Shaq interview: "Steve Nash is my boy, but I don’t see how the ? he got it twice"

Options
KingJamal
KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
http://www.vibe.com/post/v-exclusive-shaquille-o’neal-addresses-his-legacy-pat-riley-rapping-and-certain-two-guard-12860

VIBE: Evaluate your performance so far in the new gig.
SHAQUILLE O’NEAL: I’m at a low -C. I’m learning and will only get better. I just want to keep people entertained. I don’t want to be talking with the big vocabulary and all that ? . I’m short and to the point. I’m very educated and can give you somewhat of a vocabulary, but I don’t get to the philosophical side.

Let’s look back at your career. You went to LSU with Stanley Roberts, a talented big guy that didn’t make it because of his work habits. Why weren’t you another Stanley Roberts? Was it because of your father Sarge’s discipline?

Yes. Someone said once that what I went through was abuse. But I was glad he did it. He taught me to think before I made a terrible mistake, and to think about the consequences. One time, [my friends] stole a car and a guy started shooting, and one of my friends got shot. Because I was scared about what Sarge would do to me, I thought about it. “Hey, Shaq, let’s steal a car.” “Well, dad’s gonna whip my ass. If we get caught, we go to jail. I don’t feel like doing that tonight.
Nah, y’all go ahead. I’m cooling.” I owe my parents everything.

How did you respond to not making the 1992 Dream Team?
I was surprised, but I’m a realist. Christian Laettner was better than me. He was fundamentally sound, had the footwork and could shoot.

It seemed like the Magic considered drafting Chris Webber after your rookie year. Why did you prefer Penny Hardaway?
Me and C-Webb may have worked, but he needed the ball and I damn sure needed the ball. I wasn’t ready to share with another big guy. My thing was, if I’m going to get blamed for everything, then I’m really the general manager. Seriously. I called If I played now, I’d be averaging 45 and 19. People always try to compare Dwight Howard to me. There is no comparison. upstairs and said, “Listen, I know you’re thinking of taking C-Webb, but you have to see this Penny guy.” And it worked for a couple of years, until egos got involved.

You talked in your book about how that caused you to leave Orlando. But why Los Angeles? Was it because of the team or the entertainment industry?
I went to L.A. for Jerry West and, of course, the opportunities—I was doing music, movies, producing movies. Best decision I made in my life. What was your motivation for doing movies and rapping: money, fame or simply a creative outlet? It was a young, medium-level juvenile delinquent fulfilling his dreams. I really never wanted to do an album—”Man, I’m not that good”—but Jive gave me $5 million. I couldn’t turn that down. First movie I got was Blue Chips—$3 million. Kazaam—$6 million. I’m never turning that stuff down.
Ever. When I went into the studio with my favorite rappers, I got their respect. That was enough for me.

Did you write your own rhymes?
I do. I’m just stuck in a place where I can’t say what I really want to say because I am a role model. I don’t claim to be the best rapper, but I’m the best basketball rapper. Guarantee that.

Better than Metta World Peace?
Oh, way better. I’m killing Artest.

Were the movies and music ever a distraction?
They thought it was, but, no. It was just taking advantage of opportunities, meeting people and having a good time. People that don’t understand basketball were saying, “You need to work out.” But you can’t maximize your potential after the third hour of workout. Studies show that you can’t do that. After three hours, if you’re still working out, you’re doing yourself a disservice. I worked my ass off to get to where I’m at. But after that, Shaq is gonna go home and take a nap. When I wake up, it’s going to be 5 o’clock, and then that’s opportunity time.

I think Game 7 of the 2000 Western Conference Finals against Portland was the defining moment of your career. What was going through your mind, down 15 in the fourth quarter?
The doubts are creeping up in my mind because that was my best year—I won the MVP. And I would have made history and been the first unanimous MVP ever, but some ? from Atlanta voted for Iverson and ? up history. He did. But the Portland game, if the general panics then the troops will panic. Phil was like, “I’ll see you next summer.” That’s all he said. We were like, “No, we’re not going out like this.” Steve Smith was out there celebrating way too early. But you’re right: That game could have broke me if we didn’t win.

Some sportswriters think you underachieved because you only won one MVP.
Steve Nash is my boy, but I don’t see how the ? he got it twice. I was taught never to complain because you can’t beat the system. People know who the real dominant guy was. But Steve Nash, I don’t want to say it

Comments

• KingJamal
    Options
    Shaq did deserve more than 1
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq only got one MVP, damn never realized that ...
  • KingJamal
    Options
    2nd part comes out tomorrow
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when kobe and shaq each only have 1 mvp and steve nash has 2, it shows me that mvps dont mean much

finals mvp though>>>>>>>
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They wanted to give Nash that 3rd mvp too, but not even MJ did that so they held off. How that ? won two mvps not playing a drop of defense amazes me. smh
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i still dont understand how nash got 2 and kidd didnt get one when he took my ? nets from a 26 win team to 52 wins with little talent
  • your flyness
    your flyness Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? allegations ? Kobe out of one of them. And the NBA played the safe route with Nash
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? allegations ? Kobe out of one of them. And the NBA played the safe route with Nash

Yah the Nash/ Dirk Mvps came on the heel of that malice in the palace i think those things factored in a lil bit
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At least Shaq know what's up. I never understood how Steve Nash won two MVP's back to back, but Kobe only won one; when he was the only reason his team even made it to the playoffs those years, ballhoggin or not, in the first place.
  • MrJR
    MrJR Members Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just like you typical ic ? .Posters been saying this ? all along but yall rather wait until a celebrity says it to agree all you ? are sheeps.
  • KingJamal
    Options
    MrJR wrote:
    Just like you typical ic ? .Posters been saying this ? all along but yall rather wait until a celebrity says it to agree all you ? are sheeps.

Well if it isn't T-Mac
  • CockMcStuffins
    CockMcStuffins Members Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who's defining moment was game 7 2000 wcf?

Player A had 25 pts 11rebs 7ast and 4blks

Player B had 18pts 9rebs 5ast 1blk
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

shhhhhh!!! dont ? them with facts bruh. everyone knows Kobe did the heavy lifting in those WCF series during the 3peat......only for Shaq to dominate "rik smits" in the finals. oh and for the dummies Player A is Kobe, a top 4 GOAT player

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Options

C: Who gives a ? ?

Shaq's biggest issue was his early years were doing the Jordan era. He was the runner up twice, 3rd twice, 4th twice. If he wasnt playing his prime with Kobe and/or the teams finished with better records, he might've won another one.

He also missed alot of games with injuries. From 96-98, he missed a total of 81 games.

Kobe's biggest issue was that his teams werent that good. You cant win MVP with teams that barely make the playoffs. To my knowledge Moses is the only guy to win MVP on a team with less than 50 wins.

Kobe didnt even deserve the MVP he won. CP3 did.

People need to get it thru their head that right or wrong, the MVP has became more of a team award than an individual award.
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    Obviously u did because u took time to quote me and answer
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrJR wrote:

exactly

• PanchoYoSancho
    Options
    Nash deserved those mvp's

The one in '06 was debatable, but I would've given it to Dirk over Kobe.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LMAO @ ego's got evolved, i understand the kobe situation, kobe was an ego-maniac ball hog, who was baptised jordan-knight, Penny on the other hand seemed like a cool laid back individual, dude game was far from selffish... Shaq got jealous cuz penny was getting all the attention...

ps. dwight howard is overrated as ? .
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options
    Taking a team from 29 wins to 62 =mvp

the next year losing amare to a knee injury and losing joe johnson and quentin richardson and still winning 50 plus games=mvp

yall ? need to quit hating because if a ? did this, yall would nominate him for sainthood
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Options

the next year losing amare to a knee injury and losing joe johnson and quentin richardson and still winning 50 plus games=mvp

yall ? need to quit hating because if a ? did this, yall would nominate him for sainthood
    I forgot about that.
  • CockMcStuffins
    Options

Yey, which is exactly what Shawn Marion did, that year. ...considering Nash was a liabilty who only played on one end of the Court, and 62 games aren't won with offense-only.

Oh absolutely....i dont know why marion couldnt lead them to 62 wins the year before when they only won 29 games sans nash
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mvp stands for most valuable player

If a ? who score 81 in one game, 62 in three quarters, and score 50+ in 3 straight games aint a MVP, there is no MVP
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    good interview
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why the ? is shaq so bitter towards dwight?
    homie should be the bigger man and try an take young homie under his wing.
    hakeem meets young'ns to teach em footwork, why won't homie do the same for howard?
    the ? hates howard so much he backed bynum who he originally hated cuz he thought he was bein replaced
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I called If I played now, I’d be averaging 45 and 19.

Shaqfat ass wouldn't be averaging no 45 and 19.... are we talking orlando shaq? or 1997-2001 shaq? cuz after those years that ? grew fat and lazy and became a fat piece of garbage...
    R.D. wrote:
    mvp stands for most valuable player

If a ? who score 81 in one game, 62 in three quarters, and score 50+ in 3 straight games aint a MVP, there is no MVP

i'd take nash before kobe on my team....