Jay Electronica is the upgraded Killah Priest

Options

Comments

• AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Killah Priest is the better of the two. But I can see the KP influence on Jay E.
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They do have similarities but jay electronicas flow, beat selection, and thought processes as expressed in his rhymes are much different. As was stated in this thread, I see him closer to a more "commercial" mf doom than I do priest.
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay Electronica is a better MC, but Killah Priest has classics and the obviously superior body of work.
  • whoseworldisthis
    whoseworldisthis Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay Electronica also is influenced by GZA, MF Doom, and Kool Keith.

On different songs by Jay Elect, I have heard similar flows to all three of these legendary cats...
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The difference is mainly the flow

Jay has a dexterous and elastic flow.. His bars contain more simplified concrete imaginary even when he's talking about complex subjects.

Example:" I'm just a simple man,mastering my temple man,trying to expand,but when ? think you simple they'll try to play u out like u a simpleton you understand"

Those bars are simple complexity...jay raps in parables

Killah priests flow is more like spoken word. Sometimes he doesn't flow in the pocket of the beats. The voice is more husky and his bars are scattershot and poetic. KP goes a lil deeper with the bars.He talks about E.Ts,science,metaphysics,etc in the most complex way possible.. It's like a collage of imaginary that sometimes doesn't have centralized theme
  • whoseworldisthis
    whoseworldisthis Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EyeofAsaru wrote: »
    The difference is mainly the flow

Jay has a dexterous and elastic flow.. His bars contain more simplified concrete imaginary even when he's talking about complex subjects.

Example:" I'm just a simple man,mastering my temple man,trying to expand,but when ? think you simple they'll try to play u out like u a simpleton you understand"

Those bars are simple complexity...jay raps in parables

Killah priests flow is more like spoken word. Sometimes he doesn't flow in the pocket of the beats. The voice is more husky and his bars are scattershot and poetic. KP goes a lil deeper with the bars.He talks about E.Ts,science,metaphysics,etc in the most complex way possible.. It's like a collage of imaginary that sometimes doesn't have centralized theme

Well said.

Killah Priest can still rock a crowd too... saw him open for Ghostface a couple of years ago
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Heavy Mental was a snoozefest. there were about 5 Wu-tang offshoot groups when that album dropped (Killarmy, Cappadonna Sunz of Man, Gravediggaz) and they all sounded alike.

Having said that, at least Killah Priest released an official album. I remember hearing about Jay Electronica back in 2010. Maybe earlier.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What ? ? bumped this ? thread?
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D.Original wrote: »
    the fact that he gets a comparison to priest already bogus, then to add that people think he's better is the icing on the cake.lol

killah priests ? can get boring and the flow isnt always on point. i love KP but JayE is a better mc hands down.

KP worst album is better than Jay E's

Plus He got crazy flow. It's one song on HM he flip flows in the middle of the song. From deep dark flow to a light sounding flow. I forget the name of the song, but it's the song before his song with Deck and Gza.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kinda similar, yeah
    Upgraded version, hell nah
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,089
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Heavy Mental was a snoozefest. there were about 5 Wu-tang offshoot groups when that album dropped (Killarmy, Cappadonna Sunz of Man, Gravediggaz) and they all sounded alike.

Having said that, at least Killah Priest released an official album. I remember hearing about Jay Electronica back in 2010. Maybe earlier.

None of the groups you named sound anything alike. They all had different members, different producers, and drifferent themes behind their music. You not liking them is fine, but is it really necessary to make ridiculous statements?
  • THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    Options

None of the groups you named sound anything alike. They all had different members, different producers, and drifferent themes behind their music. You not liking them is fine, but is it really necessary to make ridiculous statements?

How old are you? Were you around back then? All those Wu Tang affiliate groups sounded alike to me. They may have had different members and different producers, but they all had the 5% overtones with underground (as opposed to commercial) production. I don't remember any of those groups having commercial and/or radio singles.

There's nothing ridiculous about that statement.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes he does remind me of Priest alot and MF Doom.I feel like Young Guru couldn't get Jay Z to sign MF Doom so he went with a more relatable version of Doom.

Guru was trying to get Jay Z to ? with MF Doom,but Jay didn't see the vision.

I can't blame Jay E's work ethic because he stays on the road performing.

It may not be on him why the album hasn't dropped.If it was all on him,I doubt he would still be signed.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

How old are you? Were you around back then? All those Wu Tang affiliate groups sounded alike to me. They may have had different members and different producers, but they all had the 5% overtones with underground (as opposed to commercial) production. I don't remember any of those groups having commercial and/or radio singles.

I'm 34 and yes I was around. Killarmy's was more military themed that showed up in the lyrics, beats, and concepts throughout the album. Gravediggaz was horrorcore mixed with 5% ? . Killarmy was produced mostly by 4th Disciple. Gravediggaz was produced mostly by Prince Paul and Rza. Here are examples from both groups.

Killarmy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmgM8h-L9S8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg3vh52bGJE

Gravediggaz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NReT4f1bXY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TiQ6QPWkPk

Neither group would be considered commerical rappers, but you can say that about a ton of different acts that sound nothing alike. If you like commerical rap more, fine. Again, I have no problem with you not liking these groups. But if you listen to those examples and think they sound just alike, I question how into Hip Hop you actually are. Because that's a statement I could see coming more from someone who doesn't actually listen to Hip Hop and thinks it's all the same.
  • EyeofAsaru
    Options
    Killarmy and gravediggaz were not hot lol

I wasn't feeling them
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To each his own. Both were dope to me.

Wu did have some subpar side acts, but neither of them fit that bill IMO.
  • EyeofAsaru
    Options
    Sunz of man on the other hand were ill AF

Plenty of classics under their belt
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    SoM were like my least favorite of the ones I actually thought were decent. I'd put KP, La the Darkman, Killarmy, and Gravediggaz above SoM.
  • power_wisdom
    Options
    Rza must up SOM big time. But Doom on RocNation that would have been interesting.
  • oatmealdude
    oatmealdude Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay E album is like that comet headed for earth they say its on its way but it moving slow and we wont see it in our lifetime unless he dies and they release it as post mortem record
  • 5 Grand
    Options

I'm 34 and yes I was around. Killarmy's was more military themed that showed up in the lyrics, beats, and concepts throughout the album. Gravediggaz was horrorcore mixed with 5% ? . Killarmy was produced mostly by 4th Disciple. Gravediggaz was produced mostly by Prince Paul and Rza. Here are examples from both groups.

Killarmy

Gravediggaz

Neither group would be considered commerical rappers, but you can say that about a ton of different acts that sound nothing alike. If you like commerical rap more, fine. Again, I have no problem with you not liking these groups. But if you listen to those examples and think they sound just alike, I question how into Hip Hop you actually are. Because that's a statement I could see coming more from someone who doesn't actually listen to Hip Hop and thinks it's all the same.

You posted some terrible examples of whatever you were trying to prove.

The first two Killarmy songs sound exactly like Wu Tang; dissonant, lyrical, political, quasi-religious but not quite as catchy as Wu Tang. Reminds me of GZA's first album. Not saying that GZA's first album was wack but after GZA already mastered that style what's the point?

I'm already familiar with the Gravediggaz songs you posted. In fact I have them on vinyl. I liked The Night The Earth Cried but you can't tell me that doesn't sound like a Wu Tang production.

In fact, you said,
    But if you listen to those examples and think they sound just alike, I question how into Hip Hop you actually are. Because that's a statement I could see coming more from someone who doesn't actually listen to Hip Hop and thinks it's all the same.

All of the Wu tang affiliate groups sounded alike; ALL OF THEM. You can't tell me they sounded like the stuff No Limit was putting out at the time. You can't tell me they sounded like Death Row. They didn't sound like Bad Boy either. They don't even sound like Boot Camp Click or DITC. And their production style doesn't sound like DJ Premiere.

In fact, I can remember that stage of hip Hop. Wu Tang had just dropped seven classics in a row (not including all of the songs they had on soundtracks which would probably make another album). Anyway, I remember getting a copy of the Wu Tang Forever album on vinyl. Its like 4 different records and it takes a lot of getting up and changing the record to listen to it all the way through. I felt like it was too long and made a tape of the songs I liked. Maybe someday I'll buy the CD and listen to the whole thing.

Anyway, I remember those years vividly. You can't tell me that Cappadonna, Killarmy, Killah Priest, and Sunz of Man don't sound alike. If that's you're opinion I have to question you and what kind of music you listen to.

BTW, the only one that sounded different was Bobby Digital. The first one that came out in 1998.
  • power_wisdom
    Options

Killarmy

Gravediggaz

You posted some terrible examples of whatever you were trying to prove.

The first two Killarmy songs sound exactly like Wu Tang; dissonant, lyrical, political, quasi-religious but not quite as catchy as Wu Tang. Reminds me of GZA's first album. Not saying that GZA's first album was wack but after GZA already mastered that style what's the point?

I'm already familiar with the Gravediggaz songs you posted. In fact I have them on vinyl. I liked The Night The Earth Cried but you can't tell me that doesn't sound like a Wu Tang production.

In fact, you said,
    But if you listen to those examples and think they sound just alike, I question how into Hip Hop you actually are. Because that's a statement I could see coming more from someone who doesn't actually listen to Hip Hop and thinks it's all the same.

All of the Wu tang affiliate groups sounded alike; ALL OF THEM. You can't tell me they sounded like the stuff No Limit was putting out at the time. You can't tell me they sounded like Death Row. They didn't sound like Bad Boy either. They don't even sound like Boot Camp Click or DITC. And their production style doesn't sound like DJ Premiere.

In fact, I can remember that stage of hip Hop. Wu Tang had just dropped seven classics in a row (not including all of the songs they had on soundtracks which would probably make another album). Anyway, I remember getting a copy of the Wu Tang Forever album on vinyl. Its like 4 different records and it takes a lot of getting up and changing the record to listen to it all the way through. I felt like it was too long and made a tape of the songs I liked. Maybe someday I'll buy the CD and listen to the whole thing.

Anyway, I remember those years vividly. You can't tell me that Cappadonna, Killarmy, Killah Priest, and Sunz of Man don't sound alike. If that's you're opinion I have to question you and what kind of music you listen to.

BTW, the only one that sounded different was Bobby Digital. The first one that came out in 1998.

What are you talking about? All those groups sound different and talk about different things. Capps, and Priest first albums can out at the same time and sound nothing alike. They might have share the same slang but every other click you name did too. And I don't understand your point of Wu-tang forever. It was one of the best double albums ever and you didn't listen to it cause you was to lazy to change records or to cheap to buy the cd?
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My man certainly has a point. The Wu affiliates definitely had a similar sound. In fact, they wouldn't have careers were they not so closely connected to the signature Wu-Tang sound. It's that dusty, soul-sample aesthetic that relied a lot on haunting keys and strings that drew people to them in the first place. The only thing in the same ballpark of that dark sound was Havoc, which is why it's no surprise Mobb Deep and Wu worked together so often and fluidly in the early to mid 90s.

You also get consistency in theme. Killarmy was on that military tip, but it was filtered through the same 5 percenter logic that the Wu popularized and the Sunz of Man deployed. It also, in some respects, just traded Kung fu robes for army fatigues. And it's not surprising to find similarities when most of the producers were in-house and worked on each other's projects. I mean 4th Disciple was essentially the principal producer behind both Sunz of Man and Killarmy.

Now, having said that, true Wu heads, which I can't myself among, still really appreciate the unique differences of these groups and what they all brought to the table in terms of forwarding the Wu sound. In particular, you can't find any Wu Tang or Wu affiliate album that has as much menacing atmosphere and suggestion of terror as Killarmy's Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars album. And Gravediggaz arguably gave rise to the whole horrorcore genre, at least on the East Coast (although early 3 6 Mafia is an important precursor as well). Sunz of Man is probably the only hip-hop act that has ever made me feel like I'm literally in touch with majestic and spiritual tomes of an ancient past. So while similar, they had important differences. They all represented unique interpretations and variations on a theme/aesthetic that was canonized by the Wu.