Chuck D wants Rick Ross to rap about Trayvon Martin

Options
Washington_Red
Washington_Red Members Posts: 255
edited March 2012 in The Reason
With marches and rallies appearing all over the country, the controversy surrounding the shooting of Trayvon Martin doesn't appear to fading away anytime soon. Chuck D, activist and front man of the legendary hip-hop group Public Enemy, has been one of the more vocal artists in the part of the music community raising awareness on behalf the slain teen. Via his Twitter account, Chuck D suggested that Florida-based rapper Rick Ross make a song in honor of Trayvon.

chuck-d-rick-ross.jpg

While Rick Ross has posted photos of himself wearing a hoodie in tribute to the Florida teen, Chuck D says Ross has such a influential following that a Trayvon inspired track could have a big impact on the investigation.

Chuck D has called rappers out in the past for not using hip-hop as tool for change. Last summer, he went to the Internet and released his version of Kanye West and Jay-Z's popular track "Otis", which criticizes rappers who glamorize style over substance.

source: http://www.thegrio.com/entertainment/chuck-d-wants-rick-ross-to-rap-about-trayvon-martin.php

Will Ross take the time out from being a ? in Paris to make a social statement about something going on in his own backyard?

Comments

• Dat1Dude7
    Dat1Dude7 Members Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder why no replies
    lmao

Chuck D is right though. Ross got the following and he should use his voice/influence.

Would be nice of Ross to do it but I know its gonna be a long shot.
    He prolly give him a shout out or a punchline.

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chuck D needs to shut the ? up, he is starting to sound like how old folks sound.

He has a voice and a microphone, why don't he go make a record.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Chuck D needs to shut the ? up, he is starting to sound like how old folks sound.

I was gonna say the same. Why tell another rapper to make a record about it when you're a rapper yourself?
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's right i mean it is in his Home state and he is the one of the most popular voices in Hip Hop today....
  • Washington_Red
    Washington_Red Members Posts: 255
    Options

Damn son.

Chuck is a old head tho. He doesnt have the reach that Ross does.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's right i mean it is in his Home state and he is the one of the most popular voices in Hip Hop today....
    what does his state have to do with it? so should we expect all the new york rappers to dedicate a song when someone gets shot by the NYPD again?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL at Chuck D putting Ross on the spot

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Damn son.

This what I was thinking, and cats will listen to Ross before Chuck, that's why he saying that. At this point Ross IS the voice
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its Ross area tho if Chuck D made it ? would fall on deaf ears Ross has pull nd a fanbase but he doesnt have it in him to make dat type of track IMO
  • juan travolta
    juan travolta Members Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rozay to busy selling dope off the iphone.
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what does his state have to do with it? so should we expect all the new york rappers to dedicate a song when someone gets shot by the NYPD again?

His state has everything to do with it. And it would be NICE to have NY rappers rap about what goes on in their backyard. Some NY Rappers made songs about Sean Bell but the Sean Bell case wasnt nearly as big as this story.

• Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can hear " I think Im Trayvon, Amadou Diallo going to the store just to get some skittles..."
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why doens't chuck d make a song

and what magical reach does rick ross have all the sudden? folks spend half the day saying he's not that big of an artists look at his sales. and now a rick ross tribute song is going to change the world.

haters ride along with anything
  • usmarin3
    Options

Damn son.

He has no right to tell another man what to do and lets be real there is a undermine agenda in what Chuck D said. We all know what he is trying to get at.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think rick ross should tbh
  • Rahlow
    Rahlow Members Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's right Chuck, time to make him show & prove. Time to hang up the played out mafioso gimmick in 2012 and address some real life social issues on "a" track.

And then return to fantasizing about a life he never lived before a rap budget.
  • pop duke
    pop duke Members Posts: 375
    Options
    U ppl throwin shade @Chuck D R just ignorant. His suggestion makes alotta sense. If a new pair of red bottoms or Air Yeezy's come out next wk & every other rapper is mentioning it then its super cool,but if a young boy's life is taken in vain by some coward who's racially biased rappers should suddenly go mum?? GTFOH!! Chuck D's trak record spk's for itself & all he's doin is challenging Rozay to spk up. However I will say its a toss up for Ross cause I don't feel its N his lane whereas if he does make a song & its not dat good he'll get hated on & ppl will say he's reaching. At da very least I do feel Ross should go outta his way to spk up N interviews or whateva & truly rep his state. Props to Chuck D & PE RIP TRAYVON
  • jose324
    jose324 Members Posts: 65
    Options
    Ross is garbage and doesn't have the lyrical talent to make a conscious song.
  • blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol you know if ross did a track he compare the shooting to some meal or food and how it taste . ross a fake ? so i doubt he'll speak on the subject
  • usmarin3
    Options
    ? always trying to tell people what to do and what causes they should take up, wtf are ya'll ? doing for Treyvon. Why ya'll ? in in Sanford marching, why the ? is Chuck D in Sanford protesting?
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    ? always trying to tell people what to do and what causes they should take up, wtf are ya'll ? doing for Treyvon. Why ya'll ? in in Sanford marching, why the ? is Chuck D in Sanford protesting?

Why are you so upset? Chuck put out an idea; a suggestion. Not an order. Do you now know who Chuck D is? Do you know know what kind of records he made in his prime or what it is he stood/stands for? If so, doesn't it make sense that someone like Chuck D would say something like this? In my opinion, if Ross WERE to make a record like that, Chuck D would receive little benefit from it if any at all. What if he just happened to be a fan of Ross and this is what he would like to hear from one of his favorite artists in the game. No different from us talking about what we want to see or hear in hip hop music. So why you mad?
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited March 2012
    Options
    This is why I miss 90s hip hop especially early 90s... socially conscious hip hop.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope ross does it. I'll bump that track down university and up.
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plenty of Florida rappers have big followings. Trick is more respected as a OG rapper than Ross. I don't think it is fair to Ross that people would suggest such, if it is not in your heart you should not be doing it.