Female Rappers........

Options
124»

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Female rappers were dope back in the 90's, early to the mid 2000's there was some good ones, now there's nothing
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    female rappers get respect.. its just misogynistic ass men who say all female rappers are wack..
  • Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Options
    The good female rappers are refreshing to me. They trying but I imagine it's damn near impossible for them to get their foot in the door without sleeping with a producer or labelhead. On another note, I check in on the WNBA from time to time. Them broads be doing they thang I don't get the hate.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Nuisance
    The Nuisance Members Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Why dont dudes like female rappers? Legitimate reasons no "Just Cuz" answers please and thank you.
    Because most if the content is geared toward women. I'll admit I had Lauryn, Kim, Foxxy albums & a Nikki mixtape, but sometimes they make that turn that I can't relate to
  • Slowsteel3
    Slowsteel3 Members Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Options
    Im rockin wit Katiegotbandz at this point. She a Guilty Pleasure. smh
  • Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    IMO Eternia one of the nices mc's in hiphop male or female...white chick from Toronto...dope ill hiphop ? ...just some ill tracks...

I wonder how many actually took the time to listen to these tracks.

Checked Eternia out. She's decent for a chick, but from what I heard she lacks the technical skill/charisma to blow. To the threadstarter, you're alright just keep working at it. Keep in mind, this is a male-dominated genre. You have to find a way to set yourself apart from other female rappers while appealing to the males at the same time. Look at the success of other female emcees. What did they do right/wrong? Make their weaknesses your strengths. I ain't saying you gotta try to be them but if it ain't broke don't fix it. Don't try to re-invent the wheel, as they say.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i had 2 gansta boo albums so it can be done,
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drake represents females rappers better than any female
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Females should stick to singing. Most of the so called legends were either mediocre, didn't write their own rhymes, or we're just terrible. It is what it is.
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remy Ma was a legit female rapper b4 she got locked up. I can't take none of these other female rappers seriously because they rely too much on sex appeal and neglect the actual art of rap. ? , I can't even name a relevant female rapper besides Nicki Minaj
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Remy was terrible. She was in that category of female emcees that sounded too tough and came across ? like. I remember that Terror Squad joint she did, Take Me Home, and she sounded like a ? .
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Options
    The same reason why many men aren't excited for WNBA games: the average level of skill is just not the same.

I like a select few female rappers that are talented. There are too many that are just not impressive though.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Females should stick to singing. Most of the so called legends were either mediocre, didn't write their own rhymes, or we're just terrible. It is what it is.

That's how I feel. Besides Queen Latifah, Lauryn Hill and Eve, I think 90% of female rappers use ghostwriters.

I remember reading a Eve interview. The person interviewing her said that Foxy Brown (or it could have been Lil Kim, I don't remember) made a record dissing her and asked if she would respond. So Eve said ,"Look, she doesn't even write her own rhymes. What's the point of me making a record dissing her ghostwriter?" and it made sense.

Like everybody else mentioned before, most girls rap like dudes. Rap is more masculine and very few women can pull it off imo.

Having said that, R&B is the opposite. I like female R&B singers like Erykah Badu, Beyoncé, Mary J Blige. I'd rather listen to a female sing love songs than a dude. Something about a woman singing a love song turns me on.