Should we stop wastin our money on ghetto youths?

Options
-Vincenzo-
-Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
Each year the state, charity organisations and private persons spend an enormous amount of money and time into convincing deviants teens to follow the right path in life, only to find out, that the majority of kids, who refuse to go this path, wont let some program or street worker change their opinion of school and all that.

In my opinion, we should stop chasin people who obviously dont want to go this way and rather start using our efforts to help people, who are out there in dire need of someone giving them a chance. There are millions of kids in this world, who would love to take these stubborn kids places. The success rate would probably be 10 times higher, let's not even talk about all the frustration people would spare themselves from by begging some wanton yutes on their knees to go back to school.

your thoughts on my NO shaniqua/YES starvin marvin concept?

Comments

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    yes we should
    i could never understand why were trying to force people to be great if they dont want to, ? em....
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    I agree. But how would you filter out these children?

by implenting an "open door" policy, meaning you only offer programs like tutoring,mentoring etc instead of forcing kids into them as a disciplinary measure. and this open door works both ways, if someone wants to leave, tell them about the consequences and if the kid still wants to leave let them leave and do not force them to stay.

teach kids self-responsibility, you are the architect of your own fortune, no one else.
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited January 2012
    Options
    So they would be leaving by their own discourse. Interesting, except, don't most programs already implement such practices?

it's pretty common to oblige problem kids to visit special programs, sometimes this is a disciplinary measure, in some cases it's even part of their parole. these programs are umpteen times as cost intensive as normal school.
  • ceothachosen1
    ceothachosen1 Members Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    research oppression and its effects then rethink this question
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    to stop all that

they shuold just not make it mandatory for kids to go to school

you dont wanna see that world
  • Truerap
    Truerap Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I come from a house full of killers and pimps but i wanted to learn that why me and my brother were the first one in are family to pass high school.

And I'm only 18.
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »
    to stop all that

they shuold just not make it mandatory for kids to go to school

you dont wanna see that world

kids is one thing, teens another. with 16 you are considered an adult in most parts of the world, we should stop treatin them like little kids. with so much time on their hand and so less responsibilities, we dont have to be surprised to see them doin so much ? .

you could try it in a few school/areas first and see how it works out
    Truerap wrote: »
    I come from a house full of killers and pimps but i wanted to learn that why me and my brother were the first one in are family to pass high school.

And I'm only 18.

after all it's just a decision, i see it the same way. even though it takes a hell of a heart to make it out
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i disagree with you...
  • harlem hustla
    harlem hustla Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    What money is being wasted on ghetto youth?
  • Purr
    edited January 2012
    Options
    yo...
    I'm doing some literature reviews for a presentation/article so I don't really have time to break this ? down...
    some of the problems with this approach are the assumptions that 1. mad money is being wasted, 2. these programs are ineffective, and 3. that society doesn't benefit from such initiatives...
    of course we can let the "undesirable" fall by the wayside, but they don't just evaporate... they become bigger problems...

most kids age out of crime and deviance... #fact... to give up on them would be fruitless and misguided...

I dont usually agree with you but I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS STATEMENT. :)
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Please show me all the money that's flooding to these communities.

Don't worry; I'll wait.
  • Mr. AJ
    Mr. AJ Members Posts: 1,706 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I think there are bigger fish to fry besides my own people. If you honestly think that cutting funding towards whatever endeavor in these so-called ghettos will rescue the economy then you aren't grounded in reality.

SMH @ classist ? 's... what a damn joke. You ain't even in the tax bracket that actually makes your argument relevant and conducive to your complaints.
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited January 2012
    Options
    yo...
    I'm doing some literature reviews for a presentation/article so I don't really have time to break this ? down...
    some of the problems with this approach are the assumptions that 1. mad money is being wasted, 2. these programs are ineffective, and 3. that society doesn't benefit from such initiatives...
    of course we can let the "undesirable" fall by the wayside, but they don't just evaporate... they become bigger problems...
    most kids age out of crime and deviance... #fact... to give up on them would be fruitless and misguided...

okay but if they do age out, why dont we just let them age out tho? i was a juvenile offender and the day i woke up was the day i came home and my mother left. after that i realized that life is no game but dead serious. i think we procrastinating this wake up call, a lot of kids need by cushioning the effects of their wrong doings.

let them feel the consequences and i bet a lot of them would think twice about further pursuing this path.

and please give us proof, that these programs are not ineffective. i highly doubt this at least for all the mandatory ones. i just dont see a kid saying "oh cool, school is great, now i found out after i was forced to talk to a mentor once a week." they dont take these idealistic hippy folks serious and this is first-hand information. if they really want support, offer it and let them decide to use it. period

(and i dont talk about undesirables in general, every underprivileged kid is per se an undesirable from the standpoint of a lot of people. it's about the kid, who dropped out of school the 3rd time...)
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited January 2012
    Options
    In analyzing success rates, studies demonstrate that the recidivism rates are lower during the first year a youth completes boot camp as opposed to other programs. The recidivism rate during that first year is as low as 20 percent, according to the National Criminal Justice Reference Service. However, beyond the first year, recidivism rates for youth who went through boot camp or some other juvenile offender program ended up being about the same.
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/222298-what-is-the-success-rate-of-juvenile-boot-camps/#ixzz1jYMbfWWT

I am not at all saying stop supporting troubled youth - far from it, I am saying stop forcing your support on them. And I am still waiting for someone to prove, that forced support does anything but frustrate the supporter and annoy the youth, leave alone the time and money wasted since this is what the thread is about...
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited January 2012
    Options
    *posts photo of large wellfare + food stamp lines*

*Posts photos of safe injection sites for heroin addicts*

That's not what we're discussing. Two non-Americans, much less two ignorant non-Americans speaking on things they know nothing about.

Fact: On average between 70-85% of all public school funding comes from local property taxes. In other words, rich people have better schools than poor people. ALWAYS.
    Fact: Both programs you spoke of are government appropriations. Just a hint: it is their jobs to provide those services. I know college kids with food stamps, they a drain on the system too?

Back to the drawing board, bruh.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Who's the other non-american?

Safe injection sites are contradictory and a dumb idea. It is not the governments job to pay people to sit on their ass or to aid in feeding their addictions.

? , you have to have children to be on welfare. It's not for the adults, it's for the kids. What? Kids should starve cuz their parents are ? -ups? Is this some grandfather clause of nutrition? Should you get kicked out of school cuz your step dad is uneducated?
  • politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    That's not what we're discussing. Two non-Americans, much less two ignorant non-Americans speaking on things they know nothing about.

Fact: On average between 70-85% of all public school funding comes from local property taxes. In other words, rich people have better schools than poor people. ALWAYS.
    Fact: Both programs you spoke of are government appropriations. Just a hint: it is their jobs to provide those services. I know college kids with food stamps, they a drain on the system too?

yeah but in DC they spend more money per student than most schools in the nation
    and its the same in NJ, and they still dont do as well as school as blk kids from harlem NY
    where they spend considerable less money.

the U.S spends more money on blk kids per student than any other industrialized nation
    more than the chinese and the germans and we are not getting good results.

until you deal with broken and dysfunctional families, education and other programs are only going to help
    on the margins. education funding has increased over 40% in the last 10 yrs and the test scores have gotten worse
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited January 2012
    Options

so who said, this was about america? do you really think the same ? isn't going on over here in europe or in canada? to be honest, it's even much worse over here...
    and i heard about this tax thing and think it is unfair, no doubt. but we are still talking about forcing people into programs/help and not about just providing/offering this help for the ones that are interested.

the first is ? imo, while the ladder should be even extended with the money saved by stopping the first one.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    research oppression and its effects then rethink this question

Don't worry; I'll wait.

This.
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited January 2012
    Options

Don't worry; I'll wait.

it is about using this money more effectively, do you read threads or do you just skim through em?
  • Mindstarter
    Mindstarter Members Posts: 492
    edited January 2012
    Options
    are you saying there are no lines at the wellfare office?

I was just there last month, and it wasnt as crowded as I thought it would be.
  • Plop Star
    Plop Star Members Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    when will they let the lil kids in the hood play
  • Gnawledgeable
    Gnawledgeable Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Not only black youths but for anybody that doesn't want help or don't try to better their lifes, ? 'em.
  • -Vincenzo-
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Not only black youths but for anybody that doesn't want help or don't try to better their lifes, ? 'em.

trill talk, race/age/etc doenst matter, stop forcin help on people...there are enough people, who want this help
  • Purr
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The money is wasted on terrible programs that do not give the "ghetto" (aka black/latino) youth a different outlook on their environment.
    They are usually lectured to death about what they've done negatively and what they should be doing without the proper guidance nor a chance to experience a different culture to get a sense of, "I can be anything I want to be".

Plus, these people claim to understand these children's plight can hardly grasp what really happens in these at risk youth homes. These children live in a world of survival of the fittest and if there is a program that allows them to see the world and give them hope for the better. Then, you will see a growth in better communities of blacks/latinos.

Exposing a child to a positive environment would encourage them to think outside of the box of what they are used to like: poor economic conditions, poor environment surroundings, domestic abuse, violence, ? , drugs, and anything else that can mentally hold someone back.

I understand you all are amazing people who can rationalize this topic to see these at risk youth a stubborn but if you're surrounded by idiots and you grow up with idiots; you live in a village of ignorance. What else can they know? What else can these children experience but if ignorance is their only guidance?