DOOM (RON SIMMONS & BUTCH REED)

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in Off The Turn Buckle
A powerhouse tag team, one of my favorite tag teams of all times and one of the few BLACK WRESTLERS who wasn't no boot lickers. DOOM KICKED ASS, Ric Flair & Arn Anderson got the business, The Steiners Got the business, The Rock N Roll Express got beat to a pulp. Only if they could of lasted longer as a tag team they would of been a top 10 of all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQlzvp4a1-c&feature=related

Doom was a professional wrestling tag team composed of Ron Simmons and Butch Reed. They competed from 1989 to 1991 in the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) and World Championship Wrestling (WCW).

Before the masksButch Reed had signed with Jim Crockett Promotions in 1988 after leaving the World Wrestling Federation[1] and feuded shortly with the Junkyard Dog.[2] Simmons had been with JCP for a while teaming with Eddie Gilbert but had not achieved much notoriety.

[edit] Woman’s masked teamWhen Rick and Scott Steiner started to team in 1989 a female fan (Robin Green) started following them around, professing her love for the cute & dorky Rick Steiner. Steiner's brother Scott and their manager Missy Hyatt began to have suspicions after the woman suddenly changed to a new vampy look. When the woman tripped Scott in the ring, causing him and Rick to lose to champions The Freebirds, it briefly caused dissention among the brothers. In the end, she turned on the Steiners, adopting the name Woman and vowed that the brothers would meet their "doom" at Halloween Havoc 1989 but never made it clear who or what “Doom” was.

At the night of the PPV Woman unveiled the Steiner Brothers' Doom – a couple of brawny, hard hitting masked wrestlers.[3] Doom won their debut match against the Steiners when one of the members of Doom pinned Rick Steiner after a headbutt with an illegal object in his mask. Doom followed up on this success by defeating Eddie Gilbert and Tommy Rich at Clash of the Champions IX, looking very strong in the process.[4]

Unfortunately Doom’s next PPV outing did not come with the same success. Along with the Steiner Brothers, the Road Warriors, and the Samoan Swat Team they were entered in a one night, tag-team round robin tournament but did not score a single point ending dead last in the tournament.[5] Doom’s misfortune continued as Woman soon dropped the team and left the federation. Then on February 6, 1990 Doom hit rock bottom when they were defeated by Rick & Scott Steiner and as a result of the stipulation were forced to unmask

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J6rTJzaEMM&feature=related

UnmaskedWhen Doom unmasked no one was really surprised to see Ron Simmons and Butch Reed underneath the black hoods, they had both been on WCW television shortly before Doom debuted and they were the only two African American wrestlers in the federation that had the same massive physical appearance. Freed of the masks and now under management of former referee Teddy Long, Doom began to prosper. Being free to use their full movesets and not trying to hide who they were, Doom earned another shot at the Steiner Brothers.

At Capital Combat[7] Doom shocked the world when they beat the Steiner Brothers,[8] a team that at that point in time did not lose very often. Doom won the tag-team titles and quickly set about defending them against the former champions the Steiners as well the rest of WCW’s very talented tag-team division. Doom defeated The Rock 'n' Roll Express at the Great American Bash 1990 and also mauled such teams as Flyin’ Brian & The Z-Man and The Southern Boys. In the fall of 1990 Doom soon got their hands full with The 4 Horsemen after a backstage altercation that saw the arrogant Horsemen insult Doom by not wanting to share a dressing room with them (this of course was a storyline). Doom then turned face and began a feud with The Four Horsemen

At Halloween Havoc 1990 Doom held on to their tag-team titles against Ric Flair and Arn Anderson despite both teams being counted out.[9] A no rules rematch was signed for Starrcade 1990 but on the night Ric Flair was replaced by Barry Windham since Flair was slated to wrestle as The Black Scorpion in the main event. Once again the result was a “No Contest”, this time due to a double pin (Windham pinned Simmons and Reed pinned Anderson at the same time) but despite the non-definitive finish the Doom / Horseman feud ended shortly afterwards.[10] At Clash of the Champions XIV Doom lost a non-title match to Sting and Lex Luger[11] in a match that foreshadowed the trouble that lay ahead for Doom.

[edit] Break up and beyondOn February 24, 1991 at WCW’s 1991 WrestleWar PPV Doom took on former tag-team champions The Fabulous Freebirds[12] and lost due to miscommunication between Reed and Simmons.[8] After the Freebirds left the ring Reed turned on Simmons and beat him up, turning Simmons face and ending the team of Doom forever. Teddy Long sided with Butch Reed as the former Doom partners engaged in a short but intense feud. The feud culminated at SuperBrawl I where Ron Simmons pinned Butch Reed in a Steel cage match (referred to as a "Thunder-Doom" cage match).[13] After the PPV Reed left the company allowing Ron Simmons to focus on other opponents while Teddy Long started to manage other talent in WCW. Long would appear in Simmons' corner occasionally after Ron became WCW World Heavyweight Champion in August 1992.

[edit] ReunionDoom was brieflly reunited on WWE's SmackDown on a few occasion that involved Teddy Long's wedding. Both Reed and Simmons appeared at Long's bachelor party and both were ushers in the wedding. At both occasions, Doom was mentioned.

Comments

• waterproof
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Ron Simmons and Bradshaw was basically DOOM 2, DOOM inspired the looks, attitude, toughness and ass kicking of APA
  • TdotGoHARD87
    TdotGoHARD87 Members Posts: 782 ✭✭
    Options
    doom was a solid team. wit theodore r long as the manager they were unique. i prefered ron over butch for obvious reasons, but overall solid 80's tag team
  • waterproof
    Options
    doom was a solid team. wit theodore r long as the manager they were unique. i prefered ron over butch for obvious reasons, but overall solid 80's tag team

they was a real dominat tag-team and Teddy Long took them to the next level, Ron Simmons gave T. Long props as a manager of the team and how important he was. I didn't know that T. Long worked his way up the ranks from putting the rings together, to a refree, to a manager and now a GM for WWE, props to Long.

But Doom could of made a serious run and have multiples tag team championship, WCW broke them up to soon
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Options
    saw them in person when i was little...one of my fav tag teams
    UgIq.jpg
    jUgNBGfM88UKVFF.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • da_enforcer
    da_enforcer Members Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Options
    Reading that reminded me how deep and talented tag team wrestling use to be
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good thread....extremely underrated tagteam probably most underrated ever
  • waterproof
    Options
    TheJamel wrote: »
    Doom was the ? .
    they leveled jobbers like LOD wish they could have.

LOL Doom had no respect for the jobbers, of matter of fact now that i think about it i feel bad for those jobbers in the 80's and early 90's especially those white boys from the south with those MULLETS, they was getting they ass beats for reals and leaving with real injuries. I remember Doom and Stan Hansen, Big Van Vader used to treat them like rag dolls.
  • waterproof
    Options
    good thread....extremely underrated tagteam probably most underrated ever

Yeah they are underrated as a Tag Team they went up against the great tag team in NWA/WCW, i remember when they beat the Steiners and the hype they had when woman brought them out
  • waterproof
    Options
    woman334.jpg
    Doom1.jpg

Team: Doom
    Members: Ron Simmons & Butch Reed
    Manager: Woman
    Manager: Teddy Long

Debut: October 1989
    Titles: WCW Tag Team Titles
    Previous Identities:
    Finishing Move:
    Favorite Moves:
    Notable Feuds: The Steiner Brothers
    Ric Flair
    Arn Anderson
    Marcus Bagwell
    Too Cold Scorpio
    Eachother

Butch Reed and Ron Simmons teamed up as Doom in World Championship Wrestling..

~~~The team was originally put under masks and managed by Woman (Nancy Daus-Sullivan-Benoit)..

October 28, 1989 - Halloween Havoc: Doom defeated The Steiner Brothers..

November 15, 1989 - Clash: Doom defeated Eddie Gilbert & Tommy Rich..

December 13, 1989 - Starrcade: The NWA featured a Tag Team Iron Man Tournament..

~~~Doom were defeated by the Steiner Brothers, Road Warriors, Fatu & Samoan Savage to place DEAD LAST!

February 6, 1990 - Clash: The Steiner Brothers defeated Doom in a Title vs Mask match and Doom were forced to unmask..

May 19, 1990: Doom defeated The Steiner Brothers for the NWA Tag titles, which would be later renamed to WCW Tag titles..

June 13, 1990 - Clash: Doom defeated The Steiner Brothers to retain the WCW World Tag Team titles..

July 7, 1990 - Great American Bash: Doom defeated The RockNRoll Express to retain the WCW World Tag Team titles..

October 27, 1990 - Halloween Havoc: Doom vs. Ric Flair & Arn Anderson ended in a DOUBLE COUNT OUT..

November 20, 1990 - Clash of the Champions: Ric Flair defeated Butch Reed in the main event..

December 16, 1990 - Starrcade: Doom vs. Barry Windham & Arn Anderson in a Street Fight ended in a NO CONTEST..

~~~Barry Windham pinned Ron Simmons and Butch Reed pinned Arn Anderson simoltaneously..

January 30, 1991 - Clash: Sting & Lex Luger defeated Doom by DQ (therefore Doom retains titles)..

Febuary 24, 1991: The Fabulous Freebirds defeated Doom to capture the WCW World Tag team titles..

May 19, 1991: Ron Simmons defeated Butch Reed in a Thunder Dome Cage Match..

• waterproof
    edited February 2012
    Options
  • waterproof
    edited February 2012
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP4Tq2upFLA&feature=related

THIS MATCH show you how DOOM as heel was becoming fan favorite and a great physical match, DOOM AND THE HORSEMEN Put on a show
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The black version of Road Warrior....all strength.......No skills
    Still a dope tag team...I remember watching the Starrcade Round Robin Tournament live on PPV. I wanted them to win so bad..
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My favorite tag team as a child
  • waterproof
    Options
    Black Excellence! One of the greatest and most dominant tag team of the early 90s Doom.

I'm upping this thread since we got MLK in TNA running things and Bobby Lashley holding the title and of The New Nation in WWE
  • waterproof
    Options
    @some_? !‌ bring in some Doom matches
  • RobCoLife
    RobCoLife Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    My favorite tag team as a child

Cosign