books can come true

Options
TheCATthatdidntDIE
TheCATthatdidntDIE Members Posts: 918
edited June 2010 in The Social Lounge
think about Farenheit 451. obviously technology was going to make it to that point and it finnally has. the xbox kinnect and 3d televisions with bluetooth head sets and of course the sea shell that is basically the ipod. so, what was the message? people are going to get sucked into it. and they do, the video game industry is booming because people would rather play video games then hang out (not entirely true, but have you met a gamer? no. geeee i wonder why) so the wife aspect is true to an extent, but what about the government? im not saying they are going to burn books, but they dont mind the distraction of videogames do they? are gamers paying attention to politics? to the world outside of america? not as much as they should be.
so riddle me this, if 451 is somewhat true and its an allegory. logically speaking of course the bible is somewhat true. as even with the allegory of the cave by socrates has elements of the truth.

Comments

• major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Well I think the message was how media in general would take over traditional methods of learning. I.E. reading. With TV you are limited to what is broadcasted for you to learn from, but with books its up to you to choose what you wish. I dont see a society in our lifetime like in the book at least not here in America, but censorship and media dictation will be an ongoing issue as long as the technology exists.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    More like 1984, but in 2010, big brother was made cool and everyone opened their arms and accepted it.

If you have a cellphone on you, your whereabouts can be known via tower triangulation and the GPS transponder built into every phone. These both work even if your phone is turned off.
    Bluetooth headsets are wireless, and the signal can be intercepted without the device being "paired". This means your conversations can be heard without your knowledge.
    The microphone in your phone can be turned on by remote, a "feature" built into pretty much every phone called "Roving Bug". This was recently used to put use to put a mob figure behind bars.
    You're more apt to carry a debit car than cash. The reason is you believe that debit is more "secure" and "convenient". The real reason is to prep you for a cashless society, where hard money is nonexistent (or even outlawed). It's also easy to build a profile on your spending habits via these cards and anything authorities are watching for can be flagged, bringing even more scrutiny on you.

Even this small amount of data is outlined in many sci-fi books and the like. We pretty much moved in their direction, casually ignoring the warning signs in front of us because we're told we "need" these things.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    More like 1984, but in 2010, big brother was made cool and everyone opened their arms and accepted it.

If you have a cellphone on you, your whereabouts can be known via tower triangulation and the GPS transponder built into every phone. These both work even if your phone is turned off.
    Bluetooth headsets are wireless, and the signal can be intercepted without the device being "paired". This means your conversations can be heard without your knowledge.
    The microphone in your phone can be turned on by remote, a "feature" built into pretty much every phone called "Roving Bug". This was recently used to put use to put a mob figure behind bars.
    You're more apt to carry a debit car than cash. The reason is you believe that debit is more "secure" and "convenient". The real reason is to prep you for a cashless society, where hard money is nonexistent (or even outlawed). It's also easy to build a profile on your spending habits via these cards and anything authorities are watching for can be flagged, bringing even more scrutiny on you.

Even this small amount of data is outlined in many sci-fi books and the like. We pretty much moved in their direction, casually ignoring the warning signs in front of us because we're told we "need" these things.

Cosign.......I have read a little of 1984, but i thinm i need to buy it and read the rest ASAP. Because I think that the fiction becoming reality is a possibility.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Gamers don't pay attention? Who does? Reality TV obsessed gossipers? Sports fanatics?

For the record, I enjoy an occasional video game, and if you look at certain series (Metal Gear Solid comes to mind) video games can actually be used as a medium to get people thinking about what's going on in the world. I don't know why you single out video games. The vast majority of all people are far too apathetic about what's happening in the world.
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Gamers don't pay attention? Who does? Reality TV obsessed gossipers? Sports fanatics?

For the record, I enjoy an occasional video game, and if you look at certain series (Metal Gear Solid comes to mind) video games can actually be used as a medium to get people thinking about what's going on in the world. I don't know why you single out video games. The vast majority of all people are far too apathetic about what's happening in the world.

I am a gamer, or i used to be. and its true that nobody pays attention, but they are the exact equivalent to all of those people, but those people cant watch their shows 24/7 while videogames will always be there. who in todays day in age is actually paying attention to the story and not online killing people in order to prove how badass they are at pushing buttons?

plus you cant live in tv.....yet. but you can basically live in kinnect, and thats why its called virtual reality.
  • shootemwon
    edited June 2010
    Options
    video games can actually be used as a medium to get people thinking about what's going on in the world

I think I said something along those lines.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ? you sound like ebert.
  • shootemwon
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I am a gamer, or i used to be. and its true that nobody pays attention, but they are the exact equivalent to all of those people, but those people cant watch their shows 24/7 while videogames will always be there. who in todays day in age is actually paying attention to the story and not online killing people in order to prove how badass they are at pushing buttons?

plus you cant live in tv.....yet. but you can basically live in kinnect, and thats why its called virtual reality.

Your argument is kind of ? . I, for one, enjoy a game with a meaningful storyline, if I'm gonna play one. But even if others don't, that's a problem that goes deeper than them being gamers. Not giving a ? about anything requiring a bit of intelligence or social consciousness is a problem much more widespread than the world of videogames.

And by the way, if you hadn't noticed, we got like 800 channels, including dozens of 24 hour networks dedicated to sports, cooking, celebrities, and all sorts of other nonsense, so why exactly can't people be just as immersed in their TV as they can in their games?
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    I think I said something along those lines.
    well, there's no reasoning with these bots
  • TheCATthatdidntDIE
    edited June 2010
    Options
    oh, they can be immersed, but they cant live there. for the record i dont beleive that fahreinheit 451 is reality, just that its coming closer and closer to being a possibility. Virtual reality allegories and satires have been around for years, and the sad thing about satires and allegories is that they contain a little bit of the truth. people are too immersed in their own lives to pay any particular attention to the world around them. there is a reason that americans say they are from canada whilst abroad. this whole general thought trend was inspired by one of those basement dwelling losers that wont go out into the world. he had the biggest nerdgasm in the world when he saw the commercial for kinnect, so i asked him why it was so cool. his response " Because we can now do everything in kinnect that we could do in real life, isnt that awesome" i suppose it is, in the original sense of the word. i dont believe that everyone will live there, but some will.
  • shootemwon
    edited June 2010
    Options
    oh, they can be immersed, but they cant live there. for the record i dont beleive that fahreinheit 451 is reality, just that its coming closer and closer to being a possibility. Virtual reality allegories and satires have been around for years, and the sad thing about satires and allegories is that they contain a little bit of the truth. people are too immersed in their own lives to pay any particular attention to the world around them. there is a reason that americans say they are from canada whilst abroad. this whole general thought trend was inspired by one of those basement dwelling losers that wont go out into the world. he had the biggest nerdgasm in the world when he saw the commercial for kinnect, so i asked him why it was so cool. his response " Because we can now do everything in kinnect that we could do in real life, isnt that awesome" i suppose it is, in the original sense of the word. i dont believe that everyone will live there, but some will.
    Ok, so some nerds with no social skills will spend their entire lives in a virtual world. I get that. But the point you're not convincing me on here is how it's any worse than the people I'm talking about. MOST AMERICANS know a lot about their favorite teams, the latest celebrity affair scandal, and what's going on with their favorite TV series. When they're not thinking about that, they're usually thinking about getting some ? or eating/shopping. They're not engaged with or aware of the important issues that they should be taking a closer look at.
    People you talk about, living in a virtual world, will be more socially disengaged, but as far as political disengagement, it's a problem everywhere in this country.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

Why is that? They feel safer saying that?
  • shootemwon
    edited June 2010
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Why is that? They feel safer saying that?

Yeah, cause especially during the Bush years, Americans were pretty strongly hated in a lot of places. Also, I believe some places just have a reputation for considering American tourists ? and treating them accordingly, so just to have a more pleasant experience.
  • independentsoundlab
    independentsoundlab Members Posts: 351
    edited June 2010
    Options
    think about Farenheit 451. obviously technology was going to make it to that point and it finnally has. the xbox kinnect and 3d televisions with bluetooth head sets and of course the sea shell that is basically the ipod. so, what was the message? people are going to get sucked into it. and they do, the video game industry is booming because people would rather play video games then hang out (not entirely true, but have you met a gamer? no. geeee i wonder why) so the wife aspect is true to an extent, but what about the government? im not saying they are going to burn books, but they dont mind the distraction of videogames do they? are gamers paying attention to politics? to the world outside of america? not as much as they should be.
    so riddle me this, if 451 is somewhat true and its an allegory. logically speaking of course the bible is somewhat true. as even with the allegory of the cave by socrates has elements of the truth.

Its true.. BUT.. the attention of a human can easily be captured and altered.. its been written, its been proven since the days of the first humans.. so its predictable, its gonna get worse with more technology dropping in the near future.. Everything now is made for you stay in doors.. no need to go outside.. you can buy ? online, you can work from your house, you can have food delivered to you, talk to hoes, etc.... all from your crib...

If a book drops some type of prediction or illusion of how life will be in the future.. it wont surprise me at all.. humans never stayed dumb, they evolved.. wont surprise me in the next 1000 years we will have hovering cars like the 5th element movie..
    Bible? i believe the people existed.. Jesus Christ, Moses, etc.. but the bible is a product of good spitting.. people were looking for answers.. and if you sound so convincing wouldnt you start believing?