Hes "growing as an artist"

Options
bankrupt baller
bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Reason
am i the only one who thinks the person isnt growing as an artist, he simply has no control over the music he makes anymore?
do you think these labels actually let these "artists" go in their own direction?
if not how exactly are they "growing" and how are they an "artist"?

Comments

• H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    If it ain't broke don't fix it is the motto at the labels.

Jeezy can make 4 albums of the same sore-throat ramblings and people love it because he gives them the same thing every time but with no growth.

Nas went from Nasty Nas to Nas Escobar to Nas Scott-Heron to Nas Marley and the people love it because they appreciate artistic growth, reinvention, and fresh material.

A True artist can go in any direction musically with label support if they have a loyal and mature fan base but I lesser talented artist can't stray too far away from their formula because they risk losing their fair-weather fans.

JayZ makes the music he wants, 50-Cent makes the music he is told to, it's just the nature of the business.
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ? Joe budden and his cancelled mixtape with no album comiing out soon!!
  • bankrupt baller
    edited December 2011
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    If it ain't broke don't fix it is the motto at the labels.

Jeezy can make 4 albums of the same sore-throat ramblings and people love it because he gives them the same thing every time but with no growth.

Nas went from Nasty Nas to Nas Escobar to Nas Scott-Heron to Nas Marley and the people love it because they appreciate artistic growth, reinvention, and fresh material.

A True artist can go in any direction musically with label support if they have a loyal and mature fan base but I lesser talented artist can't stray too far away from their formula because they risk losing their fair-weather fans.

JayZ makes the music he wants, 50-Cent makes the music he is told to, it's just the nature of the business.
    i made this cause somebody said big sean is growing as a artist....he just doesnt strike me as an artist doing what he wants to do...what do you think?
    GrizTitan wrote: »
    ? Joe budden and his cancelled mixtape with no album comiing out soon!!

you bore me.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i made this cause somebody said big sean is growing as a artist....he just doesnt strike me as an artist doing what he wants to do...what do you think?

you bore me.

That's interesting.

Big Sean is still a rookie and he's an artist who is being guided at the moment by Kanye's influence and GOOD musics production.

As far as growth is concerned it takes 3 albums for me to see improvement, regression, or consistency.

Can't really call Big Sean....
  • bankrupt baller
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Random guy #1: Yo this dude had some ill ass mixtapes before he blew up,why do his albums suck now?
    Random guy #2: Dude hes growing as an artist
    random guy #3: *jay z voice* you want my old ? by my old albums.
    Random guy #4: Bro you're just mad that hes mainstream now so your hatin

its a never ending cycle of that^
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options

you bore me.

i would say big sean is doing what he wants to do ... only because his music thats out now is very similar to what weve heard on the mixtapes .... but i would say @ this point he isnt growing as an artist .... atleast from mixtape to album ... but then again he just came out .... and hes very young so it maybe sometime before we see his growth ....... altho guys like outkast who entered the game much younger has shown growth with every release
  • bankrupt baller
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Some people probably think the black eyed peas have grown as artists lmao
  • Who Cares???
    Who Cares??? Members Posts: 1,167
    edited December 2011
    Options
    How do you determine if an artist isn't creating the music he/she wants? I think alot of people confuse an artist sticking to what he/she excels at with label dictatorship. The music business can have a very short life span. When rapper sees a lane he can make a quick short term profit in, the label more than likely don't have to tell him a thing.
  • SHAYDEEEE
    SHAYDEEEE Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    snoop went from murder was the case and lay low to that ? ass "young wild and free" ?

i can only speculate but i highly doubt that he wanted to be a part of that.

its label politics and artists doing what they can to stay relevant