Too Many Damn Rappers?

Options
JDSTAYWITIT
JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in The Reason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuFWZmcH-nY&feature=plcp&context=C4585e10VDvjVQa1PpcFPR09yYeODoBshwmqUsANTXEKwZmHmI5Pk=

I was recently watching this video by dude from the needle drop ...and he was bringing up some interesting points on music in general ....essentially what he is saying is could we be getting to a point where its just to much damn music coming out for people to appreciate or better yet differentiate the quality ? from the nonsense? and i thought about it and just appied it to hiphop..... i mean in a day and age where everybody "got that new hot tape bruh" is it getting to a point where theres just a saturation of "stuff" and because of that do cats just accept the wack ? as actually dope even to the point where people defend the wack ? or try to justify the wackness instead of just calling it wack like it is? and if so whats the remedy tho?

Comments

• huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup, too many sellers not enough customers
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    no there isnt too many musicians. there arent enough musicians. there isnt a medium to separate quality from mediocre music online. buying a midi controller and downloading fl studio doesnt make you a musician. everyone who is making music isnt a musician
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not to mention the show money is getting shorter and shorter. A rapper like Freeway is struggling to make 2k per show. Its looking rough out here.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the quality of music is why everybody wants to make it. There's no impossible bar to reach like in the day of Nas, Big, Pac etc alot of ppl rapped but most didnt want to become a rapper because they knew that they wasnt on the level of the "Professional". When you know your better than who's on TV then why not try?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Definitely way too many rappers. Add that to the fact that you no longer have to go out and purchase a physical copy of music anymore, its going to be hard to succeed if your music is not Super Dope and appeal to the masses. Rap maxed out in the late 90's and influenced so many people that you can make it big off of being a rapper that its gotten stale. Im pretty sure that the chances of you being a successful rapper(as a career) are just as slim as a professional athlete or even less.

*marks for future thread*
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
    no there isnt too many musicians. there arent enough musicians. there isnt a medium to separate quality from mediocre music online. buying a midi controller and downloading fl studio doesnt make you a musician. everyone who is making music isnt a musician

what qualifies musicianship?
    I think the quality of music is why everybody wants to make it. There's no impossible bar to reach like in the day of Nas, Big, Pac etc alot of ppl rapped but most didnt want to become a rapper because they knew that they wasnt on the level of the "Professional". When you know your better than who's on TV then why not try?

right but thats what im talking about to a certain degree ....i mean is there really not a lot of ultra talented individuals out here rapping and doing this hiphop thing.... or is it just a matter of the wack ? getting propped up because people cant tell who is who do to the overload of ? coming thru their speakers...
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
    Definitely way too many rappers. Add that to the fact that you no longer have to go out and purchase a physical copy of music anymore, its going to be hard to succeed if your music is not Super Dope and appeal to the masses. Rap maxed out in the late 90's and influenced so many people that you can make it big off of being a rapper that its gotten stale. Im pretty sure that the chances of you being a successful rapper(as a career) are just as slim as a professional athlete or even less.

is this something exclusive to hiphop or just in general?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Dizzel3000 wrote: »

is this something exclusive to hiphop or just in general?

Tell you the truth bruh, I have no idea cause I dont follow other genre's but I do know that Rock was huge in the 80's(like rap in the 90's) and they fell off as well and transformed into "Alternative". Rap took over in the early 90's so I can imagine its just a process of time. This culture will never go away but without a Jay-z/Em/Kanye type artist we will fade. And thats prolly a good thing for the ear.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ive been thinkin this for awhile... its the digital age... when soulja boy can blow up off a song with minimal production and no rhyming whatsoever... and lil b shooting one hundred 2 minute videos in his bathroom... and everybody running out to grab a camera and a couple hoodrat strippers to shoot a video for a song u just want to mute...

at the same time I feel like theres a chance anyone can make it outside of the record labels... whos checkin for record labels anymore? The people have more of a voice than ever... im just rambling now...
  • art VANDELAY
    art VANDELAY Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Options
    ? , have I actually gone this long into a thread without someone mentioning how this guy is white and therefore his opinion doesn't matter? I guess I didn't read in depth enough.

There aren't too many rappers, there is just more ways to release, share and promote music. Believe or not, there are 100 times as many guys who consider themselves "rappers" than we even know about.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Actually there isn't enough good music or musicians , If there has been 20 new rappers that have came out in the past 5 years its 4 or 5 I actually mess with. And for all the rappers we supposely have, January-March have all for the most part have been mixtapes . The ? ? is not worth paying attention to and most of the music is free so the whole not enough customers thing is false. Music isn't like buying a car or some ? you can have 20 different artists in rotation if they good . I don't think people would be complaining if they had a variety of dope ? to chose from but they don't . I was thinkin about this yesterday its not a whole a of rappers bringing something different to the table. They the same rapper with a different cosmetic skin. I was listening to casey veggies ft. mac miller can I live and the only difference between those cats is voice and skin color . They really the same muthafucka.
  • Dat1Dude7
    Dat1Dude7 Members Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    Options
    cosign the whole thread

too many rappers

too many sellers, not enough buyers
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been saying this for years, i blame establish rappers for putting on their wack ass homeboys. Lets be real ? like most the St. Lunatics, State Prop (not all of em), DTP, D12 shouldn't even be in the game. At the end of the day this ? is art, a lot of these rappers use it as a hustle though.