machine will change you
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Because Phonte's persona is as bland as oatmeal without sugar or cinnamon. Dude just ain't a star, same for ? like Blu,Elzhi,etc
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    + he doesnt have a "best i ever had" song .... ;) .... everybody needs @least 1 record to get them over that ? ... phonte has ZERO so far ;)
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Its not logical for him to even be a star, and honestly that's a compliment to him.

I mean look around you...seriously look around you and see this ? called our culture lol

Phonte is too normal, sane, reasonable, grounded, etc to be a 'star' in this day n age
  • antarticp
    edited December 2011
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    Its not logical for him to even be a star, and honestly that's a compliment to him.

I mean look around you...seriously look around you and see this ? called our culture lol

Phonte is too normal, sane, reasonable, grounded, etc to be a 'star' in this day n age

lol sad but true .. its the same reason why joe budden will never be a star ... you cant think logical in todays game LOL ... just look @ the game we got ethiopians making hit records about being tony montana ... ijs LOL ........
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Because Phonte's persona is as bland as oatmeal without sugar or cinnamon. Dude just ain't a star, same for ? like Blu,Elzhi,etc

All dope...
  • Miles HIGH
    Miles HIGH Members Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    He wasn't already famous off a TV show...He wasn't affiliated wit Trey Songz, Lil Wayne, or Jay-Z...He's dark skinned...He's from North Carolina...
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    All dope...

There have been lots of dope mcs who were stars (Big, Pac, Nas, Em, Jay, Andre 3000,etc). They've all had that certain something that separated themselves from other dope mcs (Ras Kass, AZ, etc). Some people just have that certain thing that separates them.
  • antarticp
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Miles HIGH wrote: »
    He wasn't already famous off a TV show...He wasn't affiliated wit Trey Songz, Lil Wayne, or Jay-Z...He's dark skinned...He's from North Carolina...

well i guess in a way he was associated with jayz via 9th wonder ???????
  • S2J
    edited December 2011
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »
    well i guess in a way he was associated with jayz via 9th wonder ???????

Ehh, no. lol

But you make a good point...off of 'Threats' alone 9th Wonder coulda been a 'star' prodcer if he wanted...he'd just rather work w/ cats most people never heard of

And that brings it to the next level-some nggas actually dont want to be 'stars'

"I dont want the world, cuz I done seen the world, and if you seen the world you wouldn't want that either"- Phonte

'
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options

Lameness/blandness whatever you wanna call can be easily hidden behind the machine......for example look at your ? j Cole..probably made one of the smartest decisions by signing to roc nation

And if you ever been to or seen phonte & elzhi's interview or shows you would know there some of the funniest eccentric cats in the game....s2j basically rapped it up there is no need for these ? to go mainstream and they made it clear they don't want too when they turned down record label offers......its sad when ? are looked down upon for staying true to there game/craft....
  • ROFL.GUY
    ROFL.GUY Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    whos phonte??????

thats why he not a success no knows who the ? he is
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    He's older and doesn't really make popish songs.

Plus he's probably too lyrical for the mainstream
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I like Little Brother but I dunno, I wasn't really feelin that solo album as much. Plus he didn't/doesn't have that huge buzz drake did off of a couple mixtapes
  • antarticp
    edited December 2011
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    Ehh, no. lol

But you make a good point...off of 'Threats' alone 9th Wonder coulda been a 'star' prodcer if he wanted...he'd just rather work w/ cats most people never heard of

And that brings it to the next level-some nggas actually dont want to be 'stars'

"I dont want the world, cuz I done seen the world, and if you seen the world you wouldn't want that either"- Phonte

'

def not everyone is in it for the limelight ... but one thing for sure is they are there to make $$$$$ lol ;)
  • Beware
    Beware Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    He's older and doesn't really make popish songs.

Plus he's probably too lyrical for the mainstream

im a Lb fan but i wouldnt call phonte a LYRICAL mc! i'd even go as far as to say drake has more lyrical moments than phonte does.
  • And_So_It_Burns
    And_So_It_Burns Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ROFL.GUY wrote: »
    whos phonte??????

thats why he not a success no knows who the ? he is

wow so you've never heard of Little Brother or 9th wonder.....so I'm curious as to who you actually listen to besides Em
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Beware wrote: »
    im a Lb fan but i wouldnt call phonte a LYRICAL mc! i'd even go as far as to say drake has more lyrical moments than phonte does.

? what.....

ok lets just ignore this comment

Drake is a club singer, he makes songs for 24 yr old 16 yr olds (think about that). Phonte will never be as big cause his content is geared toward mature, rationale situations. That which rap fans know nothing about.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    tru_m.a.c wrote: »

? what.....

ok lets just ignore this comment

Drake is a club singer, he makes songs for 24 yr old 16 yr olds (think about that). Phonte will never be as big cause his content is geared toward mature, rationale situations. That which rap fans know nothing about.

Correct answer.

Most of these artists are forced to get into that 2nd childhood mindstate when it comes to making record because the demographic of Hip Hop has always been for the teens to young adults.

So for BUSINESS PURPOSES they have to stand within to make music for them and keep them satisfied, no matter how they feel.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    All I know is Charity Starts at Home bored the hell outta me
  • coolc31
    coolc31 Members Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    There have been lots of dope mcs who were stars (Big, Pac, Nas, Em, Jay, Andre 3000,etc). They've all had that certain something that separated themselves from other dope mcs (Ras Kass, AZ, etc). Some people just have that certain thing that separates them.

Stop making sense. Cats don't seem to understand some people won't be stars no matter how dope they are. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of dude, but I acknowledge the fact he can spit. However, there are 10,000,000 cats that can rap or at least attempt to rap so everyone can't make. Hell, I still can't believe BCC & Kane didn't make it bigger than they did.
  • S2J
    edited December 2011
    Options
    All I know is Charity Starts at Home bored the hell outta me

But whats your demographic? How old are you?

Im 29, work a 9-5, and that ? touched my soul ...not my ears, my soul ngga! lol
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Cause Drake rap about rap and ? , ? and rappin. Then he sings to them. Phonte is much more versatile for the masses to comprehend.