Aside from Eminem, why don't other white rappers sell good?

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in The Reason
Eminem is hip-hop's best selling artist of all time (sorry 2pac and Jay), and as a black man, I have no specific feelings about that. I would prefer 2pac be the all time best selling rapper (because 2pac is the greatest to ever do it, Jay-Z is second), but it's whatever at this point.....Eminem has done his thing, and that's that. Good for him.

With that being said, why don't other white rappers sell that good? Aside from The Beastie Boys, Vanilla Ice, and maybe House of Pain, white rappers going platinum is a rarity. Why is that?

So many of us say that Eminem sells only because he's white, but if that's so true, why don't other white rappers sell good for the most part???

Comments

• bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    if pac rapped till he was 40 like these other old heads instead of dying at 25 he would have put up untouchable numbers........cause even though his albums still sold after death they didnt do the kinds of numbers he could have done if he was alive.

but to answer you question its because eminem is a beast and the other white rappers are not as good as him
  • dj expanium
    dj expanium Confirm Email Posts: 3,581 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I do recognize that the man is talented, highly-skilled, proficient rapper. But he has the most appeal and more "pop-oriented" material than any of the rappers that have been mentioned. When I say "Pop-oriented", it means that he has material that a majority of the people in the US can relate to. I like the Beastie Boys and 3rd Bass. The Beastie Boys are more rap-rock than anything, but they don't have any US No.1 singles either.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Eminem is hip-hop's best selling artist of all time (sorry 2pac and Jay), and as a black man, I have no specific feelings about that. I would prefer 2pac be the all time best selling rapper (because 2pac is the greatest to ever do it, Jay-Z is second), but it's whatever at this point.....Eminem has done his thing, and that's that. Good for him.

With that being said, why don't other white rappers sell that good? Aside from The Beastie Boys, Vanilla Ice, and maybe House of Pain, white rappers going platinum is a rarity. Why is that?

So many of us say that Eminem sells only because he's white, but if that's so true, why don't other white rappers sell good for the most part???

Because how many white boys do you know who rap, the issue i have at hand with Em's fans and numbers are; alot of Eminem fans will listen to him and no other rappers. Alot of them look at black rappers as being violent and materialistic
  • bankrupt baller
    edited June 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Because how many white boys do you know who rap, the issue i have at hand with Em's fans and numbers are; alot of Eminem fans will listen to him and no other rappers. Alot of them look at black rappers as being violent and materialistic

im a eminem fan but you are right about a lot of his fans though.....but people shouldnt hate the artist just because their fans are dumb..
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • dj expanium
    edited June 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    Talent?....
    It's not just the talent. There are plenty of white rappers that could rival Eminem....Edan, Sage Francis, Brother Ail, etc. To me, those guys do it more for the art and love of hip-hop than anything else. And I respect those artists for that.
  • dj expanium
    edited June 2010
    Options
    you are making a claim that eminem fans won't listen to a black rapper because of violence...?

word...
    Oh, no. But he raps about what most of them would do though.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    It's not just the talent. There are plenty of white rappers that could rival Eminem....Edan, Sage Francis, Brother Ail, etc. To me, those guys do it more for the art and love of hip-hop than anything else. And I respect those artists for that.

I feel you, but he has a WIDE range of abilities on the mic. I havent listened to those guys personally. Em had the perfect formula for success. Big name producer and skills. I remember back in 98-99 when I first heard "My name is", I thought he would be the biggest joke since Vanilla Ice. Then a white guy I worked with let me listen to the CD and I noticed the kid had some rhymes. I knew then he was gonna blow.
  • da champ
    da champ Members Posts: 1,091
    edited June 2010
    Options
    well in entertainment forms that are dominated by one race, they're aren't many members of another race that make a lot of money.
    in some cases it works the same way with gender.

in RnB the only white selling artist right now is Robin Thicke. It used to be Jon B.
    we won't even talk about females in hip-hop.
    look @ black/latina actresses that make big money for their movies.
    black supermodels.

you get the idea.
  • kentuckywildcat
    kentuckywildcat Members Posts: 9,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    What other white rappers?.....didn't know we had any more
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    im a eminem fan but you are right about a lot of his fans though.....but people shouldnt hate the artist just because their fans are dumb..

It's a problem when these white mfs try to use the fact that he is white to manipulate ? like the Vibe greatest rapper of all time ? or his album sales. I don't know one respectable hiphop fan who thinks Em is anywhere near the goat rapper. It's like a black dude has to be to be spectacular to get his just due.
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    The Beastie Boys are the #1 selling rap group of all time they have sold 36 million albums worldwide including a 9X Platinum album with "Pauls Boutique".

Other white rappers dont have Dr.Dre.

Dr Dre. has made stars out of everybody that he has exec' produced.

Here's some white rappers sell good

Insane Clown Possee has 3 Gold albums and and two platinum albums
    Fred Durst has multi-platinum records
    3rd bass have two Gold albums
    Paul Wall has a Gold album that went to #1 on the charts
    Bubba Sparxxx has a Gold album
    Everlast has a multi-platinum album

Platinum is a rarity for most artists why wouldnt you think its rare for white rappers who are only 2% of the damn industry anyway to sell a platinum record??

Aside from JayZ, Wayne & T.I why dont other black rappers sell good???
  • UK_FTW
    UK_FTW Members Posts: 412
    edited June 2010
    Options
    i swear there has been a thread on em in the reason everyday for the last 5 years

can we please switch it up a bit?

this is what makes the forum wack!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bankrupt baller
    edited June 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    It's a problem when these white mfs try to use the fact that he is white to manipulate ? like the Vibe greatest rapper of all time ? or his album sales. I don't know one respectable hiphop fan who thinks Em is anywhere near the goat rapper. It's like a black dude has to be to be spectacular to get his just due.

i know what you mean.....im white though and to me pac is the GOAT
  • nynicca
    nynicca Banned Users Posts: 877
    edited June 2010
    Options
    because white rappers dont have no swag. and if you dont have swag you not gonna sell. thats why southern rappers sell. west coast rappers swag is stuck in 1994, and east coast swag is stuck in the late 1990s
  • dj expanium
    edited June 2010
    Options
    major pain wrote: »
    I feel you, but he has a WIDE range of abilities on the mic. I havent listened to those guys personally. Em had the perfect formula for success. Big name producer and skills. I remember back in 98-99 when I first heard "My name is", I thought he would be the biggest joke since Vanilla Ice. Then a white guy I worked with let me listen to the CD and I noticed the kid had some rhymes. I knew then he was gonna blow.
    His skills can't be denied and I remember seeing the video for that song and thinking WOW!!!! Plus his image made him more marketable to. I'll give some examples of the ones I mentioned.
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Paul Wall got platinum albums.. I dont know why he is so ? GARBAGE
  • curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    edited June 2010
    Options
    There are lots of white emcees who could give Em a run for his money. The problem with them is it comes with a stigma of coming out after him. Em came out on a major at the right time. 1999 - Right in the middle of Old School fans and the coming of New School Fans. There was a bridge that Jay-Z rode also. Older peeps knew who he was, Younger fans was intrigued, plus he can write and spit. Same with Eminem. He was the Zach Morris of Hip Hop with his Blond hair and funny 1st singles and neither are blond in real life as you see with Eminem.
  • bankrupt baller
    edited June 2010
    Options
    His skills can't be denied and I remember seeing the video for that song and thinking WOW!!!! Plus his image made him more marketable to. I'll give some examples of the ones I mentioned.

personality is what seperates rappers...
  • bankrupt baller
    edited June 2010
    Options
    a lot of rappers can spit but can they make good albums......i like jada he can spit but his albums are never great.....just like these other white guys that people feel are better than em....they most likely cant make better albums
  • curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Eternia & Moss just dropped a cd yesterday. Will y'all support another white artist besides Eminem ?
  • dj expanium
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • nynicca
    nynicca Banned Users Posts: 877
    edited June 2010
    Options
    theres this white guy i know from brooklyn who finished a manslaughter bid and is actually gangsta. has a few "F's" on his report card. imma teach that ? how to rap be his manager and everybody would cop his ? cuz hes white and street. Once we was in the pj's to visite his baby mom with his brother and he got mad that his baby mother was not home and was out with her new bf. he kept cursing saying imma ? this ? this and that. his brother said he gotta tone done keep saying ? so much cause there were black people around the pj park. he just said "i dont give a ? ". no one did ? . imma teach that ? how to rap and get it rollin
  • dj expanium
    edited June 2010
    Options
    personality is what seperates rappers...
    You don't think these guys have the personality for widestream appeal? And did you just say that your "white" earlier in here?
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options