Legal brain teaser...who is guilty of murder?

Options
Lorenzo de Medici
Lorenzo de Medici Members Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in AKA Donkey
I push a man off the empire state building's roof. On the way down, he is shot and killed by American Loo on his way past the 50th Floor. Who is guilty of murder?

Comments

• Lorenzo de Medici
    edited June 2010
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Both..........

You can't charge two people who weren't connected in any way with the same crime. Either Loo killed him, or I killed him, but there's no way we both killed him. I mean for real, I might have pushed him. But he was alive when he got shot. Who's to say he wouldn't have survived the fall by some miracle?
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited June 2010
    Options
    attempted murder?
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    you eat what you ?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I doubt the gunshot would be the cause of death.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited June 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    I doubt the gunshot would be the cause of death.

He is shot in the head and dies instantly.
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Kay I would stick every inch of my ? inside your ?

or in that cute lil mouth of hers...n then in her butt
  • djparamnesia
    djparamnesia Confirm Email Posts: 434
    edited June 2010
    Options
    loo would be done for murder and you would be done for attempted murder, if you both got caught and they knew what happened.
  • CPTJamesT.Lurk
    CPTJamesT.Lurk Members Posts: 763
    edited June 2010
    Options
    In this case it would come down to intent. A good prosecutor would argue that you intended to ? him by pushing him. The gunshot would be circumstantial in this case. Because your actions lead directly or indirectly to the death you would be charged with the homicide, but you could probably plea to a lesser. Loo would be charged with reckless endangerment for discharging a firearm in a public or unsafe location. If he happened to be in his home at the time of the shooting because the bullet left the premises he would be charged with some type of negligence.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yall both black???

Yall both doin life
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited June 2010
    Options
    In this case it would come down to intent. A good prosecutor would argue that you intended to ? him by pushing him. The gunshot would be circumstantial in this case. Because your actions lead directly or indirectly to the death you would be charged with the homicide, but you could probably plea to a lesser. Loo would be charged with reckless endangerment for discharging a firearm in a public or unsafe location. If he happened to be in his home at the time of the shooting because the bullet left the premises he would be charged with some type of negligence.

You can't charge me with a homicide I didn't commit. Attempted, sure. But I didn't ? him.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    yall both black???

Yall both doin life

^^^ BINGO....

But Loo is guilty of either 1st and 2nd degree murder depending on how good the DA is and how well he can prove that pointing a good = premeditation. He'd probably go with murder 2 though.

You're guilty of Attempted murder for sure.

BUt the most realitic answer is ? 's answer. Both yall black ? is going to jail for life.
  • CPTJamesT.Lurk
    edited June 2010
    Options
    You can't charge me with a homicide I didn't commit. Attempted, sure. But I didn't ? him.

It's all about intent. Your actions put him in the position to take the bullet. You would be found guilty of murder.
  • Lorenzo de Medici
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's all about intent. Your actions put him in the position to take the bullet. You would be found guilty of murder.

how can it all be about intent? If I run over someone with the intent to ? them and they don't die, why should I go to jail for murder? They didn't die after all
  • CPTJamesT.Lurk
    edited June 2010
    Options
    how can it all be about intent? If I run over someone with the intent to ? them and they don't die, why should I go to jail for murder? They didn't die after all

In that case it would be attempted murder. The case that you stated the victim died.
  • fiat_money
    edited June 2010
    Options
    He is shot in the head and dies instantly.
    Well if the gunshot is the cause of death, Loo would be the murderer.

What's more interesting is could the gunshot truly be the cause of death. Since "instant death" is rarely instant, even with beheading. "Instant death" only occurs when all vital functions cease immediately and permanently.

It would only take him around 2.52866199 seconds to fall to the ground from the time his body is at the 50th floor; this won't be enough time to suffer enough blood loss for cardiac arrest to occur, so his heart should still be beating despite the headshot. Meaning--assuming the bullet completely destroyed his brain--he would still only be brain-dead at this point.

His velocity immediately before impact will be 86.4152743 m/s (193.30546326951 mph), making his (assuming he is of average mass for an adult male) collision impulse 7483.562754379999 (N x s); which should destroy his heart and remaining vital organs, causing true instant death.

The fall would ? him.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Loo would just deny it, and say u shot him them pushed him off the building

But Fiat went all out in detail with his logic, co-sign
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    U would be tried for attempted murder but loo would get the murder charge
  • fiat_money
    edited June 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Well if the gunshot is the cause of death, Loo would be the murderer.

What's more interesting is could the gunshot truly be the cause of death. Since "instant death" is rarely instant, even with beheading. "Instant death" only occurs when all vital functions cease immediately and permanently.

It would only take him around 2.52866199 seconds to fall to the ground from the time his body is at the 50th floor; this won't be enough time to suffer enough blood loss for cardiac arrest to occur, so his heart should still be beating despite the headshot. Meaning--assuming the bullet completely destroyed his brain--he would still only be brain-dead at this point.

His velocity immediately before impact will be 86.4152743 m/s (193.30546326951 mph), making his (assuming he is of average mass for an adult male) collision impulse 7483.562754379999 (N x s); which should destroy his heart and remaining vital organs, causing true instant death.

The fall would ? him.
    And if the fall kills him, the pusher would be the murderer.

Looks like the pusher was trying to make the shooter the fall guy.

horatio.gif