Do people really think Big was a top 5 lyricist?

Options
13»

Comments

• rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    his victory verses were pretty average besides those few bars. he went way harder on long kiss and kick in the door than on victory.

LOL @ "Victory" being average Lyrically. Biggie is respected by rappers and fans alike for being one of the most lyrical emcees ever. Some of you really fail to understand his impact on Lyricism despite all the evidence right in front of your faces. Also those 2 songs you mentioned prove the point, how is Biggie not a Top lyricist after you listen to "Kick in the Door" him diss 5 emcee without saying a name and most people feel he did rip Pac lyrically on "Long Kiss".
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    it's very debatable imo. Big really had no flaws as an emcee. it's the total package why i think he's top 5 overall rapper of all time.

lyrically big can hold his own against any of the best pure lyricists ever.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    of couse his stans are diluted like all are
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Options
    his victory verses were pretty average besides those few bars. he went way harder on long kiss and kick in the door than on victory.

LOL @ "Victory" being average Lyrically. Biggie is respected by rappers and fans alike for being one of the most lyrical emcees ever. Some of you really fail to understand his impact on Lyricism despite all the evidence right in front of your faces. Also those 2 songs you mentioned prove the point, how is Biggie not a Top lyricist after you listen to "Kick in the Door" him diss 5 emcee without saying a name and most people feel he did rip Pac lyrically on "Long Kiss".

victory wasn't that amazing to me. he has alot better performances than that.
    compared to every rapper to ever come out he is one of the best. but compared to other top lyricists i wouldn't say he's top 5(g-rap, nas, jay, rakim, common, az, ras kass, pun, priest, mos def, etc)
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had LAD on last week's playlist

I like 'Playa Haters'
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    it's very debatable imo. Big really had no flaws as an emcee. it's the total package why i think he's top 5 overall rapper of all time.

lyrically big can hold his own against any of the best pure lyricists ever.

Biggie had a fondness for treats.

His gluttony is legendary, he was once rumored to have eaten the tire on an Isuzu Trooper after losing the $1000 he had accumulated for his weekend feeding frenzy.

Other rumors have surfaced that he robbed Hot-Dog vendors for stale buns and snuck inside movie theatres to pilfer Pop-Corn buckets were he could devour the left-over corn-kernals and lap the butter remains from the buckets.

Sheer savagery
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • CMac
    CMac Members Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know where people got the idea Big was very lyrical. He had a great flow and original voice though.
  • freshb651
    freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "warm nights, i perform like Mike,
    any one Jackson, Jordan, Tyson...."

This is probably one of the most slept on bars in hip hop...i cant lie, i didnt get it the first time i heard it...but have always appreciated what it meant once i paid attention to it

Actually it's "BRAWL NIGHTS". He was starting off talking about Boxing which is why he brought up Tyson 1st but what he means is on Fight Nights he's the best or the best at his craft. He was basically calling himself the GOAT on wax by comparing himself to Mike Tyson, Jordan and Jackson who are all GOAT status in their respective fields. He then goes to say "Action, Pack Guns" after Jackson which is a play on words about the film "Action Jackson" which is an 80's action film staring Carl Weathers who also played Apollo in the Rocky Series. Shouting out Carl Weathers made sense since Biggie is rapping over the Rocky Score. These bars are extactly why Big is a Top Lyricist. Look how much meaning he got out of that one line, "Victory" was the last verse Biggie spit and look how ILL he went out lyrically. That song is a Lyrical masterpiece. He even made Diddy sound good as he wrote his verses also. As everyone knows, Jay bit this line on "? In Paris" also he just changed the name order around and added "Game 6" but the inspiration was Biggie.

wow,i never caught the Action Jackson reference.Biggie is easily a top 5 canidate.LOL @ the Biggie hate in here.
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    freshb651 wrote: »
    "warm nights, i perform like Mike,
    any one Jackson, Jordan, Tyson...."

This is probably one of the most slept on bars in hip hop...i cant lie, i didnt get it the first time i heard it...but have always appreciated what it meant once i paid attention to it

Actually it's "BRAWL NIGHTS". He was starting off talking about Boxing which is why he brought up Tyson 1st but what he means is on Fight Nights he's the best or the best at his craft. He was basically calling himself the GOAT on wax by comparing himself to Mike Tyson, Jordan and Jackson who are all GOAT status in their respective fields. He then goes to say "Action, Pack Guns" after Jackson which is a play on words about the film "Action Jackson" which is an 80's action film staring Carl Weathers who also played Apollo in the Rocky Series. Shouting out Carl Weathers made sense since Biggie is rapping over the Rocky Score. These bars are extactly why Big is a Top Lyricist. Look how much meaning he got out of that one line, "Victory" was the last verse Biggie spit and look how ILL he went out lyrically. That song is a Lyrical masterpiece. He even made Diddy sound good as he wrote his verses also. As everyone knows, Jay bit this line on "? In Paris" also he just changed the name order around and added "Game 6" but the inspiration was Biggie.

wow,i never caught the Action Jackson reference.Biggie is easily a top 5 canidate.LOL @ the Biggie hate in here.

Action_Jackson_cvr.jpg

Yea that line went over a lot of people's head. Biggie was a huge movie buff, he watched a lot of movies so he had a ton of Movie references. Also again he's rapping over Rocky, he had to give Rocky a shoutout and he did it through the Carl Weather reference. That bar explains exactly why Big was so ILL, he did the most lyrically with Less, other so called super lyrical emcee couldn't sound as good as Biggie did spitting that least amount of bars. Also someone mentioned that Black Thought and Pun were more lyrical than Big. Well they both did a song together called "Super Lyrical" and guess who they sampled on the hook? Biggie and Canibus, also Canibus is considered a Lyrical ? in Hip Hop and who did he call the GOAT?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_EIh8O8FrA
  • rapmastermind
    Options
    CMac wrote: »
    I don't know where people got the idea Big was very lyrical. He had a great flow and original voice though.

How can you listen to "Who Shot Ya", "Warning" and "Long Kiss" and not understand how Lyrical Biggie was? If you broke Lyricism down in categories, what Didn't Biggie excel in?

Wordplay/vocab: His wordplay was crazy
    Multi's: He didn't do them as rapid fast as maybe a Grap, Pun, NaS or Emienm but he did it very well, see "Unbeliveable" for a reference.
    Cadence: His flow made sure each rhyme fit very well
    Rhyme schemes: He had one of the best

I mean what exactly is weak about Big's lyrics? You don't get bitten as much as Biggie has and be a weak or average lyricist.
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big was good, but not top 5, maybe in the 10-15 range.
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Options
    CMac wrote: »

How can you listen to "Who Shot Ya", "Warning" and "Long Kiss" and not understand how Lyrical Biggie was? If you broke Lyricism down in categories, what Didn't Biggie excel in?

Wordplay/vocab: His wordplay was crazy
    Multi's: He didn't do them as rapid fast as maybe a Grap, Pun, NaS or Emienm but he did it very well, see "Unbeliveable" for a reference.
    Cadence: His flow made sure each rhyme fit very well
    Rhyme schemes: He had one of the best

I mean what exactly is weak about Big's lyrics? You don't get bitten as much as Biggie has and be a weak or average lyricist.

his lyrics really aren't as potent as people make them out to be. he does have amazing moments though