2Pac,Biggie,Lil Wayne..Who Influenced Hip Hop More?

Options
124»

Comments

• Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Jamaica wrote: »
    looking at the state of HipHop listening to the beats seeing the styles judging the charactors of the rappers and what they speak on...

Biggie is the number one influence on mainstream music and its direction. Lil Wayne is following along that trend jumping pop path that was already established for him by Biggie...

u
    I still stand by this you see way more Biggie in the Music of Today then Pac...

What have biggie influenced in today's hip hop in your eyes?

Come on child you already know the answer to that Puffy and Biggies brand of HipHop rules the mainstream from the flash and false tales talking about nothing to the questionable content associations and actions, to the beat styles and samples all the way down to the name jacking and persona's. I know you and the rest of the Brigade love to go in on how often he is quoted by todays rappers he is the manchurian blueprint, Now if you need a more thorough break down There is a thread way down in the jungle deep that I can bump or pull content from to go in further. All that said again Biggies stamp is all over HipHop Mainstream and the direction it has went since his death...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    looking at the state of HipHop listening to the beats seeing the styles judging the charactors of the rappers and what they speak on...

Biggie is the number one influence on mainstream music and its direction. Lil Wayne is following along that trend jumping pop path that was already established for him by Biggie...

u

Come on child you already know the answer to that Puffy and Biggies brand of HipHop rules the mainstream from the flash and false tales talking about nothing to the questionable content associations and actions, to the beat styles and samples all the way down to the name jacking and persona's. I know you and the rest of the Brigade love to go in on how often he is quoted by todays rappers he is the manchurian blueprint, Now if you need a more thorough break down There is a thread way down in the jungle deep that I can bump or pull content from to go in further. All that said again Biggies stamp is all over HipHop Mainstream and the direction it has went since his death...

okay let me breakdown your post.

here is an example from the versy first rap record (to my knowledge)

"i got bodyguards, i got two big cars
    that definitely aint thewack
    i got a lincoln continental and a sunroof cadillac
    so after school,i take a dip in the pool
    which really is on the wall
    i got a color tv soi can see
    the knicks play basketball"

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/rappersdelightlyrics.html

it was noted that he didn't have none of that stuff he was rapping about. I guess biggie invented "flash and false tales"

hip hop has been using samples since biggie probably thought about rapping.

one of the first hit rap records was a aerosmith song remade by run dmc called walk this way. not to mention since you're from Seattle baby got back was also a sample from a song called technicolor

you talk about name jacking

the majority of the wu tang "jacked" their names from kung fu flicks (old ? bastard, master killer) to name a few.

also you cant forget "makaveli" which tupac "jacked" from someone else.

• Soloman_The_Wise
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    Tough call.....

But you gotta look at what each of them did for their era during the time they lived & how those eras helped craft & impact todays era.

Big influenced hiphop through his lyrical ability, MANY of the game's rappers have borrowed from Big's book of rhymes & some have built whole careers off it (Im not gonna name names I'd think it's pretty obvious who LOLOL). Thing is Big's rhyme blueprint was too intricate for ? to decipher so instead u got these watered down versions.

Pac influenced Hiphop by bringing social commentary and passion to the game. But where Pac wanted to go with it and how it got interpreted are 2 diff't things, but that's kind of Pac's fault for not wanting to live long enough to see it through. So instead ? glorified what Pac did which led to the early-mid 2000s and a period where being a thug was desirable and "cool".

Lil Wayne on the other hand is the impact of what the previous 2 did and how it became without their presence to see it through. Wayne is the ridiculously watered down version of what Big & Pac should have been there to prevent.

Now as for the question of WHO influenced Hiphop more ? IMO Tupac. When Pac died from 1998 to 2007 the game was AALLL about being a real ? and a gangster. From Ja Rule, to 50 Cent, to Cam'ron/Dipset, Jay-Z, Boosie, Jeezy, T.I., etc. For 10 years straight that imagery of being a thug, the oppressed savage young black male who will do anything to win was considered the "in" thing of the moment.

at this point though do you still feel that way with music Honestly? In Drake, Jay Z, Kanye, Nicki, Wayne, B.O.B., Kid Cudi, Big Sean, Rick Ross, Jeezy,etc... WHo do you hear more of in there musical Styles/beats Biggie or Pac???
  • TheKillerTruth
    TheKillerTruth Members Posts: 139
    Options
    Oka lets be honest rappers use other peoples ? constantly if you wanna be accurate aint ? new hit hip hop since big daddy kane also folks holla abot rakem or whatever his name is but you can trace his style back to KRS-ONE one of the offical people who can say they helped make hip hop what it is 2day kool-mo-dee was the 1st battle rapper with his style of who rocked the crowd the most that ll cool j also borrowed or uses pac&biggie did not make anything new especially when guys like N.W.A&the real 1st rappers in hip hop started all the trends we see and use 2day no matter how watered down or changed we try 2 make it
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Since 91, I am the truest/ name a rapper that I aint influenced..."

No but seriously... What has Wayne influenced?

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    It's Pac and it's not even close. Nobody affected the game over the past 20 years more than he did. Over that span, Pac had more imitators than anybody Id ever seen.

Rap fans were trying to find the next Pac was like basketball fans were trying to find the next Jordan.

Do you honestly think a guy like DMX would've had the success he had if not for Pac's death? Intentional or not, people looked at him, and later on 50 Cent, as "The Next Pac". ? , Ja Rule's punk ass tried so hard to be in that category, but he couldnt get the sales or respect, so he started making love songs and STILL tried to be Pac.

When's the last time you havent heard an up a coming gangsta rapper compared to Pac? Matter of fact, when's the last time you havent heard an up a coming gangsta rapper list Pac as a direct influence?

When you think about it, the fact that he's been able to influence so many people over 15 years after his death is pretty amazing.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    edited April 2012
    Options

u

it was noted that he didn't have none of that stuff he was rapping about. I guess biggie invented "flash and false tales"

one of the first hit rap records was a aerosmith song remade by run dmc called walk this way. not to mention since you're from Seattle baby got back was also a sample from a song called technicolor

the majority of the wu tang "jacked" their names from kung fu flicks (old ? bastard, master killer) to name a few.

Now you are being intellectually dishonest Do more people know pac as Makaveli or Tupac Shakur? Did Tupac Become
    Famous off of someone else name or Alias or his real Name??? Game wise they spit to different things directions and shots at the same time. That said the pop direction went from ghetto reporter to fantasy land Biggie stayed on fantasy island in his lyrics he even had his own version of Tattoo in lil cease. There have always been pop songs and brag raps you are right but as you kats have pointed out a number of times noone did it better or more successfully then Biggie everyone else that stayed in that lane was a flash in the pan and not heard from after their inital hit. Puffy and did not just sample like is a foundation of the game he just took the whole instrumental and put biggie over it on some of his biggest hits which is now a common practice not the same as sampling. How do you brigaders go from Biggie being the most quoted and the biggest influence on all these rappers in some threads to being offended when someone agrees with this and points out the details of how his impact is still felt???

I swear you children are confused from all the revision and spinning you do...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options

u

Now you are being intellectually dishonest Do more people know pac as Makaveli or Tupac Shakur? Did Tupac Become
    Famous off of someone else name or Alias or his real Name???  Game wise they spit to different things directions  and shots at the same time. That said the pop direction went from ghetto reporter to fantasy land Biggie stayed on fantasy island in his lyrics he even had his own version of Tattoo in lil cease. There have always been pop songs and brag raps you are right but as you kats have pointed out a number of times noone did it better or more successfully then Biggie everyone else that stayed in that lane was a flash in the pan and not heard from after their inital hit. Puffy and did not just sample like is a foundation of the game he just took the whole instrumental and put biggie over it on some of his biggest hits which is now a common practice not the same as sampling. How do you brigaders go from Biggie being the most quoted and the biggest influence on all these rappers in some threads to being offended when someone agrees with this and points out the details of how his impact is still felt???

I swear you children are confused from all the revision and spinning you do...
    The point isn't whether "more people know Pac as makaveli" it's the fact that you used biggie claiming an alias as a negative, when rappers before biggie were using aliases that came from somewhere else word to snoop "jacking" his name from a cartoon character. Biggie is more known as "notorious big" than "frank white". 

Biggie and Pac while obviously different do have some similarity. Both exploited negativity in some aspect, biggie with machine gun funk and tupac with I get around both rappers exaggerated in their music. You wouldn't be honest with yourself if you think pac spoke nothing but truth 100% in his rhymes. 

If biggie had "tattoo" then what you call the outlaws the village people? 

Please quote someone from the ic that said no one made pop songs more successfully than biggie? 

I didn't know there were rules to what is considered good sampling and bad sampling. By that logic Warren g and Nate doggs classic Regulate is bad since they really didn't change the beat. Or how about ice cube today was a good day they didn't change the beat on that one either. So does cube and Warren g get discredited too or is it only puffy and biggie fault? 

Biggie is arguably one of the most quoted emcees ever, but you twisting things around is disingenuous.
  • TheKillerTruth
    TheKillerTruth Members Posts: 139
    Options
    @Jamaica @SolomantheWise you two must be the most well informed people i know on IC dis is not uh joke i was readin what yall said and both of yall put up one hell of uh good arguement for both sides dat i dnt even knw who 2 side with ? damn yall knw alot
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Oka lets be honest rappers use other peoples ? constantly if you wanna be accurate aint ? new hit hip hop since big daddy kane also folks holla abot rakem or whatever his name is but you can trace his style back to KRS-ONE one of the offical people who can say they helped make hip hop what it is 2day kool-mo-dee was the 1st battle rapper with his style of who rocked the crowd the most that ll cool j also borrowed or uses pac&biggie did not make anything new especially when guys like N.W.A&the real 1st rappers in hip hop started all the trends we see and use 2day no matter how watered down or changed we try 2 make it

Smh @ "Rakim or whatever his name is..."

And Rakim (of Eric B. & Rakim) came out the same year as KRS-One.

Everything else you said is incoherently put together.
  • Leah_Bonita
    Leah_Bonita Members Posts: 839 ✭✭✭
    Options
    lol dat ? stupid but anyway people really dont talk about krs-one like they do rakim
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    Tough call.....

But you gotta look at what each of them did for their era during the time they lived & how those eras helped craft & impact todays era.

Big influenced hiphop through his lyrical ability, MANY of the game's rappers have borrowed from Big's book of rhymes & some have built whole careers off it (Im not gonna name names I'd think it's pretty obvious who LOLOL). Thing is Big's rhyme blueprint was too intricate for ? to decipher so instead u got these watered down versions.

Pac influenced Hiphop by bringing social commentary and passion to the game. But where Pac wanted to go with it and how it got interpreted are 2 diff't things, but that's kind of Pac's fault for not wanting to live long enough to see it through. So instead ? glorified what Pac did which led to the early-mid 2000s and a period where being a thug was desirable and "cool".

Lil Wayne on the other hand is the impact of what the previous 2 did and how it became without their presence to see it through. Wayne is the ridiculously watered down version of what Big & Pac should have been there to prevent.

Now as for the question of WHO influenced Hiphop more ? IMO Tupac. When Pac died from 1998 to 2007 the game was AALLL about being a real ? and a gangster. From Ja Rule, to 50 Cent, to Cam'ron/Dipset, Jay-Z, Boosie, Jeezy, T.I., etc. For 10 years straight that imagery of being a thug, the oppressed savage young black male who will do anything to win was considered the "in" thing of the moment.

at this point though do you still feel that way with music Honestly? In Drake, Jay Z, Kanye, Nicki, Wayne, B.O.B., Kid Cudi, Big Sean, Rick Ross, Jeezy,etc... WHo do you hear more of in there musical Styles/beats Biggie or Pac???

Neither. Biggie and Pac weren't polar opposites because Pac was multifaceted. Actually, the fact that most of the rappers you named try to change the pace of their records speaks more to Pac's creative formula than Biggie's playa-mafioso-playa-mafioso-etc pattern.
  • $MoneyMakinMF$
    $MoneyMakinMF$ Members Posts: 75
    Options
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    How is Wayne on this list?

^^^^^^ same thing i was thinking

it would be a Lil Wayne & the ? he's talkin abt if its wasnt for Pac..... period
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If anyone can name 10 decent rappers that have never used a Big line/reference or an influenced flow I will be shocked.....

In terms of rap Biggie has influenced hiphop like no other since his passing.....