Why are fans always looking for the next or love comparing new rappers to old rappers

Options
usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in The Reason
I was watching some Youtube videos and reading some of the comments on these rap videos and all i saw was ? comparing Drake and J Cole. I thought it was one of the most ? ? ever because there styles are so different, i also say some idiots saying Drake is the next Jay and Cole is the next Nas. First of all there is no next Nas or Jay, just like there was no next Kane and Rakim, no one lifestory is the same so i don't quite crasp the comparison nonsense. Even though i don't ? with Drakes music it seems to me people are throwing the J Cole comparison at him because for some reason they think Cole is underground (which he clearly states he is more than) and Drake represents mainstream, it's as if the fans are tryna box them in already.

Bob is not the next Andre 3000
Ross is not the next Biggie
Nypsey Russell is not the next Snoop

Comments

• curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Its basically seeing what said rapper does and comparing it to what emcee made it popular. They called Ja-Rule the next LL for his love songs. Same thing they did with Drake on this very site. It can be taken as a compliment or a diss, depending on how it was stated. I say let Drake be the 1st Drake and see if can pull a long career like LL.
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    its because fans don't know how to embrace future innovation, they're stuck in the past. for example, every rapper who displays some type of passion or emotion in their music is always “ the next pac“, that ? irritating. people wanna see another pac so bad that they say that all the time its annoyin.