DA BASSMENT Crew aka SWING MOB (The Genius of Devante Swing) Appreciation Thread

Options
waterproof
waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in R&B & Alternatives
The Ki-C and JoJo thread have me drifting down memory lane to one of my favorite Hip-hop Soul/Soul/R&B/New Jack Swing groups of all times JODECI and the sad story of not only the group Jodeci but one of the unsung genius mind in music Devante Swing who wrote and produced (Dalvin helped write some of those songs but mostly it was all Devante) Jodeci albums.

Devante Swing went on to influence the sound of R&B and began to creat one of the most talented Crew in R&B/Hip-hop histroy of Writers/Producers/Emcee's know as DA BASSMENT Crew aka Swing Mobb.

Only if is what we can say but thanks to the internet there's some songs that linked and interviews from the Past members. I will post some interviews and songs from this collective and discuss on this sad story.

THIS CREW WAS WAY AHEAD OF THEIR TIME

SWING MOB aka Da Bassment Crew Members

Donald DeGrate (aka DeVante Swing/Boss Playa)
Dalvin DeGrate (aka Mr. Dalvin)
Timothy Mosley (aka Timbaland)
Melvin Barcliff (aka Magoo/Maganoo)
Melissa Elliott (aka Missy/Misdemeanor)
Elgin Lumpkin (aka Ginuwine)
Radiah Scott
Chonita Coleman
LeShawn Shellman
Charlene Keys (aka Tweet)
Susan Weems (aka Susie/Sue)
Rolita White
Jawann Peacock (aka Smokey/Smoke E. Digglera)
Benjamin Bush (aka Black/Digital Black)
Stephen Garrett (aka Static/Major/Stacks)
Renee Anderson (aka Renee)
Bazaar Royale (aka Da Boogie Man/Boogie)
Virginia Williams (aka Virginia/VA)
Dante Hawkins
Charles Wiley (aka C-Dub)
Mr. Brendal
Accion
Reboc
Darryl Pearson
Steven Jordan (aka Stevie J)
Chad Elliott (aka Dr. Seuss)
Shannon Miller (aka Big Shann) (Vice President)
Robert Reives (aka Robb/RR)
D. Brooks (?)
Da Deuce
Special “K” Tay
Big Mel
Reggie De’vell Moore
SMK

Comments

• waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    SWING MOB/BASSMENT CREW female group Sugah
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbuky6xB9gk
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    SWING MOB/DA BASSMENT article from a Blog

DA BASSMENT Crew (aka Swing Mob): The Rise, Fall & Rise Of One Of The Baddest ? Crews In Modern Music History + the recently unearthed 77min cassette demo tape YOU.MUST.HEAR

let’s take it back to the early/mid-90s for a second and lemme sum up what i’m about to offer up to you, anonymous tastemakers and music-lovers of the Internet:

Jodeci were blowing the ? up off the strength of their now-classic debut album Forever My Lady in the early 90s (of which all the slow songs were written by mastermind DeVante Swing about a girl he was dating at the time who left & joined the army. random, right?). and amidst all the adulation came some form of power for Mr. Donald “DeVante” DeGrate, who then embarked on an ambitious project that was reminiscent of a bygone era in music. while on tour with Jodeci, he would routinely hear auditions from local groups. after carefully selecting which ones he thought showed real promise and real talent, he amassed them into a collective known as Da Bassment crew (aka Swing Mob) sometime around 1992, tho some people say the ball could’ve got started rolling even before that. this is a large pool of talent that included future legends like Timbaland, Missy Elliott, Tweet, Magoo, Ginuwine, Playa, Static/Major and quite a bit of input from DeVante and Dalvin as well. originally known as the 45.4 Q Clique, and then Swing Mob, the name Da Bassment eventually stuck due to the recording complex that all the artists either lived in or next to (this would be Dajhelon Studios in which the group primarily used the basement studios for their work).

however, the clique imploded sometime after The Show, The Afterparty, The Hotel (an album which had credited and uncredited contributions from various Bassment members, as did Diary Of A Mad Band, this group-mentality of creation being the status quo). while the majority of the goings on and the real reasons for the epic split of this epic crew remained a source of constant wonder and curiosity for nearly two decades (and a certain amount of sadness that it wasn’t fully realised), in the last few years we’ve seen ex-members like Susan Weems (of the group Sugah, of which Tweet and Rolita White were also a part) and emcee, Accion, give lengthy interviews about their experiences in Da Bassment. the former VP of the label, Shannon “Big Shann” Miller also recently recounted the experience with an interview via Skype that’s up on YouTube

From the Bassment Demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AALKbpmBjsU
  • waterproof
    Options
    sugah.jpgdabassment.jpg

but above all else is this following important information: in 2010 the owner of the Static Major Is Music Blog anonymously recieved a package in the mail after posting a few Bassment-related things. turns out the tape, unmarked and unlabeled, is a full tape of snippets of songs produced and made in Da Bassment, by Da Bassment. since it’s in snippet form, i can only assume it was originally designed to be a mixtape or promo tape of sorts. only a few full-length songs are featured. oh yeah, let me say it again just in case i understated it: UNRELEASED, UNEARTHED TUNES BY YOUR FAVOURITE BASSMENT ARTISTS. this is stuff i, or the collective “we”, thought we’d NEVER EVER end up hearing. when i randomly discovered it in a lazy Google search over a month ago, i almost freaked out. it had become such an unreachable treasure that i didn’t bother to think about it anymore, but here it is y’all: 77MINS OF IT. lol. a sneak peek into the collective creative braintrust known as Da Bassment. and what i hear only confirms my long-held position that, were the ‘experiment’ to work out and the group not disbanded, they would be household names and changed the entire face of modern r&b and hip hop music (as a COLLECTIVE and on their own terms, which is what DeVante was ultimately working towards).

ginuwinebazaarroyaleandmrbrendal.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dailNe3GJEU&feature=related

INSANELY, this gem has somehow managed to remain SO under the radar (even Internet’s radar) that i, a confirmed Bassment zealot, didn’t know of its existence til a YEAR after it hit the net. which is some shameful ? (to me). so i have taken it upon myself to help spread the good vibes like i did with the Jack Herrera post. i want this blog post to become the vocal focal point for some Bassment love. come share your adulation for this still-unheralded clique, read up on the day-to-day happenings of the group via eye-witness accounts of ex-members, and how it ultimately all went sour. but like i said, most importantly: DOWNLOAD THE MIXTAPE. listen to all the early weed-soaked creative nuggets that led to mega-stardom and music icons.

playasista.jpg
  • waterproof
    Options
    From the Bassment Demo tape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdb2RKAKtfQ&feature=related

FYI: these are tunes that have been directly ripped from a rough cassette tape copy as just “Side 1″ and “Side 2″ (respectively by Static Major Is Music), i’ve spent a good month chopping em up and figuring out track names, and especially the artists involved in each tack. since some of the members were completely new to me, it took a while to get acclimated to their voice in order to suss out who is who. but i think you’ll find this to be the most complete (and probaly ONLY) functioning tracklist.

FYI (II): i’m designing this post to be sort of a central hub for any and all information regarding the history of Da Bassment throughout its entire run. that includes interviews with former members, rare pics and video glimpses into their world, an attempt at a complete list of Bassment members, unconfirmed rumours (some so crazy they might be true), and of course the songs themselves (incuding all the released material the group were involved with).

we begin the audio assault with THE demo tape that no one seems to know ANYthing about lol. typical Bassment style, even when we get to hear the MUSIC, we’re still left in the dark about the finer details. nevertheless, it’s die-hard fans/music nerds like me that desire to put the pieces together. here we go, courtesy of the afore-mentioned Static Major Is Music blog (wanna make sure they/Buddha get the much-deserved shout-outs on this page cos they broke the news/provided links in the first place).
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    cover-final-with-efx.jpg

DA BASSMENT DEMO TAPE

tracklist:

01. Timbaland – Da Funk (1:32)
    02. Sista – Sweat You Down (Alternate Version) (feat. ? Mack) (1:19)
    03. Virginia – Slow Drag (3:41)
    04. Sista – U Better Be Ready (2:02)
    05. Ginuwine – Come Inside (2:03)
    06. Ginuwine – I’m Going To Fall In Love (2:23)
    07. Sugah – Fly Guy (1:18)
    08. Timbaland & Magoo – Plenty Of Styles (feat. Missy Elliott) (3:34)
    09. Dante Hawkins – My Parents Are Gone (? . DeVanté Swing & E-Bass) (3:50)
    10. Da Boogie Man – Interlude (1:00)
    11. Sugah – Sugah Thang (feat. Playa, Accion, Mr. Brendal, Timbaland & Reboc) (1:42)
    12. Da Bassment – Ain’t Nuthin’ But A B-Party (4:07)
    13. Jodeci – Get Back (6:03)
    14. Ginuwine – Let’s Stop Effin’ Around (1:48)
    15. Sugah – Expired (2:41)
    16. Sista – Find My Love (Alternate Version) (0:58)
    17. Playa – Come On, Girl (2:15)
    18. Sista – Brand New (Mr. Dalvin’s Ferrari Mix) (Extra Raps) (feat. Mr. Dalvin & Static) (1:11)
    19. Timbaland – Makes You Say (1:26)
    20. Timbaland – We Can Do This (1:08)
    21. Da Bassment – Ain’t Nuthin’ But A B-Party (Alternate Mix) (1:02)
    22. Timbaland – Get Down (feat. Playa) (1:07)
    23. Static – S-T-A-T-I-C (1:34)
    24. Reboc – Untitled (feat. Timbaland) (0:56)
    25. Timbaland – Peepin’ My Style (feat. Static & Missy Elliott) (2:37)
    26. Timbaland – Do You Wanna (feat. Accion) (3:09)
    27. Sugah – Sugah Sensation (feat. Timbaland) (1:44)
    28. Sugah – Goin’ Down (feat. Timbaland) (2:11)
    29. Virginia – Get Down (feat. Timbaland & Missy Elliott) (3:23)
    30. Virginia – Let Me In Your Life (feat. Missy Elliott) (3:28)
    31. Unknown – Baby I Know (0:54)
    32. Missy Elliott – Red Lights (feat. Timbaland) (1:12)
    33. Sugah – Smokin’ In The Dark (1:23)
    34. Sugah – Smokin’ In The Dark (Alternate Mix) (0:34)
    35. Mr. Dalvin (?) – Set It Off (4:12)
    36. Sugah – Sugar & Spice (1:51)

runtime = 77:18.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5yyrayb18pipp9o

as u might tell, it’s not yet a COMPLETE tracklist. so if anyone’s got info on tracks 31 & 35 please let me know
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emeilbi7iX0&feature=related

SWING MOB bio from WIKI
    Swing Mob consisted of members of the various collectives and/or record labels associated with Missy Elliott and Timbaland. Elliott with the group Sista, Timbaland, Magoo, Ginuwine, Playa, Darryl Pearson, Tweet with the group Sugah, Majik, Jimmy Douglass Stevie J., Maija Max, Bazaar Royale and Chad "Dr. Seuss" Elliot got their start as members of DeVante Swing's Swing Mob record label/collective.

Swing Mob folded in 1995, with a variety of reasons being attributed. According to Smoke E Digglera of Playa, the artists were forced to choose whether they wanted to be signed directly to Def Jam or through Swing Mob, causing a question of loyalty to arise amongst members. After Swing Mob folded, the artists continued to collaborate and brought new members in, such as Aaliyah, Skillz and Nicole Wray later on.

The post-Swing Mob collective was informally called Da Bassment during the late-1990s. Elliott runs an Elektra Records-distributed label called Goldmind Records, and in 2000 Timbaland started an Interscope Records distributed label called Beat Club Records which has since folded. Timbaland started a new Interscope Records distributed label now called Mosley Music Group
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Yo mayne these are some gems right here (In Ki-C voice) DEVANTE SWAAANG and the Bassment Crew is way ahead of their time and if you was a teen in the 90's this is appreciated and sad at the same time, we missed out on what could of been an industry take over.

Bassment members Devante Swing and Darryl Pearson produced and wrote Part Time lover by H-Town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLYN-F2Oek
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    DA BASSMENT DEMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEGH-6-a1Y8&feature=related

and just to further add to this barrage of Bassment-related audio yumminess, i’ve compiled my own personal mix of more Bassment materials which includes: unreleased stuff, soundtrack cuts & work done for other artists (as you will see, many of the members of the crew participated on the production and writing tip for other artists). it’s slightly riskier for me to post these songs as some of them include some big-name artists that might wanna lay the smackdown on me and this blog, but it’s all for the love. if anyone DOES object to their tunes being present here in this particular mix, please give me a yell first. otherwise, please to be enjoying even more of my favourite Bassment-related goodies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCQV-D-DkoA

(and a further note, i’ve tried to include only tracks that feature two or more Bassment members on the track, and also the songs which i think best exemplify Da Bassment sound. i’ve also tried to track down as many deets/credits regarding who did what on each track as possible, but even i can be wrong time to time so if y’all have any corrections to make, please don’t hesitate to tell me off).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT5krxCiFDA&feature=related
  • it's me bi***es
    it's me bi***es Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Options
    C/S! I HEARD ABOUT THIS ? I WHILE BACK ON THE MISSY " BEHIND THE MUSIC" EPISODE, DEVONTE SURE AS HELL HAD AN EAR FOR MUSIC BUT ALSO CAN SPOT TALENT WHEN NOBODY IN THE INDUSTRY WOULD EVEN CONSIDER SIGNING MOST OF THEM ARTIST. SO BIG UPS TO DEVANTE FOR BRINGIN SOME OF THE GREATS TO LIGHT...
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    C/S! I HEARD ABOUT THIS ? I WHILE BACK ON THE MISSY " BEHIND THE MUSIC" EPISODE, DEVONTE SURE AS HELL HAD AN EAR FOR MUSIC BUT ALSO CAN SPOT TALENT WHEN NOBODY IN THE INDUSTRY WOULD EVEN CONSIDER SIGNING MOST OF THEM ARTIST. SO BIG UPS TO DEVANTE FOR BRINGIN SOME OF THE GREATS TO LIGHT...

WORD UP mayne, now listening to the mixtape and and his crew they was a force to be reckon with, look how many people are fans of devante swing and his swingmob crew. Missy, Timbaland, Playa, Ginuwine, Sista, Static Major, Tweet, Sugah, Magoo, Skillz and the tracks you can see where they was going to take music to
  • it's me bi***es
    it's me bi***es Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Options
    YEA IM CHECKING OUT THE MIXTAPE ALSO, THEY STILL PUT THEY STAMP ON HIP HOP N R&B BUT DEVONTE NEVER GETS CREDIT FOR IT. AND WASNT ALLIYAH DOWN WITH DA BASSMENT? BOY I TELL YA THEY DONT MAKE MUSIC LIKE THEY USED TO....
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    YEA IM CHECKING OUT THE MIXTAPE ALSO, THEY STILL PUT THEY STAMP ON HIP HOP N R&B BUT DEVONTE NEVER GETS CREDIT FOR IT. AND WASNT ALLIYAH DOWN WITH DA BASSMENT? BOY I TELL YA THEY DONT MAKE MUSIC LIKE THEY USED TO....

@itsmebi***es this ? makes me want to slap the ? out of timbaland, and i want to slap the buff version of timbaland to let you know i aint a punk..lol. Yeah Devante do not get enough credit for grooming the talent that came out of his camp, the early to mid 90's devante changed the game then with his bassment crew/swing mob he found future legends that changed the game from the mid-late 90's to the mid 00's and he is the father of thier sound. Aaliyah was around but she was very young like in her early teens but she was around, the time Timbaland got the ears and mind of the crew and left devante when he was going through ? with suge knight then he brought aaliyah to the fold. but Static Major stayed with Devante and wasnt a snake like timb even though static wrote songs for ginuwine and aaliyah.

and Ginuwine bassment album that was produced by Devante and Darryl Pearson is way better than the bachelor.
  • waterproof
    Options
    Ginuwine's original Swing Mob/Bassment album tracklist

Ginuwine - Untitled CD
    1996 Da Bassment/EMI Publishing
    Executive Producer: DeVante Swing.

01. Lady (? . Darryl Pearson)
    02. Pony (Original)
    03. Yeah Come On (? . Darryl Pearson)
    04. I Want You (? . DeVante) http://youtu.be/NsjZ9i658V8.
    05. Rock (? . Darryl Pearson)
    06. Feel It (? . Darryl Pearson)
    07. Love U Down (Original) (? . DeVante) (feat. Playa/DeVante/Suga/Misdemeanor/Da Boogieman)
    08. Come On Baby (? . Darryl Pearson)
    09. Soaking Wet (? . Darryl Pearson)
    10. Straight Like That (? . Darryl Pearson)
    11. One Reason Why (? . Darryl Pearson)
    12. Come Inside (? . Darryl Pearson) http://youtu.be/hUUH3QRki2U.
    13. I'm Going To Fall In Love (? . Darryl Pearson) http://youtu.be/8rPKdwGCcrA.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

@itsmebi***es this ? makes me want to slap the ? out of timbaland, and i want to slap the buff version of timbaland to let you know i aint a punk..lol. Yeah Devante do not get enough credit for grooming the talent that came out of his camp, the early to mid 90's devante changed the game then with his bassment crew/swing mob he found future legends that changed the game from the mid-late 90's to the mid 00's and he is the father of thier sound. Aaliyah was around but she was very young like in her early teens but she was around, the time Timbaland got the ears and mind of the crew and left devante when he was going through ? with suge knight then he brought aaliyah to the fold. but Static Major stayed with Devante and wasnt a snake like timb even though static wrote songs for ginuwine and aaliyah.

and Ginuwine bassment album that was produced by Devante and Darryl Pearson is way better than the bachelor

its one song off ginuwines bassment album I've heard and i like it call I want you. I would upload it but i dont know how to do that on the new format
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    DARRYL PEARSON DISCOOGRAPHY from DISCOGS

SWING MOB/DA BASSMENT crew had a crew of songwriters, singers, and producers that was ahead of their time. Here's one of the producers who is know in the industry that wrote and produced, played instruments on Jodeci albums, H-Town, Sista, Mary J Blige and Dru Hill. As you can see he produced the majority of Ginuwine shelved bassment album.

Darryl Pearson

Profile:

Darryl Pearson is an American guitarist, record producer, and songwriter.

Originally a part of DeVante Swing's Swing Mob collective, Pearson has worked with artists such as Missy Elliott and Timbaland, and has produced songs for acts such as Mya ("It's All About Me" and "Moving On", both co-written by Sisqó of Dru Hill) and Total.

Vocals on

April
    (CD, Promo)
    Universal Records, Bystorm Entertainment 1996

Timbaland Featuring Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott* & Magoo - Here We Come
    Blackground Entertainment 1998

Here We Come
    Timbaland - Tim's Bio: From The Motion Picture - Life From Da Bassment
    Blackground Entertainment 1998

Here We Come
    Timbaland And Magoo* - Present 2005

Instruments & Performance
    I Don't Want To Do Anything

Mary J. Blige - What's The 411?
    Uptown Records 1992

Diary Of A Mad Band
    MCA Records 1993

Can U Get Wit It
    LaFace Records 1994

Secret Admirer
    Sista (2) - 4 All The Sistas Around Da World
    Elektra, Elektra 1994

My Life
    Mary J. blige
    MCA Records 1994

April
    (CD, Promo)
    Universal Records, Bystorm Entertainment 1996

You Don't Know
    Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott* - Da Real World 1999

Light My Fire (as Darryl and 2 more…

Melky Sedeck - Sister & Brother
    MCA Records 1999

K-Ci & JoJo - It's Real
    MCA Records 1999

Dru World Order
    Def Soul 2002

Missy Elliott - 3 For One : Miss E ...So Addictive / Da Real World / Supa Dupa Fly (3xCD, Album, Enh + Box, Comp) 2003

Sexy Ladies - Let Me Talk To You (Prelude) and 2 more…

Justin Timberlake - Futuresex/Lovesounds) 2009

Dance 2night (as Darrell Pearson)

Madonna - Hard Candy
    Warner Bros. Records, Warner Bros. Records 2008

Missy Elliott - Da Real World / Supa Dupa Fly (2xCD, Comp

• waterproof
    Options
    Another Swing Mobb produced classic off of the classic Death Row Soundtrack Abover The Rim Soundtrack, this song is Produced by Swing Mob's Devante Swing and Timbland,

Blowed Away - B Rezell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znyunHoTfOI
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    cover.jpg
    Mista Vee Presents…Swing Mobbin’: Sounds From Da Bassment

tracklist:

01. DeVante – P.I.B 4Play
    produced by DeVante Swing.

02. Danny Boy – Slip N’ Slide
    produced by DeVante Swing & Reggie De’vell Moore.
    additional vocals by DeVante Swing & Ginuwine.

03. Aaron Hall – Curiosity (Misdemeanor)
    produced by Mr. Dalvin.
    written by Aaron Hall, Missy Elliott & Mr. Dalvin.
    additional vocals by Missy Elliott.

04. DeVante – Gin & Juice (Remix)
    produced by DeVante Swing & Timbaland.
    additional vocals by Da Boogie Man, Mr. Brendal, Magoo, Timbaland, Accion, Static & C-Dub.

05. Al Green – Could This Be The Love
    additional vocals by DeVante Swing, Playa & Renee Anderson.

06. Mr. Dalvin & Static – True O.G.
    produced by Mr. Dalvin & Timbaland.

07. Jodeci – Can We Flo?
    written, produced and arranged by DeVante Swing.
    background vocals by Playa.

08. Jodeci – Zipper

09. DeVante – Gin & Juice
    produced, written & arranged by DeVante Swing.
    additional vocals by Static.

10. B Rezell – Blowed Away
    additional vocals by DeVante Swing.

11. Jodeci – Room 454: DeVante’s “Inhermission”

12. Da Bassment – Love You Down
    vocal arrangements by Playa.
    additional vocals by LB, Sugah & DeVante Swing.

13. Jodeci – What About Us (Swing Mob)
    additional vocals by Magoo.

14. Ginuwine – I Want You

15. Tony Thompson – Slave
    produced by DeVante Swing & Darryl Pearson.
    music by DeVante Swing, Darryl Pearson & Missy Elliott.
    all instruments by DeVante Swing & Darryl Pearson.
    background vocals by Static, Smokey, Darryl Pearson, Missy Elliott & DeVante Swing.
    mixed by Prince Charles Alexander.

16. Jodeci – Sweaty
    additional vocals by Missy Elliott.
    scratches by Timbaland.

17. Sista – Find My Love
    additional keys by DeVante Swing.
    written by Missy Elliott.

18. Renee Anderson – Gonna Be Your Night

19. Usher – Can U Get Wit It
    instruments by DeVante Swing & Timbaland.
    guitar by Darryl Pearson.
    mixed by Prince Charles Alexander.

20. H-Town – Part Time Lover
    produced by DeVante Swing & Darryl Pearson.

runtime = 78:10.

http://www.mediafire.com/?axmdxyizmccc1ns

mix is also available for streaming only via http://www.mixcloud.com/player/
  • 704Hustla
    704Hustla Members Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    Options
    nice thread and good lookin out on that mixtape..? like this is why my i have a portable hard drive..you dont really hear too much about the swing mob and devante swing but his huge in the early to mid 90's

and just for discussion..is it fair to say devante swing should be credited as the founder of hip hop soul cause before jodeci r&b was following still following teddy riley and the whole new jack swing which their main thing was uptempo dance hits and dressing like preps..when jodeci came out in 1991 they flipped the script..their hit records were slow jams..slow tempo songs..and was the first r&b cats to wear the harder edge hip hop style which back then was white sox ballcaps,gold hoop earings,those black shades,baggy clothes,black boots..all that..and this is where public announcement,silk,h-town,dru hill,112,jagged edge and the rest of them groups got their swagger from they..in fact you could say the female groups also like swv,etc also..they all came out in 92,93 and so forth..but for some reason it all goes to mary j blige and puffy daddy when they came out a year after in 92 when it was pretty much the style
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    704Hustla wrote: »
    nice thread and good lookin out on that mixtape..? like this is why my i have a portable hard drive..you dont really hear too much about the swing mob and devante swing but his huge in the early to mid 90's

and just for discussion..is it fair to say devante swing should be credited as the founder of hip hop soul cause before jodeci r&b was following still following teddy riley and the whole new jack swing which their main thing was uptempo dance hits and dressing like preps..when jodeci came out in 1991 they flipped the script..their hit records were slow jams..slow tempo songs..and was the first r&b cats to wear the harder edge hip hop style which back then was white sox ballcaps,gold hoop earings,those black shades,baggy clothes,black boots..all that..and this is where public announcement,silk,h-town,dru hill,112,jagged edge and the rest of them groups got their swagger from they..in fact you could say the female groups also like swv,etc also..they all came out in 92,93 and so forth..but for some reason it all goes to mary j blige and puffy daddy when they came out a year after in 92 when it was pretty much the style

Thanks and enjoy the mixtape's, Devante took what Teddy Riley taught him to the next level and even though Bell Biv Devoe was the first have that hip-hop appeal and attitude with r&b it was jodeci that had the hip-hop attitude and brought the soul to the game and brought soul music back to the black youth aka hip-hop heads because they was sangin in our language, like when youngsters used to doo-woop on the corners in ciphers in the late 50's and early 60's. JODECI is hip-hop soul they looked like and dress like us.

and SWV had the brothers and sisters in the hood they was the first even though SWV and Mary came out in 92 then it was sistah, TLC, Xscape ect...

• waterproof
    Options
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    "Renee Anderson's unreleased Bassment album tracklist:"

Renee Anderson (MCA): Untitled
    Executive Producer: DeVante Swing
    1997 Da Bassment/EMI Publishing.

01. Maybe (? . Darryl Pearson)
    02. Aw Yeah (? . Regi Moore)
    03. Don't Be Afraid (? . Regi Moore)
    04. Everytime (feat. Static)
    05. Gonna Be Your Night (feat. Devante Swing) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVIxnFJcdQs
    06. Makin Love (? . Darryl Pearson)
    07. Bad By Myself (? . Regi Moore
    08. Do It Up (? . Regi Moore)
    09. Me 4 U (feat. Timbaland)
    10. Wind (? . E-Bass & Rome) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZL3mWRikQ
    11. One Of A Kind (feat. Static)
    12. Its Alright (? . Regi Moore)
    13. Don't Be Gone (feat. Static)
    14. Throw Ya Hands Up (feat. Timbaland)
    15. My Guy (? . Regi Moore)
    16. Greater Love (? . Regi Moore)
    17. Have Your Way (? . Regi Moore)
    18. Romeo (? . Regi Moore)
    19. Time Or Chance (? . Regi Moore)
    20. Crying (? . Regi Moore)

and also "Things That You Say" (? . Elijah K.J. Harris & Courtney Horton)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeGHyYSKFXE

• harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, Devante was that dude back in the day. What the hell happened to him? Even Teddy Riley is still around doing ? .
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    CONTINUING FROM BLOG ABOUT THE DA BASSMENT

***UPDATED JAN 2ND 2012***
    did i mention i’m finding new old ? all the damn time now? just seems to be popping up all over the frign place (no complaints here lol, jussayin). so last night while i was messin around on YouTube (which is something i like to do each night before i sleep), i come across another Bassment joint (presumably from the demo tape as well) called “Another Level”. Timbo‘s and Static‘s verses are the same ones later re-used on “Smoke In Da Air”, and the chorus was re-used by Timbo maaaaany years later on his track “Hello” (feat. Keri Hilson). cool to know Tim didn’t mind reachin back to his Bassment days for his current ? (now if only the music could reflect that too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyXuoJaTcIE

lol @ that intro. Reboc is gangsta as fock. Static gamblin. DeVante being DeVante with his breathy-spoken ass lol. and once again, Static rippin his verse. and i need to add this cos it’s important: STOP SLEEPIN ON MAGANOO. from what little we’ve heard of him from Da Bassment days, he’s just as dope as anyone else in the collective. there’s a reason he was there, folks. Magoo got rhymes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVCANtiXQdA

we now come to the interviews section of this weird and wonderful ride known as Da Bassment. it seems that 2009 was the year that got the ball rolling in terms of solid in-depth information coming out about the entire experience. i’ve tried my best to scour the Internetz for as many as i can find, hopefully it’ll give y’all a clearer picture of how it all went down. i think what’s led to constant confusion over the facts is that back in the 90s we would hear mostly negative things from the camp post-Bassment. and of course, the vicious and never-ending rumour-mill (which i also participated in back in the day, purely out of frustration of not knowing what.the.? .went.wrong). Sue Weems & Accion probably give the most in-depth peeks into the Bassment universe, but the short video chat with Bazaar Royale (aka Da Boogie Man/Boogie) seems to be the most honest one (that is, not tipping in an anti-DeVante or anti-Bassment direction but also not over-praising as there was some serious ? going on with De back then which also caused rifts).

anyway, i could waffle on, but these cats tell it much better than i ever could. cos they were, yknow, THERE
  • waterproof
    edited March 2012
    Options
    R.I.P. to STATIC MAJOR gone to soon. He was a talented songwriter and was one of the most talented person in DA BASSMENT he was Devante righthand man and a member of PLAYA.

this is my favorite Static Major song right here a CLASSIC SONG this stays on repeat for days http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOTEpCi4FMA

Static Interview for murderdog.com 2004

Static

Louisville, KY

By Matt Sonzala

How did you start writing songs for other artists?

I left Louisville in 1992 and I got thrown into the Jodeci camp and that was back when he had Timbland, Missy, Ginuine, Tweete and we all was starvin, workin. Then we all branched out to our own separate ways. And I was blessed to write a lot of hits. Im in a group called Playa. We put out an album in 1998. The three of us, all from Louisville. Now Im getting ready to release my solo album.

Did you get all this opportunity from just being around those folks?

Actually the Aliyah situation came through my management. They the owners of Blackground Records and thats the label that Aliyah was on, not to mention thats her uncle. So they manage me and they managed Timbaland and Ginuwine at the time. That was the camp. I just was showing up with the right records. Me and Aliyah had a hell of a chemistry. She really trusted my sound and where I was going with it.

Did you work close with her? Did she have a lot to say about how she wanted the songs to be?

Me and baby girl used to stay in the studio till 4 or 5 in the morning every night. We even worked on her album in Australia when she was over there working on Queen of the Damned. We was over in Australia for like 2 months.

How old was she when you first worked with her?

When I first started working with her she was like 18 or 19. If you dont remember, she was on Playas album. I did a duet with her on Playas album, so we had been working with baby girl for a good 5-6 years strong, before the tragedy.

What did you do with David Banner?

We got a young producer named Sears. He produced the majority of Lil Flips first album. Hes from Louisville and my man Neezy manages him, Swat Music. Sears and Banner got a relationship through Flip, and Sears got a relationship with Lil Jon and a lot of the guys down in the Atlanta. I happened to be in Atlanta, working on Sunshine Anderson and David Banner fell through. Sears laid a track and I put down the hook for him. Banner had already said he wanted to do a joint with me. It just came together like that in the studio. One night in the studio, we didnt put it together until like 4:30 in the morning. And it wound up being Banners first single, "Crank it Up."

What you do is probably more lucrative then just becoming a rapper or a singer right?

You gotta think the songwriting and the publishing, every time the songs gets played on TV, whether they just using the music in the background of MTV or BET or sometimes they use it in movies, or for a soundtrack or compilation. Its like the publishing game is money coming at all times when you put out quality music, cause people keep recycling it.

As the songwriter of these Aliyah hits you collect checks every quarter? And for the big hits the checks may never end.

Right cause they still playing em overseas. And like "Romeo Must Die", they still play it on HBO and Showtime and sometimes you might hear the music behind somebody on MTV. Ill tell you another big song I wrote was that "So Addictive" from Truth Hurts.

Whats your album all about?

My album is called Suppertime on the Fede Side. And its about its time for me to eat. Even though Ive been eating, but I put my artistry on the back burner to really focus on the songwriting and producing side of the game. But now Im all the way focused. Playa is still together but we gonna do solo projects. Suppertime, its time to eat. Im coming after R. Kelly and Usher. Im coming to take R. Kellys throne. And my resume already speaks for itself, the worlds been hearing my sound since "Pony." And a lot of those songs, my voice is still in em a whole lot. So its a variation of all different things. Im a real innovative writer. Id like to think I changed the game a whole lot, even with "Pony." Id like to think I changed the way people wrote their songs. And a lot of my hits that I wrote changed the way people wrote music. So I put all of that energy into my album. The first single is called "Stallion" and Im getting ready to go to radio with it right now.

When did you first realize that "Pony" was going to be such a big song?

Devante Swing told me it was that big the day after I did it. He told me I was going to get songwriter of the year and I got an ASCAP award for it. I sat there and watched it climb the charts and when it went to ..1 it stayed there for 7-8 weeks. "So Anxious" stayed ..1 for 13 weeks. "Try Again" was like the first pop single to come out to go ..1 that wasnt a commercial single. I just try to stay serious about my music and my craft, the money will come.

Who will you release your album with?

Ive got some offers on the table and of course I can always put it out with Blackground but I expressed my feelings with them that we might need to take mine somewhere else in another system. We been talking to Jimmy Iovine, Lyor Cohen and we got a good relationship right now. We gonna take it to radio ourselves right now and create some synergy with it and use our relationships that we got and stir up some chaos on that end.

Sounds like youre looking for a label deal rather than an artist deal.

Right, cause we already got a situation, Swat Music, already through Blackground/Universal with my man Neezy.

Are you working with any artists from Louisville?

GoodFella from Victory Park. Coming out through Universal. Track Stars produced his first single. We going to radio right now with it. Universal says it sounds like the next Nelly. Thats gonna be the first thing we drop.

What part of Louisville are you from?

Im from the West End of Louisville, but then Im from all over Louisville. My mama was a single parent; I done lived in the West End, Barrytown, I done lived in all the boroughs in Louisville with the exception of a few.

When did you start singing?

I started singing when I was 3 in the church. I never would let anybody know that I sang because I felt that you was soft if you sang, so nobody in the streets knew I could sing. Only people who knew were people in my church.

When did you come out?

I guess it was about my senior year in High School, this girl talked me into getting into a talent show with her. Then shortly after that, Playa got together and went on to get us a deal with Def Jam. We really couldnt see eye to eye with Def Jam, they couldnt understand a true r&b group like us. We was like the essence of r&b, but we was ghetto. R&B to them meant suits and ties, but r&b to us was just our vocals. We came in with t-shirts and Dickies. But they tried to clean us up and clean up our whole sound so we wound up having to walk away from Def Jam.

Has there only been one Playa album?

Yeah, that was in 98. And the words still lingering right now.