This economy is HORRIBLE.....I'm thinking of joining the Army Reserves....

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in The Social Lounge
I graduated from Hunter College this month with a Bachelors in Political Science, and while I've only started applying for high level jobs for less than a month, I am fast getting impatient with how slow the job offers are coming in. I've sent at least 30 resumes so far, but all I am getting in return for sending them is spam mail and silence. My wish is to be a paralegal or something along those lines, but because I have less than a year experience with office work (as a messenger), it's hard for employers to take me seriously.

So I am thinking of joining the Army Reserves, hoping I don't get sent overseas.My hope is that with the Army Reserves, I can get some kind of enlistment bonus that can help me pay for my armed guard training, which can help me make much more than the average paralegal. Does anyone here know anyone in the army reserves? Is anyone here in it? I can go to army.gov but I would rather hear first hand information from people that know EXACTLY what the army reserves is like.

Any info would be much appreciated (or job offers lol).

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If your afraid of going to war and dont want to, I suggest you dont join. If you do sign on and end up getting called up saying no to them will likely send you to prison and will definitely get your dishonorably discharged, both which will ? any future hope of a nice job up. I know a good bit of people who are in the military, the airforce, marines, and army. If you do need to enlist though because finacially you need that help go to the airforce.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    So I am thinking of joining the Army Reserves, hoping I don't get sent overseas.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This ain't the 90s bruh, Reservists don't get to chill like they used to.

LMAO @ the SL's most outspoken Afghan War critic making this thread. What next, Ktulu joining the IDF?
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    damn I hate to say it but this thread is a bit ironic.
  • getchamoneyrigh
    getchamoneyrigh Members Posts: 506
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Airforce is where its at, Al Qaeda dont have fighter jets. Seriously, sign up for the air force, get a nice desk job. The boot camp is like 6 weeks and easier than other branches, the pay is good, and with a college degree its the place to be.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Airforce is where its at, Al Qaeda dont have fighter jets. Seriously, sign up for the air force, get a nice desk job. The boot camp is like 6 weeks and easier than other branches, the pay is good, and with a college degree its the place to be.

If you looking for a check, this man is right on the money. With your degree you can be a commissioned officer. You can make a decent salary to start especially now that its "war time". Probably around 50-60k area. If you do your 4 years you will have much more opportunities to pursue something that you wish to do being prior military.
  • Ordem e Progresso
    Ordem e Progresso Members Posts: 142
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I graduated from Hunter College this month with a Bachelors in Political Science, and while I've only started applying for high level jobs for less than a month, I am fast getting impatient with how slow the job offers are coming in. I've sent at least 30 resumes so far, but all I am getting in return for sending them is spam mail and silence. My wish is to be a paralegal or something along those lines, but because I have less than a year experience with office work (as a messenger), it's hard for employers to take me seriously.

So I am thinking of joining the Army Reserves, hoping I don't get sent overseas.My hope is that with the Army Reserves, I can get some kind of enlistment bonus that can help me pay for my armed guard training, which can help me make much more than the average paralegal. Does anyone here know anyone in the army reserves? Is anyone here in it? I can go to army.gov but I would rather hear first hand information from people that know EXACTLY what the army reserves is like.

Any info would be much appreciated (or job offers lol).

This is not a reason to join the military. I get it, gotta eat to live, gotta make money to eat but this is the wrong reason to get involved in the military period. Plus if it or it's current agenda is against your values, it might not be the most intelligent means to an end.

If you address the real issue, it's that you can not find employment in the field you went to school for right now. What you need to do is start networking. There are ways to do that, you can volunteer for organizations who's mission you believe in and will put in the work for because they will provide you experience and references (most ICONS and top successful people started volunteering real early in life for experience and networking), you can get involved in young professional organizations in your community where you can meet your peers and also people who are where you want to end up who can mentor you. You can network lots of ways but those are the most intelligent. In the meantime you can apply to entry level positions and get yourself experience and a little cash flow.

Now is also a good time to be innovative and entrepreneurial if you are good at anything even if not degree related, a lot of people are successful at fields outside their degrees.

Now, being that you graduated with a Bachelors in political science I would be surprised if you you aren't trying to get into politics or journalism. Either way you need to network and volunteer it's important in politics especially.

Get experienced in ground work, community, and network. Also consider getting experience in non-conventional ways. You have education fine but you need to acquire transferable skills and experience now. Get a mentor if you can. What are your career objectives? What are you applying for?
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This ain't the 90s bruh, Reservists don't get to chill like they used to.

LMAO @ the SL's most outspoken Afghan War critic making this thread. What next, Ktulu joining the IDF?

LMAO, I know!!!!!!!!! I'm already working as a security officer but I want some good, second income coming my way. It will be kind of funny (ok, very funny) for a guy who HATES the Afghan war to be fighting in there himself. Wow.....

does ? hate me?
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    If you looking for a check, this man is right on the money. With your degree you can be a commissioned officer. You can make a decent salary to start especially now that its "war time". Probably around 50-60k area. If you do your 4 years you will have much more opportunities to pursue something that you wish to do being prior military.

Wow. I'm loving the posts I'm seeing in here so far, I'm going to do some research on the Air Force very soon. Just wondering though, is there an Air Force Reserves? I don't wanna travel too far from home, too often.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Wow. I'm loving the posts I'm seeing in here so far, I'm going to do some research on the Air Force very soon. Just wondering though, is there an Air Force Reserves? I don't wanna travel too far from home.

Lol i bet you wont want to wake to early.. or run too much either lol.. ? got restrictions and ? lmao
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options

This is not a reason to join the military. I get it, gotta eat to live, gotta make money to eat but this is the wrong reason to get involved in the military period. Plus if it or it's current agenda is against your values, it might not be the most intelligent means to an end.

If you address the real issue, it's that you can not find employment in the field you went to school for right now. What you need to do is start networking. There are ways to do that, you can volunteer for organizations who's mission you believe in and will put in the work for because they will provide you experience and references (most ICONS and top successful people started volunteering real early in life for experience and networking), you can get involved in young professional organizations in your community where you can meet your peers and also people who are where you want to end up who can mentor you. You can network lots of ways but those are the most intelligent. In the meantime you can apply to entry level positions and get yourself experience and a little cash flow.

Now is also a good time to be innovative and entrepreneurial if you are good at anything even if not degree related, a lot of people are successful at fields outside their degrees.

Now, being that you graduated with a Bachelors in political science I would be surprised if you you aren't trying to get into politics or journalism. Either way you need to network and volunteer it's important in politics especially.

Get experienced in ground work, community, and network. Also consider getting experience in non-conventional ways. You have education fine but you need to acquire transferable skills and experience now. Get a mentor if you can. What are your career objectives? What are you applying for?

Great post, and yeah you're perfectly right. Personally, I would love a career in journalism, since that's always been a deep love of mine, but paralegal work would work for me as well. I've applied to many jobs involving journalistic work and paralegal work, no luck so far. I've also tried administrative and human resources positions, I'm going to start applying to different hospitals tomorrow. I'm also going to take your advice and try to network for volunteer jobs, let's hope it works out.

Worst come to worst, I'll join the Army Reserves or Air Force Reserves, if there is such a thing.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Lol i bet you wont want to wake to early.. or run too much either lol.. ? got restrictions and ? lmao

I got standards my dude, lol. I don't mind running or waking up early though, I used to run track and play soccer in high school. I may be too picky for my own good though, especially in this economy, but ? it. I can get away with that, for now. I got no kids and I'm only 26.

But I will lower my standards if my job search looks more and more bleak.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If your afraid of going to war and dont want to, I suggest you dont join. If you do sign on and end up getting called up saying no to them will likely send you to prison and will definitely get your dishonorably discharged, both which will ? any future hope of a nice job up. I know a good bit of people who are in the military, the airforce, marines, and army. If you do need to enlist though because finacially you need that help go to the airforce.

I'm not afraid of war per se, I play war games all the time.....in my gaming lifetime, I mustv'e killed over 10,000 people, so I think my mind is at least okay with killing. Seriously though, why do you recommend the air force? Is there an Air Force Reserves?
  • Ordem e Progresso
    Ordem e Progresso Members Posts: 142
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Great post, and yeah you're perfectly right. Personally, I would love a career in journalism, since that's always been a deep love of mine, but paralegal work would work for me as well. I've applied to many jobs involving journalistic work and paralegal work, no luck so far. I've also tried administrative and human resources positions, I'm going to start applying to different hospitals tomorrow. I'm also going to take your advice and try to network for volunteer jobs, let's hope it works out.

Worst come to worst, I'll join the Army Reserves or Air Force Reserves, if there is such a thing.

You would be better off finding a position in journalistic research or proof reading based on your interests and as a foot into a career. Know where you are going and make proper decisions. military makes no sense unless you plan to actively involve yourself in strategy and tactical positions which mean you need to be ok with being deployed and being onvolved from the gound level, which honestly you don't seem to be.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If your afraid of going to war and dont want to, I suggest you dont join.
    no joke, this is the correct answer. if you really don't want to be in that situation, it's better not to join.

people are recommending the Air Force because it's traditionally the "easy" service. but it's not 100% easy.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I'm not afraid of war per se, I play war games all the time.....in my gaming lifetime, I mustv'e killed over 10,000 people, so I think my mind is at least okay with killing. Seriously though, why do you recommend the air force? Is there an Air Force Reserves?

The games aint nothing like the real war. And killin on a video game is nothing compared to acually killing someone. But I said go to the airforce because with your degree going into that branch is likely where you will the most money starting off. If you get a desk job you dont have to worry about going into war, and your best chance to avoid acually fighting would be there of all the branches. You could probably go into the airforce and get a job being a journalist somewhere, put 20 years of journalism in with them and you can retire when your 46.
  • sickbizzle
    sickbizzle Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    L if you enlist in any military branch when you have a college degree. with a degree at least find a way to get commisioned as an officer - 1st year 2nd LT makes more money then a 20 year SFC enlisted in the Army.
  • major pain
    edited June 2010
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    Join the Air Force & avoid the hassles the other branches will bring you.Even in combat situations the AF ALWAYS has it better than the Army Marines etc. Damn I recall when I was in combat zones the AF always had it better e.g.,flush commodes and the showers were better & of course the living accommodations were better as well. The Air Force is the way to go! just enlist and get it over with,hell you might even like it?

edit afterthought

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/airforcejoin/a/afbmt1.htm

Exactly, the Air Force is Military Lite. Do NOT enlist if you have a degree, though. Setting yourself back for sure.
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    damn I hate to say it but this thread is a bit ironic.

Indeed.

FURIOUS STYLES: "What I tell you bout that?"

TRE: "I know, pops. The black man aint got no place in the white mans army.."
    -Boyz N Da Hood
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    Exactly, the Air Force is Military Lite. Do NOT enlist if you have a degree, though. Setting yourself back for sure.

Why would it be a setback? This economy is terrible. I would love to set up my own business, such as a laundrymat or convenience store, but the money isn't there for me. I could ask a bank or friends, but I don't feel comfortable owing people money now, not when I got rent in expensive ass New York City to worry about.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    sickbizzle wrote: »
    L if you enlist in any military branch when you have a college degree. with a degree at least find a way to get commisioned as an officer - 1st year 2nd LT makes more money then a 20 year SFC enlisted in the Army.

I guess it would be an L if I would enlist in the military reserves now as a college graduate, but the jobs are not really there now. I applied to 30 positions over these past 2 weeks, so far nothing. There's jobs out there being created, sure, but not enough of them. I'm not DEFINITELY gonna do this, I'm just thinking about it. So far, I'm leaning on joining the Air Force or Army reserves if things don't get better in 3 months, maybe 2 if I'm impatient. I may just wait one month.....

And I'm not too familiar with military slang, what's a SFC? I know a LT is a lieutenant.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The games aint nothing like the real war. And killin on a video game is nothing compared to acually killing someone. But I said go to the airforce because with your degree going into that branch is likely where you will the most money starting off. If you get a desk job you dont have to worry about going into war, and your best chance to avoid acually fighting would be there of all the branches. You could probably go into the airforce and get a job being a journalist somewhere, put 20 years of journalism in with them and you can retire when your 46.

I was just joking about the videogame thing, LOL.....no way would I ever compare killing guys in Doom compared to stabbing a man in the neck in real life. But you just dropped some great knowledge on me though, I'm leaning more and more to the Air Force.

Do you know how hard the Air Force exams are? I hear there's a lot of math required, which I'm ok at, but I'm not exactly Pythagorous.
  • major pain
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If you have a degree, enlisting will keep you from the opportunities that your degree offers. If you decide to join, only join as a commissioned officer. You will get experience as a mid level manager as an officer and once you get out officer status > enlisted status in the civilian world.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    Indeed.

FURIOUS STYLES: "What I tell you bout that?"

TRE: "I know, pops. The black man aint got no place in the white mans army.."
    -Boyz N Da Hood

the white mans army?

the commander in chief is black

yall voted for him specifically because he was black, so i know you aint forgot he's black
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    the white mans army?

the commander in chief is black

yall voted for him specifically because he was black, so i know you aint forgot he's black

LOL! I dont vote, dude. I dont give a ? if a purple plaid mofucka run for office- ITS ALL BAD.You should already know by now the conventional assumptions you fork posters with dont apply to me. Ive evolved past the idiocy of reverse racism many moons ago. White is a cultural identity, not a race. Within said paradigm, Obama is WHITE.To reiterate, Obama is the manchurian candidate.
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    DON'T DO IT, BRUH! At the best you'd be better off going active.

At the worst, you will deploy every 13 months, for 12 months.