Why is Eddie Murphy sh!tting all over his own Legacy?

Options
MAKAVELI25
MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
I just saw the trailer for that "Thousand Words" flick, and I felt embarassed FOR him. Is this really what one of the greatest comics of all time has been relegated to doing? Duke hasn't made a good movie since "Dreamgirls". I understand if he's broke, but this is just getting sad.

Comments

• Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's an entire generation that has never seen an entertaining Eddie Murphy
  • MAKAVELI25
    Options
    There's an entire generation that has never seen an entertaining Eddie Murphy

Real talk yo, I thought Eddie Murphy was corny as ? till I saw "48 Hours" and "Coming to America". Even "The Nutty Professor" series isn't that great
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah that new joint look wack as hell.

He does have a few classics under his belt though..*shrugs*
  • darkrain
    darkrain Members Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Eddie Murphy damn fell off. I don't know what the ? happened to him or maybe that Hollywood ? his head up?
  • bootsy_jenkins
    bootsy_jenkins Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eddie became a ? . He doesn't give a ? anymore about anything but a paycheck. I loved the hell outta that dude but now he gets none of my money.
  • Dat1Dude7
    Dat1Dude7 Members Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    Options
    dude said he dont wanna do the raunchy movies no more. he want to do silly movies so he can be in things his kids can watch with him. i understand that.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He has let the entertainment industry control his career.
  • Craig Robinson
    Craig Robinson Members Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dat1Dude7 wrote: »
    dude said he dont wanna do the raunchy movies no more. he want to do silly movies so he can be in things his kids can watch with him. i understand that.

Are his kids not grown by now?
  • angrymaninc
    angrymaninc Members Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Eddie became a ? . He doesn't give a ? anymore about anything but a paycheck. I loved the hell outta that dude but now he gets none of my money.

Pretty much... from what i can understand Eddie Murphy is an ? ... But what's even more messed up is even though we don't cosign his movies this dude stays getting paid... If i'm not mistaken in 2009 he was 2nd only to will smith to the list of most paid blk actors so...
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the last funny movie I think of from him was when he played that boxer Kelly Robinson with that Wilson dude. Id love to see the coming to american or Beverly Hills Cop Eddie but thats gone. I cherish those films through nostalgia tho.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Nah, he changed his game up when it was speculated that he was messing with trannys. He was doing all that raunchy stuff, cussin', all the ? and ? jokes up until he got caught picking up a ? . There was a running joke that even Nicole Murphy was once a man, since Eddie seemed to like individuals with big feet. No one ever saw Nicole Murphy pregnant when she supposedly gave birth to his 5 kids.

Then he disappeared for a while, came back doing nothing but kiddie and corny movies to win over a different generation of fans that probably knew nothing of him. Basically, he alienated himself from the folks (black fans) who made him, and went cooning to the white folks.
  • sTaY_TrUe
    sTaY_TrUe Members Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The man has done it all. Im not concerned with his quality of movies anymore. I know he capable of playing a good role anytime one becomes available. In the meantime if he wants to make kiddie flicks for easy $$$, why not. He getting paid regardless.
  • sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It is kind of sad... seems like Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, and to a lesser extent Katt Williams took his stand-up "edge" and ran with it...

He did have a couple scenes in "Tower Heist" that made me snicker but really it just reminded me of when Eddie was GOAT...
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? trannys will do that to you. ? your ? all up.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    somebody say martin lawrence?
  • MAKAVELI25
    Options
    sniperk wrote: »
    It is kind of sad... seems like Chris Rock, Dave Chapelle, and to a lesser extent Katt Williams took his stand-up "edge" and ran with it...

He did have a couple scenes in "Tower Heist" that made me snicker but really it just reminded me of when Eddie was GOAT...

I see what you're getting at, but please try not to put Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle in the same category as Katt Williams again.

• sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ... and hence my use of "to a lesser extent" for Katt Williams

Don't act like before he went all "cracky", Katt wasn't tearing up the standup scene...

• MAKAVELI25
    edited March 2012
    Options
    sniperk wrote: »
    ... and hence my use of "to a lesser extent" for Katt Williams

Don't act like before he went all "cracky", Katt wasn't tearing up the standup scene...

No he wasn't. I understand if you think he's funny, but tearing up implies his material was innovative; Dude can't even be compared to the greats of today (Louis CK, Bill Burr etc.). Whats the difference between Katt and the majority of black "White people do this, Black people do this" comics?
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please don't. Chris Rock and Chapelle are g.o.a.t. Katt Williams is hit and miss.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ehhh i mean dude is 50 and a changed man what you expect..you cant hold him to the same expectations from his 20's 30's early 40's...i just watched tower heist the other day and it was a pretty damn good movie......i agree though a thousand words doesn't look like a good movie, he probably did it for the paycheck *shrugs*.....what top notch actor hasn't had multiple bad movies under there belt....
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    the last funny movie I think of from him was when he played that boxer Kelly Robinson with that Wilson dude. Id love to see the coming to american or Beverly Hills Cop Eddie but thats gone. I cherish those films through nostalgia tho.

that movie was alright....

that last good eddie murphy flick was "imagine that", that ? had a ? dying it'll be a lot more enjoyable if u got ya lil bro/sis/cousin or child/neise/nephew with u
    o and tower heist, which was a great flick...

norbit is a good flick
    vampire in brooklyn was a good ass film.

a thousand words look good, i like the idea, i'm tired of seeing the same bull ? ass movie over and over, the ? is wrong with u ? ???

? said nutty professor, and coming to america was wack, i'm done

• MAKAVELI25
    Options

that last good eddie murphy flick was "imagine that", that ? had a ? dying it'll be a lot more enjoyable if u got ya lil bro/sis/cousin or child/neise/nephew with u

norbit is a good flick

a thousand words look good, i like the idea, i'm tired of seeing the same bull ? ass movie over and over, the ? is wrong with u ? ???

'Tower Heist' is not a GREAT flick by any stretch of the imagination. And I stand by the fact that 'The Nutty Professor' series is not that funny, but who the hell said 'Coming to America' was wack?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The first nutty professor was funny the 2nd seemed forced.... Eddie had me dying laughing as Kelly Robinson. Vampire in Brooklyn is a classic "You Beast ? her you did it lol" He called ole gul the ? of Babylon ha ha
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    My all time Eddie Murphy movies are coming to america, harlem nights, distingushed gentelemen, and vampire in brooklyn.

but now it's like all his movies is some clown ? or a kid movie. can't rock with the new ? .
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »

norbit is a good flick

'Tower Heist' is not a GREAT flick by any stretch of the imagination. And I stand by the fact that 'The Nutty Professor' series is not that funny, but who the hell said 'Coming to America' was wack?

tower heist is an excellent film, well written from beginning to end...well executed it had un-forceful humor & suspense , great plot, i dig the ending.

best comedy i've seen in years.