Do you believe proper grammar equals intelligence

Options

Comments

• heavyrelish
    heavyrelish Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    language is no more than symbols used to convey certain concepts...
    using slang doesn't mean anything... its just how some folks communicate... y'all been programmed to feel superior about the way y'all communicate... its quite humorous...
    "my words are proper" lol...
    ? ...
    I understand what youre saying to an extent but I gotta disagree. All races have a slang or a way that they speak when amongst themselves or in relaxed, casual settings, but for whatever reason younger generations feel we should be able to talk in the boardroom the same way we speak on the block. If I take my child to the doctor, I dont want the doctor to say 'its like this b, it just is what it is folk, we gotta take the young bull tonsils out on some outta there ? '. If I go see my accountant, I dont want that ? to try and sound cool when he says I just lost 20 grand in a ponzi scheme or some ? , my banker using slang when they call and say im a victim of predatory lending and my mortgage payment just doubled. Nigguhs need to grow up....
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »
    u also need to capacity to EXECUTE!

i know alot of know it all good for nothins..
    so AGAIN.. intelligence doesnt equate to success...

Yeah, I didn't pay attention to what you said.

Intelligence doesn't equal success, but a successful person is always intelligent.

Don't have to be classicly educated, or at all educated. But in anything you have to have the capacity to learn.

That's why I get annoyed when people call artists who make popular records bad artists. If everyone could come out and sell 5 mil, wouldn't they? Intelligence is so much broader than what we view it as.

I remember reading a book about Dave from Wendy's how he was a man who flunked outta high school surrounded by Harvard MBAs in his board room. School just isn't for everyone. I'm sure if I had no choice but to just go for it, I could. I'm that confident, but school, for me anyways, is so much easier. I didn't go to school for an education, I went and am going for the degree. You get your education on your own.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I understand what youre saying to an extent but I gotta disagree. All races have a slang or a way that they speak when amongst themselves or in relaxed, casual settings, but for whatever reason younger generations feel we should be able to talk in the boardroom the same way we speak on the block. If I take my child to the doctor, I dont want the doctor to say 'its like this b, it just is what it is folk, we gotta take the young bull tonsils out on some outta there ? '. If I go see my accountant, I dont want that ? to try and sound cool when he says I just lost 20 grand in a ponzi scheme or some ? , my banker using slang when they call and say im a victim of predatory lending and my mortgage payment just doubled. Nigguhs need to grow up....

i understand what ur sayin..
    and to me thats whats wrong with society..

they so focused on the words they miss the message..
    me personally.. i dont care how u say it.. all im concerned with is what ur sayin..

a master of words is a master manipulator..
    wait... that was jus too much game right there. lol
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited January 2012
    Options
    language is no more than symbols used to convey certain concepts...
    using slang doesn't mean anything... its just how some folks communicate... y'all been programmed to feel superior about the way y'all communicate... its quite humorous...
    "my words are proper" lol...
    ? ...

This ol' Comm. Studies ass ? here. haha. That was one of my majors and it's DRILLED into you what a language is.

"A conventional system of signs and symbols." I wrote a paper arguing in favor of the Oakland school board decision to put ebonics in schools. It is a language. Arguably a pigeon language of English, but a language none the less with it's own rules and words. Words an and of themselves have no meaning. We give them meaning.
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    capitalb wrote: »
    i understand what ur sayin..
    And to me thats whats wrong with society..

They so focused on the words they miss the message..
    Me personally.. I dont care how u say it.. All im concerned with is what ur sayin..

A master of words is a master manipulator..
    Wait... That was jus too much game right there. Lol

#whyyouwearscarveswhenyouaintgotnoneck?
  • heavyrelish
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Its certain things u do in youth that u think are acceptable that are ? corny, b. I used to get on the train, stinking like weed, pint of henny in my back pocket, id run up on a chick and talk so much slang to her and think that i was what it was. Now I c that ? on the train nd I just laugh at youngins. Its a part of being young, I understand. Its like if u got big bread, u can go into the bank and talk to the customer service associate like Ghostface if u want. But when your account is negative 300 dollars and u go in there slang heavy, theyre just like, this ? nigguh. I know thats how I would look at a muthafucka..
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't pay attention to what you said.

Intelligence doesn't equal success, but a successful person is always intelligent.

Don't have to be classicly educated, or at all educated. But in anything you have to have the capacity to learn.

That's why I get annoyed when people call artists who make popular records bad artists. If everyone could come out and sell 5 mil, wouldn't they? Intelligence is so much broader than what we view it as.

I remember reading a book about Dave from Wendy's how he was a man who flunked outta high school surrounded by Harvard MBAs in his board room. School just isn't for everyone. I'm sure if I had no choice but to just go for it, I could. I'm that confident, but school, for me anyways, is so much easier. I didn't go to school for an education, I went and am going for the degree. You get your education on your own.

life is the best teacher..
    ull learn alot livin and watchin others live

education is education ..and im all for it..
    im against the institution of it though..

but yeh.. u do need the capacity to learn and WANT to learn.. and then be able to apply it..
    that Kanye skits comes to mind with this thread.. about havin all them diploma's and gettin burried with them... and can do time tables really fast! hahaha
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited January 2012
    Options
    thechoice2 wrote: »
    lol @ saying it shows education, a ? was able to type with good grammar since the 5th grade. Does that mean you consider a 5th grader to be educated?

If you're still synthesizing thoughts at a 5th grade level bruh......

Damn.
  • heavyrelish
    edited January 2012
    Options
    these cats just like to feel superior to the next man...
    "me smart, no use slang!"
    lol...

Nah, but u gotta know how/when to flip it and bounce it.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Nah, but u gotta know how/when to flip it and bounce it.
    This is why proper english doesn't denote intelligence. Especially on the internet like someone else pointed out. But if they never use anything but slang like someone else said, they might be a redneck.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited January 2012
    Options
    these cats just like to feel superior to the next man...
    "me smart, no use slang!"
    lol...

it's not about using slang, it's about ONLY being able to communicate using slang...everybody uses slang...it's natural...but the more ways you can communicate the better off you are...if you can only speak in a proper context you get almost nowhere in life either...there's a bunch of people with degrees up the ass but can't get nowhere in life simply because the only way they can communicate to people is in what people consider a "proper" manner and nobody is that way 24/7, everybody has a relaxed way of speaking it's called being social...hell not even in a workplace environment are people like that the majority of the time...but if you only have one way of communicating, you're not getting too far
  • heavyrelish
    edited January 2012
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    it's not about using slang, it's about ONLY being able to communicate using slang...everybody uses slang...it's natural...but the more ways you can communicate the better off you are...if you can only speak in a proper context you get almost nowhere in life either...there's a bunch of people with degrees up the ass but can't get nowhere in life simply because the only way they can communicate to people is in what people consider a "proper" manner and nobody is that way 24/7, everybody has a relaxed way of speaking it's called being social...hell not even in a workplace environment are people like that the majority of the time...but if you only have one way of communicating, you're not getting too far

perfect.....
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Kirk wrote: »
    if your appendix is exploding, do you want a surgeon to say "ayo dun, the streets was my teacha, ima heal you up hella fast"?

or do you want him to say "I have a doctorate from Johns Hopkins University."?

for real, do people understand that there are useful and necessary degrees from college that show and prove a person is qualified to do their job? ? kanye west.
    but yeh.. u do need the capacity to learn and WANT to learn.. and then be able to apply it..

however or wherever u learn it long as u know how to do it..

be surprised how many cheat/skate they way through college for a degree..
    ask them 5 yrs later what they learned..
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited January 2012
    Options
    if your appendix is exploding, do you want a surgeon to say "ayo dun, the streets was my teacha, ima heal you up hella fast"?

or do you want him to say "I have a doctorate from Johns Hopkins University."?

for real, do people understand that there are useful and necessary degrees from college that show and prove a person is qualified to do their job? ? kanye west.

I think you're confusing expertise with intelligence.

If someone doesn't learn to be a surgeon, they can never be expected to be a master surgeon. This thread isn't a debate on IF they learn, it's HOW they learn. Would I feel more comfortable with a trained surgeon from Hopkins? Of course, who wouldn't? It's the society we live in, and I can trust the product produced by that institution. However, that's not to say an autodidact surgeon can't be just as proficient. He would simply have to prove it. The point of the degree is to prove you have the knowledge(not even in some cases). Cuz to be honest, the same ? you learn in a class room you can learn for free at a library, but no one will know that you know it.
  • Mr. AJ
    Mr. AJ Members Posts: 1,706 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Having a limited vocabulary doesn't equate to being unintelligent. But it's always good to know more than 1-3-4 different ways to convey the same thought. That's all articulation really is.

Then you have other things like enunciation, vernacular, dialect, accent that people equate into gauging intelligence.

I say all this ? is subjective depending on what standard of education you set as being the bar.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited January 2012
    Options
    critical thinking and problem solving >>> "being well spoken"

You gotta understand, oc. A lot of ? don't realize that school was simply teaching you how to think and not what to think.

A good school anyways.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    however or wherever u learn it long as u know how to do it..

be surprised how many cheat/skate they way through college for a degree..
    ask them 5 yrs later what they learned..

? wouldn't believe what some of these physicans and lawyers were really up to while getting those credits. Yet they wonder how misdiagnosis and mistrials happen.
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2012
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    ? wouldn't believe what some of these physicans and lawyers were really up to while getting those credits. Yet they wonder how misdiagnosis and mistrials happen.

nah... but they got degrees b... they know everything!!!
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2012
    Options
    no im saying its ? ? to say "im against institutionalized education"

While this unfortunate cerebral runt has a rudimentary grasp of sarcasm, his layman's familiarity with the benefits of a rigorous curriculum of education prevent him from appreciating subtler forms of wit.

Or as my ? T once said, "Dis ? ..."

lol sorry.. come again..
    what exactly are u tryin to say here!!?

maybe im too busy winnin in life to fully comprehend..
    let me pause that for a second..

okay.. u have my full attention..
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It is what it is, breh.

And if you can't understand what I mean, well, you just don't have the street wisdom I have, breh.

money >> wisdom

im jus sayin..
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2012
    Options
    real ? know that a fool and his money are soon parted, b

thats the thing though..
    i aint no fool..

now.. where's all that wisdom gettin u in life!!?
    u smarty art ? can never seem to answer that..
  • CapitalB
    edited January 2012
    Options
    like T.I. said.. get a house.. get a Benz.. ill value ur opinion then..
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    lol@the knowing the proper usage of an apostrophe being an indicator of ones aptitude...
    no wonder this world is in such disarray and so many dummies have power...

Co sign, I blame the SAT and ACT.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The SAT was fun, never took the ACT though.

I would've ? that ? if I did.nh
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Act >>>> Sat tho.