Parents and non Parents: what would you do?

Options
rockets
rockets Members Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
This is play on the anti intellect thread. We all know that black children are often as seen as inferior in school and that the sterotype is that black children don't want to learn. It can also be said that some think that black parents (? blk people) most times give less than a damn when it comes to education. So what do you do when your kid or relative acts up in school? A place that is strictly for learning. Or what do you do when your child sasses a teacher, fails a class, or says they hate school or is not interested. I ask because I saw this on another blog.

Ochocinco, who I don't follow, is angry becasue his 13 year daughter was suspended for being very rude to a superior (teacher).

Teacher: Why are you late?

Ocho daughter: Why do you care you get paid anyway.

I don't know about others, but my child would probably come back to school with no teeth. Why do our children often times hate teachers, school, or anything to do with sitting in a classroom? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Give her a warning the first time. Threaten her with punishment for subsequent infractions. So far just the warning has worked. I just tell her it's one of those things that must be done whether you like it or not....as are most things in life so it's good she gets used to it now. Not excelling in school is not an option. Unless she was really slow (which she's not) there's no excuse.
  • Iheart~Cali
    Iheart~Cali Members Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Didn't read the whole post sorry.

TO answer : She'd get an ass whoopin.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i teach my godson to work around and within the system..

teacher says dont talk.. he/she didnt say dont communicate.. WRITE A NOTE ? ! hahaha

some kids arent susceptible to bein institutionalized..
    i was one of them.. so i understand the plight..
  • Mindstarter
    Mindstarter Members Posts: 492
    edited January 2012
    Options
    My daughter isnt disrespectful to her teachers or elders because I didn't raise her like that....but she has said that she hated school or hated doing her hw. When she gets in that mood, I just ask her what does she desire to learn and what does she want to be when she grows up. We end up having a convo about her goals and aspirations and then it comes back to working hard & getting your education in order to achieve those goals....Knocking her teeth out is something that I usually dont have to end up doing.
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Ground her, make her apologize, and make her understand why that teacher gets paid.
    I'm not gonna let my kid be so damn stupid that she thinks an education is pointless.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    13 years old? My child would have stopped that behavior from pre-school! I would also instill a no-failure policy in his/ her head from the moment they learn how to read and write. I would have stopped that anti intellectual ? ASAP.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    arrogant people raising arrogant children.

She learned that attitude of self-entitlement from home.
    Ocho & her mother should schedule a meeting with the teacher and had the daughter apologize for disrespect.

Because in the real world, some people do not care who your father is nor would they tolerate disrespect.
    The school did the right thing in suspending her because she showed no remorse and it seems as if ocho is mocking the punishment from the school asking his "twitter friends" if she was right or wrong.

As a parent, he shouldve went to his daughter and spoke to her about the situation; instead of being a confused adult who make childish decisions and run on twitter.

I dont believe in ass whoopings but she needed her ass kicked to know that she is not an adult nor can she disrespect one.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Can't set your ? children up for failure. My kids act up in school and how it gets dealt with will depend on the actual act and how they are actually doing academically. But NONE of it will be pushed aside as 'No big deal'.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    you need to explain that the teacher has her education and that they need the teacher to get their education...

then id beat they ass for disrespecting adults.

i always tell my kids to respect adults no matter what....but then call me to take care of it. I handle adult ? no you

these damn kids too damn grow...

i'd be scared to say some ? like that outta my mouth
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    Why didn't the teacher respond with the logical response:

"I am a teacher and I get paid to ensure that you behave according to how society wishes. I have dedicated my life to help mold children into respectful human beings. That is why I care. Now, why were you late?"

teacher dont have to say ? .....teacher can call me and i will come to the class and handle it for them....because as a parent i actully will look bad cause its my kid acting like that
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    some teachers don't give a ? about their students. and only see their dollar signs that come out of "teaching"
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I hate this whole "system" argument. and being "institutionalized"

A lot of the social mores we learn in school is ? you should do anyways. Like learning that tardiness isn't okay. Learn to respect people's time. I had a meeting with someone and they had me waiting for 20 minutes. I ? ' left.

? just need to grow the ? up.

exactly...? need to learn that early is good on time is average and late is just dumb when you can help it

? act like people always gotta be on they time no matter whats going on.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    So the child's question should not be answered? They should just be disciplined and never explained the bigger picture?

why should the teacher waste time correcting or answering an ignorant ass disrespectful child? thats a waste of time and takes away from kids that want to learn. send they ass to the principals office and get back to the lesson. no one owes that ? child ? and thats what these kids fail to understand. by answering the child you encourage that stupid ? .

this child obviously has not fear of consequence

besides at that age they should already know right from wrong and know what they just did was wrong and know what the bigger picture is.
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I hate this whole "system" argument. and being "institutionalized"

A lot of the social mores we learn in school is ? you should do anyways. Like learning that tardiness isn't okay. Learn to respect people's time. I had a meeting with someone and they had me waiting for 20 minutes. I ? ' left.

? just need to grow the ? up.

its not that cut and dry..
    if i come to class ON TIME on monday.. and the lesson is count by 2s from 0-10.. i now know how to count by 2s PERIOD..
    if i come to class tuesday.. and the lesson IS STILL learning to count by 2s.. BUT from 10-20.. im like what the ? ..
    Wednesday.. no different.. same 2s.. 30-40

so u know what.. by thrusday.. im like ? this class.. ? jus tell me when's the test cause i know this ? ..

if ur showing me how to do somethin and i dont know how to.. im fully engaged.. cause i do want to learn..
    but after i learned it.. lets move on.. i dont need to learn it for a week.. i dont need to take it home and study.. im not a ? ..

THATS why school never was for me.. THATS why school isnt for everyone..
    THATS the institutionalization im talkin about..
    pretty soon a kid sees the pattern.. school 8-3 15 min break.. 30 min lunch.. bell ring.. take home work.. complete by due date..

sounds like some 9-5 ? to me..
    and everyone aint workers..

im jus sayin..
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    rockets wrote: »
    ...Teacher: Why are you late?

Ocho daughter: Why do you care you get paid anyway...
    Meh, that doesn't seem suspension-worthy.

That teacher is just soft as ? .
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I wasn't told this explicitly, but this wisdom served me well in school...
    and we need to be very careful how we label these issues...
    more blacks are getting graduate degrees than ever... we are not inherently against education... we are however against perceived illegitimate authority...

u jus hit the nail on the head my dude..