Austin Rivers To the Draft? Reports Yes Doc Says No

Options
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/austin-rivers-to-declare-for-the-nba-draft/

This should come as no surprise. The 6’3″ freshman, who averaged 15.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg and 2.1 apg, is projected as a first round pick — Draft Express currently lists him 17th, although there are many that expect him to jump into the lottery — and has always seemed to carry himself like a one-and-doner. You can also be assured that Rivers got the best advice on where his standing is as a prospect; his father is Doc Rivers, the head coach of the Boston Celtics.
There are also rumors going around that Mason Plumlee will be entering the draft as well, although nothing is official yet.

Duke’s season ended last week when the No. 2 seed Blue Devils lost to No. 15 Lehigh in the opening round of the NCAA tournament.

update Docs response to reports

http://www.necn.com/03/23/12/Rivers-Son-Austin-undecided-on-going-pro/landing_sports.html?blockID=675988&feedID=3352

PHILADELPHIA — According to published reports, Duke freshman Austin Rivers is leaving Duke after just one season.

But his father, Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers, said his son has not made a decision on whether to turn pro.

"I heard the reports," Doc Rivers said. "But he hasn't decided yet."

Doc Rivers added that one day his son is leaning one way with his decision, and another day he's leaning in the opposite direction.

Players have until April 10 to make a decision, which is why Doc Rivers expects his son to make a decision "soon."

The whole situation is unique, to say the least.

Rivers is a father first, but he's also an NBA head coach whose livelihood depends in part on the C's front office adding quality players … like his son Austin, one of the most heralded freshman in the country this past season.

From Doc Rivers' perspective, the worst thing that can come out of all this is that his son returns to Duke University.

"It's good that he has choices," Doc Rivers said. "We'll see. It'll be soon."

The decision Austin made on choosing Duke was a difficult one, one in which his father was involved.

As far as Austin's decision on playing in the NBA, Doc Rivers said his involvement is no greater or less than it was

Comments

• detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rivers has a pro game. he gonna put up some numbers in the league. He's a better more athletic OJ Mayo
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    rivers has a pro game. he gonna put up some numbers in the league. He's a better more athletic OJ Mayo

i dunno i thought he still needs improvement before going to the nba though. hes a good player with potential but i think he needed a college offseason or 2 in the college game before going to the nba...he wasnt even that dominant in the games i saw him play in the scrub ridden acc
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hey another combo guard who won't find a position in the league, don't see him being able to stick point guards like Westbrook or Rose.
  • Bawse D.Lox
    Bawse D.Lox Members Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think he needs to stay another year, and he will def be a top 10
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    i think he needs to stay another year, and he will def be a top 10

that what i was thinking....im surprised that this ? got a nba championship winning coach as a father and he still doing 1 and done without clear signs he should leave. Doc making racks out in boston to so its not like its for the money.......
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should stay another year. But he's gonna be decent
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He did say he wanted to go at lebron a few years back though
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One of the most underwhelming freshman years in recent memory this is a mistake cuz he needed another year to bulk up or try nd develop better point guard skills he wont be a star in the NBA
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »

i dunno i thought he still needs improvement before going to the nba though. hes a good player with potential but i think he needed a college offseason or 2 in the college game before going to the nba...he wasnt even that dominant in the games i saw him play in the scrub ridden acc

yea he has to improve his passing but his one on one game is nasty. he was the only person on duke who could create a shot so he took alot of bad shots.

I dont like Duke players but Austin Rivers can play
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

yea he has to improve his passing but his one on one game is nasty. he was the only person on duke who could create a shot so he took alot of bad shots.

I dont like Duke players but Austin Rivers can play

but again hes doing that ? against allot of scrub players. I just expected austin to dominate allot more than he did. Yes his stats look nice on paper but every game i see him play in he doesn't give me the vibe that he was ready to go. Like when i saw kemba play for my huskies last year i knew he was clearly ready to head for the draft. I just don't see that with austin. He should have did another year and really worked hard over the summer get another year of ncaa tourney experience then declared.

Right now i don't see austin doing ? in the nba or in the summer league.
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Juan Dixon, Victor Page all over again....

I'm pretty sure his basketball IQ is high enough to learn the 1 position and stick with it. He'll be the type of PG that can come off screens and pop a jumper. He'll have to learn how to pass and read defenses to be successful at running the point, since he's an offensive minded guard. He'll be able to swing up to the SG position and see some success with the right coaching system running a 3 guard setup. He'll fit perfect in Golden State, as a replacement for Monte Ellis. Mark Jackson can teach him the skills on being a point guard and how to survive with minimum skills.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dude won't average 15 a game in the league ....

no athleticism, no quickness, LoL @ dude strugglin to move past them slow ass white boys in the acc .....
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1 and done. just like is former team
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No motha ? sign !
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    should had stayed another year.
  • Matt-
    Options
    but now that he's not a devil, i think he will make a very good pro. If he were playing at almost any other school in america, he'd be scoring 20+ points a night and everyone would have a different opinion. He's got to become a more consistant perimeter shooter, but he's got the handles, quickness, and speed to get past anyone and he's a very good finisher once he gets to the rim.
  • Matt-
    edited March 2012
    Options
    and Duke is gonn have a scrub team next year. Seth Curry or Ryan Kelly as the best player lmao.

coach K going to the Knicks
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad I ain't a die hard CBB fan.

This 1&done ish is woat.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Be$T_1 wrote: »
    dude won't average 15 a game in the league ....

no athleticism, no quickness, LoL @ dude strugglin to move past them slow ass white boys in the acc .....

lmaoo true...regardless of what system he is in he aint been doing ? to son what is growing to be a ? conference by the year.

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    matt- wrote: »
    and Duke is gonn have a scrub team next year. Seth Curry or Ryan Kelly as the best player lmao.

they got decent recruits coming in Coach K is not leaving Duke ever...

• Matt-
    Options

they are losing kids to NC STATE!!! and even tho K has looked the exact same for 20 years, he's still getting up there in age. He don't have time to mess around with one and dones and decent recruits. He's gonna get around those NBA guys this summer and get that urge to actually coach in the league.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

they are losing kids to NC STATE!!! and even tho K has looked the exact same for 20 years, he's still getting up there in age. He don't have time to mess around with one and dones and decent recruits. He's gonna get around those NBA guys this summer and get that urge to actually coach in the league.

the only time coach K will coach nba ? is during the olympics........

trying to deal with coaching mello and amare will add 30 years of stress within the first month lmaooo
  • Matt-
    Options

the only time coach K will coach nba ? is during the olympics........

trying to deal with coaching mello and amare will add 30 years of stress within the first month lmaooo

he's coached carmello before. if he had an issue dealing with established nba stars, then he wouldn't have signed up for the job of coaching them in the olympics.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is this dude actually any good? All i see him do is shoot 3's
  • Matt-
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    is this dude actually any good? All i see him do is shoot 3's

because there are no 4's