how much do you know about American slavery?

Options
Aztec_Kang
Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
i guess this is kinda a strange thread.......i've studied slavery quite a bit........im an english major and i've read lots of slave narratives and stuff like that.....i took a couple history classes on the topic as well......have you guys read up on the subject or do you just know about it through television and the internet?......i recommend reading David Walker's Appeal to the Coloured Citizens of America.....and Booker T. Washington's Up from Slavery....and Incidents in the Life of Slave Girl by linda brendt......these are really interesting books and writings........it kinda helps put oppression in context in my opinion.......

Comments

• BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    - A majority of the slaves were purchased from the Caribbean isles. (they were were slaves there used to farm sugar cane)

- Slavery is not the sole reason blacks are in America, there were free slaves from the Caribbean who migrated to North America before the United States was established. (eventually some of these blacks were kidnapped and forced into slavery, or their property was stolen from them)

Eh, that's all I remember, I have a terrible memory.
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Slavery was and is the back bone of white supremacy. Without it, the modern world cannot function.

When people conceive of slaves in their mind, they think of people in chains, but in antebellum slavery, there were hardly
    slaves in chains, they walked around physically unbonded because the mind was broken

Chains are only used in the process of breaking a man into a slave, once the process is complete chains are unnecessary.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options
    the one thing about slavery that was always confusing to me is how White people actually captured slaves in Africa and to what extent....i did terrible in one history class years ago because i argued that White people actually captured more female Africans than males and the professor was like a lesbian feminist(there are many lesbian feminist professors for some reason) so she took offense to my argument. I understand Africans sold other Africans to White people but these were prisoners of war in many situations...

I know more about slavery once the slaves were already here in America. Slavery is a complicated subject once you get into the question of how this ? actually happened. A lot of the slave narratives were challenged for their authenticity because abolition groups were the ones that funded many of the narratives.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options
    david walker's appeal does a great job of illustrating how American slavery is the cruelest form of slavery that ever existed in the history of mankind.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options
    it's also really weird to hear priviliged white people talk about slavery in a class setting.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options
    the conjure tales by chesnutt is also a very interesting slavery related book and the authobiography of an ex colored man by james w. johnson is really good too. have you all read any of these books i've mentioned?
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not particularly relevant to my field, but I have an above-average knowledge of the slavery of the Trans-Atlantic slave trade.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options
    are you willing to share some of your knowledge? thats why i made this thread to see what others know...
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Almost an expert knowledge it s what I concentrated on in college..
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options
    one interesting thing I vaguely remember is Europeans tried to make slaves out of Native Americans at one point but the Natives were dying under the conditions....so Europeans concentrated on Black slaves because they could endure it.........
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah like fiat above average

now I tend to focus on slavery from 2 aspects: the colonization of Liberia & the religious arguments at the time rationalizing it

deep ? man
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The reason Africans were relatively easy to capture is because many were first enslaved by Arabs.

Africans have suffered under Arab cruelty far longer than European cruelty.

The ones who were kidnapped by other African tribes usually were the rivals to that tribe. Coastal countries were the first contact and Europeans traded with them, in return these coastal countries went into the african interior and captured people and turned them over to europeans.

• Aztec_Kang
    Options
    i never heard anything about about Arabs enslaving Africans.....not sure what time period your referring to.....
  • taeboo
    taeboo Members Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Arabs have been enslaving Africans for 1000's of years and continues today.
  • tru_m.a.c
    Options
    Aztec_Kang wrote: »
    i never heard anything about about Arabs enslaving Africans.....not sure what time period your referring to.....

dude ur reading the wrong books then lol

In fact to this day there's a tug of war between Christianity and Islam converting Africans
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    taeboo wrote: »
    Arabs have been enslaving Africans for 1000's of years and continues today.

I gave u the cosign but its a lil bit more complicated than that..
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options
    well i said i know more about slavery once the slaves were already in america......i never studied arabs enslaving africans.....slavery is a big topic and a complex one.....so to say ive read the wrong books is pretty ignorant g no offense....
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options
    im an english major so the majority of my studies on slavery are from the literary aspect....
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DO you know the story of St Patrick?

All the history books say prisoner. Not many call it what it is, Slavery!

Some blacks owned slaves also. it got so bad they actually past a law banning it. Saying it was inhumane. REally?????

one of the richest landowner in the new colonies was a black man. He died before he had to watch his decendant get their land taken and thrown into slavery. Anthony Johnson i believe?????

The one of the many reasons slavery started is because negroes were easier to catch than white endenture servants.

The worst form of slavery was in Brazil, where they actually would work there people to death. Then just replace them with another slave. The same company that ran the boats, ran the plantations.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    The worst form of slavery was in Brazil, where they actually would work there people to death. Then just replace them with another slave. The same company that ran the boats, ran the plantations.

you dont think they worked their slaves to death in america and the caribbean? you know slaves in america were murdered by their masters like nothing right?
  • caddo man
    edited March 2012
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »

you dont think they worked their slaves to death in america and the caribbean? you know slaves in america were murdered by their masters like nothing right?

I know, but the treatment of slaves varied and slaves were commodities like cows and plows. You are going to take enough care of your slaves (equipment) to where it is financially feasible.

The Portugeze?? didnt have that problem. It wasnt financially feasible to keep the same slave passed its peak.
  • tru_m.a.c
    Options
    im an english major so the majority of my studies on slavery are from the literary aspect....

ah ah ah I see

yeah man I think honestly the history of slavery was the first "? in the Dam" for me
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The reason Africans were relatively easy to capture is because many were first enslaved by Arabs.

The ones who were kidnapped by other African tribes usually were the rivals to that tribe. Coastal countries were the first contact and Europeans traded with them, in return these coastal countries went into the african interior and captured people and turned them over to europeans.

my dude religion has rationalized a whole lot of ? up ? , makes you think
  • caddo man
    Options

my dude religion has rationalized a whole lot of ? up ? , makes you think

It is all in the intepretation of things. Just like laws and letter and any other form of print.
  • -Vincenzo-
    -Vincenzo- Members Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    just read about savannah and charleston being the biggest trade ports and john castor the first slave in america.
    also been to cape coast castle in ghana from where slaves where transported, deep ? ...