Chris Henry already had degenerative brain damage

Options
Darius
Darius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
well thats not a suprise.

and thats not a joke either
we have seen common threads in these cases: emotional disturbances, depression, failed personal relationships and businesses, suicidal thoughts, sometimes alcohol or drug use."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5333971

Comments

• G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i heard about this..i wonder what this had to do wit that ? murkin him...
  • Darius
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i heard about this..i wonder what this had to do wit that ? murkin him...

well it made him unstable enough to where he was involved w/ her in the first place
  • iamkang
    iamkang Members Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yeah its pretty sad i think this should be a bigger story bc you have kids playing football and they dont have the proper helmets
  • allied
    allied Members Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »
    yeah its pretty sad i think this should be a bigger story bc you have kids playing football and they dont have the proper helmets

Bingo. But this story will get swept under the rug because it isn't as juicy as where is Lebron going; who is Tiger sleeping with. Honestly it makes me wonder when I have sons if they are going to play football or not. The NFL is not going to change anything until someone drops dead on the field from a vicous hit.
  • eyes low
    edited June 2010
    Options
    with how big and fast these guys are it might happen soon its sad that something like that has to happen first
  • Tha Killa
    Tha Killa Members Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    allied wrote: »
    Bingo. But this story will get swept under the rug because it isn't as juicy as where is Lebron going; who is Tiger sleeping with. Honestly it makes me wonder when I have sons if they are going to play football or not. The NFL is not going to change anything until someone drops dead on the field from a vicous hit.

My ? Jack Tatum almost killed Daryl Stingley with a hit but it ended up paralyzing him for life and severely limiting his life span. The NFL still hasn't changed much since then. The sad part is that they changed the rules enough to make great defenses almost impossible to come by. Every rule change they've made the last 30 years has benefited the offense more than anything.
  • Darius
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Wasn't he suspended alot? I don't think the hits were the main cause. This may be hereditary or just a freak condition because he definately didn't get knocked around that much
  • eyes low
    edited June 2010
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    Wasn't he suspended alot? I don't think the hits were the main cause. This may be hereditary or just a freak condition because he definately didn't get knocked around that much

well he was a bit of a loose cannon but it might not take a lot one or two hard hits might be enough.
    But it doesn't take a collision with another player for brain trauma to occur.

"The brain floats freely in your skull," said Bennet Omalu, a neuropathologist who is co-director of BIRI. "If you're moving very quickly and suddenly stop, the brain bounces."

so you dont even need to get hit for it to happen
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I think if you take 80% of the NFL they have this condition visible in their scans. When your 250lbs and can run like a 130 pound sprinter and hit with the ? force of a Mike Tyson punch your most sensitive and most important yet not as protected part of your body is bound to show some effects in no time.
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Options
    just like in the media, this ? right here doesnt get enough attention.
  • Darius
    edited June 2010
    Options
    this is why I wouldn't be suprised if the league outlaws running backs (i.e. Adrian Peterson) from spearing the tackler with his head.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    espn ain't even going to do an otl on this..hbo real sports might...on pti wilbon said his son ain't playing football...nfl needs no helmets to protect the players
  • Darius
    edited June 2010
    Options
    espn ain't even going to do an otl on this..hbo real sports might...on pti wilbon said his son ain't playing football...nfl needs no helmets to protect the players

OTL did a show on "purple drank" they aint got time for this ? here.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    OTL did a show on "purple drank" they aint got time for this ? here.

otl did a show on where to find the hoes in Cape Town
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Chris Benoit had mad brain damage from multiple concussions. Said he had the brain of a 80 something alzheimer's patient, smh
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options

My co-worker friend almost got killed in a head on collision with the opposing player in high school and has suffered from brain damage and is partially paralyzed on one side!
    All because of an improper helmet, and his school tried to slip that under the rug, smh!! It's a shame, but I know he was happy to be alive!!

So with this happening to Chris Henry and most likely other NFL players, I could understand!
    But regardless, that situation is still fishy, it still doesn't count out his girl maybe having an intention.
  • traestar
    edited June 2010
    Options
    this is why I wouldn't be suprised if the league outlaws running backs (i.e. Adrian Peterson) from spearing the tackler with his head.

And I mean play football, but these organizations just have to provide these players with the right gear. NFL has to do it, why not the schools??
  • eyes low
    edited June 2010
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    My co-worker friend almost got killed in a head on collision with the opposing player in high school and has suffered from brain damage and is partially paralyzed on one side!
    All because of an improper helmet, and his school tried to slip that under the rug, smh!! It's a shame, but I know he was happy to be alive!!

So with this happening to Chris Henry and most likely other NFL players, I could understand!
    But regardless, that situation is still fishy, it still doesn't count out his girl maybe having an intention.

Damn thats sucks at least hes till alive. No one wants to be held accountable just look for a scapegoat all the time
  • traestar
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Damn thats sucks at least hes till alive. No one wants to be held accountable just look for a scapegoat all the time

Thats what his coach was doing when they were trying to sue, he disposed the helmet that was evidence! smh!
    He would've got good money!
  • john2009
    john2009 Confirm Email Posts: 2,081 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    But it doesn't take a collision with another player for brain trauma to occur.

"The brain floats freely in your skull," said Bennet Omalu, a neuropathologist who is co-director of BIRI. "If you're moving very quickly and suddenly stop, the brain bounces."

so you dont even need to get hit for it to happen

yeah..i have heard going on roller costers and ? can contribute to stuff like di sbecause of da sudden fast movements...and da rate of da G-forces wit the costers
  • Darius
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ARtest needs to be tested asap. MarshAwn lynch too