Will Kendrick Lamar be commercially successful?

Options
stealthbomber
stealthbomber Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭
edited January 2012 in The Reason
i dont think he will ever be a household name like nas or jay-z but stay more in the indie scene. i see him in 5 years being looked at like elzhi, maybe with a little more popularity. those that know him know what to expect from his music, soulful, introspective with jazzy beats. but i dont see him blowing up on a large scale. maybe im wrong, thats just what i think.

Comments

• Mr. AJ
    Mr. AJ Members Posts: 1,706 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I have to concur
  • ROFL.GUY
    ROFL.GUY Members Posts: 3,117 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    no

hes a pure MC

he wont be able to cross over to the pop/rap genre

hw will be the biggest non maintream MC tho next 5yrs

he doesnt have STAR potential

THIS IS A GREAT THING..

he will able to make the type of music HE wants to
  • jek
    jek Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I think he can be one of the few artist that can go mainstream and still get underground respect based on his rap skills for the underground and his conections for the mainstream
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I think in a couple of years he'll be bubbling under the surface, not mainstream or underground. I guess it depends where he signs to (major label). Imagine him on YMCMB
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I think in a couple of years he'll be bubbling under the surface, not mainstream or underground. I guess it depends where he signs to (major label). Imagine him on YMCMB

Lil Wayne said he was dope like in 2006? 2007? So you never know.
  • jek
    jek Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I mean think about it....Drake is as Pop Rap as it gets and K.Dot is straight from the underground wit it and they touring together. When was the last time you see an artist with as much pop appeal as drake touring wit a guy like K.Dot? He's getting the much needed exposer and everywhere I go he's all people seem to be talkin about. I even over heard a few white girls speak on him. We all know once the Becky's are talkin about you then you finna be a popular rapper
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    jek wrote: »
    I think he can be one of the few artist that can go mainstream and still get underground respect based on his rap skills for the underground and his conections for the mainstream

^^^^^c/s

i also find it funny when people look down when a rappers doesnt become a mainstream star.....likes its a bad thing......
  • Mr. AJ
    Mr. AJ Members Posts: 1,706 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Remember Little Brother? = Kendrick Lamar

He will live out/parallel their experience in this industry.

Black Hippys = Justus League
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Lil Wayne said he was dope like in 2006? 2007? So you never know.

Yea Wayne been ? with Top Dawg and the Black Hippy movement, Schoolboy Q close w Tyga and Kendrick was on Birdman and Mack Maine new mixtape and Drake album/tour
  • yeah i rap so don't
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Yea Wayne been ? with Top Dawg and the Black Hippy movement, Schoolboy Q close w Tyga and Kendrick was on Birdman and Mack Maine new mixtape and Drake album/tour

Tyga's management is from Hoover
  • Bcotton5
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Tyga's management is from Hoover

Crips? I know Tyga ? wit Schoolboy Q heavily he went at 40 Glocc for him
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    He's going to be a bit more successful than the likes of Lupe, and he may have a gold album with a good single, but he gonna grind like mad to do so. Unlike Lu, who dropped his debut album in the era of the non-lyrical, one-hit wonder (04-09), Kendrick can get away with being lyrical in this age. He also gotta get along with everyone.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Crips? I know Tyga ? wit Schoolboy Q heavily he went at 40 Glocc for him

40 got asked in person if there was a problem, and he did not. Do not believe the hype.

Wild Self wrote: »
    He's going to be a bit more successful than the likes of Lupe, and he may have a gold album with a good single, but he gonna grind like mad to do so. Unlike Lu, who dropped his debut album in the era of the non-lyrical, one-hit wonder (04-09), Kendrick can get away with being lyrical in this age. He also gotta get along with everyone.

How can you say be more successful than Lupe, and may have a gold album? You are aware all of Lupe's albums have gone gold, and some of his singles went platinum, right? If he is going to be more successful then he would have to do gold or better.
  • Bcotton5
    edited January 2012
    Options
    40 got asked in person if there was a problem, and he did not. Do not believe the hype.

How can you say be more successful than Lupe, and may have a gold album? You are aware all of Lupe's albums have gone gold, and some of his singles went platinum, right? If he is going to be more successful then he would have to do gold or better.

lol didnt 40 Glocc steal Tyga chain from his dressing room or some ? and act like he robbed him?
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

I said at least a Gold selling album. He needs to drop a single bigger than "Superstar" or "Kick, Push" to get crossover success that everyone wants him to be. Its not impossible for Kendrick to stay true to himself and have long term success, especially when in an era where lyrical songs and albums are selling.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

Lupe has two gold albums and I think two or three plat singles
  • yeah i rap so don't
    edited January 2012
    Options
    lol didnt 40 Glocc steal Tyga chain from his dressing room or some ? and act like he robbed him?

I have no idea on the details on that one

Lupe has two gold albums and I think two or three plat singles

The Cool, Lasers are certified gold. Superstar, and The Show Goes on are platinum.

Wild Self wrote: »
    I said at least a Gold selling album. He needs to drop a single bigger than "Superstar" or "Kick, Push" to get crossover success that everyone wants him to be. Its not impossible for Kendrick to stay true to himself and have long term success, especially when in an era where lyrical songs and albums are selling.

You said he may have a gold album with a good single. That followed saying he would be more successful than Lupe, and Lupe has two gold albums. So....
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    ? these office depot blowup ads
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    is he lightskinded?

You're such a ?
  • stealthbomber
    stealthbomber Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    jek wrote: »
    I mean think about it....Drake is as Pop Rap as it gets and K.Dot is straight from the underground wit it and they touring together. When was the last time you see an artist with as much pop appeal as drake touring wit a guy like K.Dot? He's getting the much needed exposer and everywhere I go he's all people seem to be talkin about. I even over heard a few white girls speak on him. We all know once the Becky's are talkin about you then you finna be a popular rapper

as ridiculous as that sounds thats a powerful sentence. once u get white girls on your team success is certain, word to drake.
    Mr. AJ wrote: »
    Remember Little Brother? = Kendrick Lamar

He will live out/parallel their experience in this industry.

Black Hippys = Justus League

yupp thats an even better analogy than elzhi, kendrick will be like phonte in 5 years. i see the black hippies being exactly like little brother was from 04-07. but the black hippies are better.
    ? these office depot blowup ads

lol for real tho that ? gets me every ? time!!
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    i dont think he will ever be a household name like nas or jay-z but stay more in the indie scene. i see him in 5 years being looked at like elzhi, maybe with a little more popularity. those that know him know what to expect from his music, soulful, introspective with jazzy beats. but i dont see him blowing up on a large scale. maybe im wrong, thats just what i think.

While I could totally see what you're saying I know A LOT of people that ? with him. I'm not just talkin about my circle either, like a pretty good amount of people and those ? have no idea who elzhi is. I could see him being one of those rappers who always has critically acclaimed albums and has a loyal fan base that pushes him to 100k plus but not anything more. Honestly now a days you don't need that ? anyways especially when you're independent. Word to spitta.... Hopefully him and cole can still do that mixtape(I doubt it especially now that cole is big), that would get him some more notoriety
  • sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I think if he can get out a couple songs with crossover appeal like 'ADHD' he might push 150 to 200K and make some tour money opening up for a bigger artist or as part of a hiphop festival circuit.

I mean cats like MF Doom and Kool Keith have lasted forever so it is possible to be successful on that underground tip...
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I've been hearing a lot about him lately. Never actually heard a song of his until I clicked on the ADHD video.....

IMHO, absolutely he *CAN* blow up. Will he? Depends if he gets the right features, makes the right singles, gets a good push, etc. like always.

I mean if you had told someone listening to So Far Gone when it came out that Drake would be like, the face of Radio Pop Rap in a few years, muthafuckas woulda laughed at you. So who knows. I'm just intrigued by the fact that between him and OFWGKTA, West Coast Rap is finally coming back in a real way and moving on past that old 90s legacy.
  • netrmerica
    netrmerica Members Posts: 4
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Only if he can ride out those Dr Dre beats like Em/50/Game did.

He definitely has the skill and talent... But i doubt he'll ever sell as many records as Drake or Lil Wayne...

He respects hip hop way too much to sell out for the extra sales... I hope...