George Lucas: "Hollywood is still RACIST" (Problems with getting "Red Tails" Made)

Options

Comments

• desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    rage wrote: »
    They dont.....its a fact...the fact that black movies are pigeonholed as "hood" movies and "historical dramas" should clue you into the fact that black movies are treated as niche products.

hood and historical dramas are the only black films being green lite by the studios and wha white person really wants to pay to keep seeing janky promoters or the roots over and over if at all....why not give a movie like the matrix or borne identity with an all black cast a chance?...a good movie is a good movie...

can't see how u continue to defend this ? and claim its all about the money when actors like ashton kutcher or jennifer aniston star in flop after flop and still have careers yet black actors aren't even given a opportunity to succeed
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    every black persons should go support this

if they greenlit a ? movie concept like this summers battleship

then i know we can go out there and see a action movie about or black history
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Its not racisim, its business. Whites dont give a ? about black casts and black themed movies and they make up the majority of the population so.

so how's this not racism again
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Kinda annoys me when ppl say.. zippy ? like HOPE ITS DOPE!..

this is a movie based on real events historical context yadda, yadda.. while it wont be 100% factual,... this isnt Hangover .. its history i can understand what your are saying to a degree ... but appreciate one of our stories being told..

its common,.. an also a copout .. also annoys me .. to say "its not about race" its about.. class .. its about money..
  • Catalyst2012
    Catalyst2012 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

cosign to the FULLEST... Ima go see it too.
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

this is a movie based on real events historical context yadda, yadda.. while it wont be 100% factual,... this isnt Hangover .. its history i can understand what your are saying to a degree ... but appreciate one of our stories being told..

cosign

I love this point
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

its common,.. an also a copout .. also annoys me .. to say "its not about race" its about.. class .. its about money..

Word... lets support a positive black film for once. lol

And yea the whole argument that is not about race is ? ...the truth is either the majority of white movie goers are prejudice/xenophobic/racist or that hollywood studios are either prejudice/xenophobic/racist... i choose the latter

Hollywood can make a movie about a pig, dolphin, horse or a goat but colored people are taboo unless they're the side kick, tribes men, in drag, a maid's uniform, or a thug. Its sad... They rather continue to produce super hero movies or romantic comedies with all white cast though most are flops...
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I'm really excited for Red Tails!
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The one from the 90's was a good movie as well.

Hated to see that death scene where homeboy couldnt bail out and everybody heard him die.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

? the university of Phoenix, ? .

I'm down with Everest, ? . Everest, ? . EVEREST, ? !
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Yes, but in this country there are more whites than blacks. Whites will identify and relate to whites on screen, other nationalities in this country are also brainwashed into thinking anything white is good. Hence there are always going to be more "white" films than "black" films....I mean how many "latino" movies are there?

THere was a study done a while ago, whites are more likely to see a film with a white lead or majority white casts than a black lead or all black casts...even when they didn't realize "why" they were choosing the white majority film, they still chose it
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    Options

but what if it's simply not a good movie (not saying it will be, i plan on seeing Red Tails and have for a while)? What if the acting is bad, or whatever? Should black people still go rush out to see it just because it's a black cast? I'm all for supporting movies with black directors, black leads, and all that...it's great, but it seems like often people want blacks to support an inferior product simply because it's black produced...and that's just stupid
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    What's goin' on with you red tails, mane.

Foxx ruined this ? for me. I can't watch him without laughing ever again.
    Im coming for you Mr ? , mane.

What's going on with these planes mane? lmao

As soon as I seen the commercial for this movie that's what I thought of.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    did u watch 300? corny ass lines throughout, including in the trailers. How well did that bs do?

Nope and I still havent watch the flick in its entirety whenever its been on TV....Try again.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    wtf r u talking about?
    black people support movies with all white casts... and show me proof that ? dont support good black movies... we were supporting good black movies all through out the 90's...

Dude that was back in the 90s... One of the GOAT eras... I'm talking about now... Where we still don't know why Kim K is famous
    That new keke and queen latifa movie is not gonna do numbers...In the 90s it would have
    Not all black people support a all white cast if there's no talent.... I don't see ? talking about the next Jennifer Aniston movie
    If Red Tails had denzel and will smith in it it would do numbers... Terrence Howard and Cuba??? And you want people to invest in your movie?
    It's business
  • Catalyst2012
    Catalyst2012 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    but what if it's simply not a good movie (not saying it will be, i plan on seeing Red Tails and have for a while)? What if the acting is bad, or whatever? Should black people still go rush out to see it just because it's a black cast? I'm all for supporting movies with black directors, black leads, and all that...it's great, but it seems like often people want blacks to support an inferior product simply because it's black produced...and that's just stupid

most people of all races do that. they just copy what the next person is doing.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    THere was a study done a while ago, whites are more likely to see a film with a white lead or majority white casts than a black lead or all black casts...even when they didn't realize "why" they were choosing the white majority film, they still chose it

What's crazy is in a similar study they showed that blacks, latinos and asians had no issues with seeing an all white cast as well as seeing films of their background. So why is it that only White People have a problem with minority films and cast? People don't see an issue with that. So it's ok for us to be forced to watch them but when it comes to our films they don't bother to show up unless it's a Comedy or a negative stereotype of us. There is something wrong with that.

Also for those saying we need to support our films. We do, why do think "Boyz In the Hood", "X" and other black films made the money they made it was cause Blacks always supported our films. The only Black Films whites seem to go to are Comedies, they love seeing Blacks act a fool. I'm happy it was someone like George that said this so now they can't pull the "Oh they are pulling the race card, they are anrgy, they need to get over slavery" talk they always say. Now that it's someone like George, the whole industry is shook right now. George don't give a damn, he don't need the clout or the money cause he's already a living legend in entertainment. He really aired out the industry with this. Rumors are going that a lot big time executives are really mad at George for this story right now. George Ghetto Pass just got a lifetime reinstatement.
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options

uh no... but you dont know its not a good movie till you see it correct.. if people can flock to corny mindless comedies surely they can check this out.. fact is if this movie was dressed differently the forward perception and"excitement" of a new war movie would be exponentially greater
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ghetto pass though...

lets just call it support.....
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ghetto pass though...

lets just call it support.....

LOL, you know that's a joke man, George's clout in saying this really just validated what a lot of black actors and film makers have been saying for years. Outside of Steven Speilberg saying this, he's probably the next biggest person in Hollywood that could of said something like this and it have impact. His Lifetime Box Office gross is over 10 Billion Worldwide. Only Steven has sold more.
  • playmaker88
    edited January 2012
    Options
    LOL, you know that's a joke man, George's clout in saying this really just validated what a lot of black actors and film makers have been saying for years. Outside of Steven Speilberg saying this, he's probably the next biggest person in Hollywood that could of said something like this and it have impact. His Lifetime Box Office gross is over 10 Billion Worldwide. Only Steven has sold more.

lol. from you i believe but their are alot of negroes that ride or die with "knighting" honorary negroes,, and beleieve in the mythical hood pass
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    black people go to all the big movies... stop the fuckry... and if u r talking about that Queen Latifah and Dolly Parton movie...smh@that being good or worthy of support...

Black people will go see big movies if its good... Just like white people... Everything isn't race ? ...
    White people saw Ray right?... Precious?... Slum Dog Village?... Crouching Tiger?...
    What about that Tom Hanks Julia Roberts movie... No one saw that... Why because even though it mite be a good movie they are not big time actors...
    While Ryan Reynolds is still making movies...

It's Business...
  • bmoreeast
    bmoreeast Members Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Tuskegee-airmen-DVDcover.jpg

This movie was very dope came out in the mid-90's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Airmen

History of Tuskegee Airman

"Red Tails" trailer

What Kills me is these Hollywood executives always use the excuse that Black Cast and Black Directors don't make money at the box office yet White Directors and White actors get to flop over and over again and still get funding and projects made. It's funny that a film about Black Hero's doesn't get made but a film like "The Help" which is about Black Maids from a book can get green lit with no problem. "Glory" is a great film but it's true that the White Actors highlighted the film and Denzel and Morgan out shinned everyone, glad Denzel won the Oscar for that. SMH @ George Lucas (Red Tails) and Spielberg (The Color Purple) making better Black Flims than Tyler Perry. Spike was right all along, It's sad that his message get tainted cause the media has demonized him and his opinions on racist Hollywood. Let's see what White America has to say now that George pull the curtain over their clear bias against Black Cast and Directors. On Yea, Neo and Method Man are in "Red Tails". Wow at a Black Film saying "From the Creator of Star Wars", Props to George for This, I forgive him for Jar Jar now, lol.

Actually this trailer makes me more interested in the movie then the trailer that they've been running on television. Black audiences actually support comedy based black movies but not historical ones. Alot of times the historical ones are either boring where you cant market towards a younger black audience or its just a lil too sad and hurtful that no ones wants to revisit those times.

This movie looks interesting but they dont seem to know how to promote these type of movies to us. You have ? , Neyo, and Terrence Howard in yet they have made no type of promotional push towards the younger hip hop community. Most of the times its like they just say its 'for us by us' and expect us to go out in see it. Tyler Perry movies may be trash but he knows how to market to his target audience.
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hollywood will support anything that makes money. If viewer demand was high for a movie about flavor-flav taking a ? , Hollywood would have it out by march and 2 sequels by september. Look at Twilight, made from books universally viewed as pieces of ? with horrible writing, but get marketing and production precedent because little ass girls will see the movie 5x and buy up the Toys-r-us in merchandise.

smh. Not everything is about racism.

Hollywood is run by greedy jews who will do or produce anything that will put money in their pockets and pull the plug on anything that won't. Its not their problem that nobody gives a ? about Tuskegee Airmen Part 2, and there's no business sense in throwing bones and proving points. George wife been polluting his brain with that jive pillow talk.

And we really gonna pretend anybody should be fighting over the rights to cut Cuba Gooding jr a check? Word?

Sooner or later ? will have to stop accepting racism as the blame for everything.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Even though the movie looks ? I hope it does well