Miyamoto Wants New Link to the Past

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in IllGaming

Could we see a return to the SNES Zelda?

Shigeru Miyamoto wants to see a new Zelda game in the style of A Link to the Past for the SNES. When recently asked whether he was still intent on porting the SNES title as a 3D classic for the Nintendo 3DS, the legendary designer indicated he had a more original approach in mind.

"I think the answer would be the same if we're talking about just porting," Miyamoto told Edge in a recent interview, "but I think I'd be even more interested in creating something new maybe based on, or starting from, A Link To The Past. I think it's important to bring some really new software."

Miyamoto went on to discuss that whether a 2D Zelda game ultimately manifests itself as a remake or an entirely new adventure depends on the directors available to him. Miyamoto noted some directors would be able to do "something great" with a fresh retro approach, but others would need to "take a more remake approach to the title." Miyamoto specifically highlighted director Koichi Kawamoto, who helped create the WarioWare series and the 3DS's Find Mii games, as likely having "very important role in the future."

For months we've known that Miyamoto has had his eye on The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, contemplating some sort of remake or enhanced port for the Nintendo 3DS. Late last year, Eiji Aonuma confirmed the acclaimed SNES title was still something Miyamoto had in mind.

"Well actually, even Mr. Miyamoto himself has been talking recently about going back to the 2D Zelda games," Aonuma said back in November. "In particular the ones that were designed with multiple levels to the world like A Link to the Past, and taking those 2D graphics and recreating them in 3D so that you could get a sense for the depth of those worlds."

With A Link to the Past being a topic of conversation for over a year, is this something we'll see in the near future? Might it be something Nintendo is ready to reveal at E3 2012? We're less than two months away…

Comments

• Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Options
    yeah I read this, but haven't they dropped like several Link to the past style games on the gameboys/ds? The minish cap was a great game on the GBA. I know a capcom team made a couple for them on GB

? would be epic on the wii U
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not being able to play any Zelda games is the only thing I miss about not owning a Nintendo system since the SNES.
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Options
    man u missed out on some classicssssss , I played the first on Nes, A link to the past, Ocarina of time, Majora's Mask, the Windwaker and the minish cap....missed out on the twlight one on gamecube which a lot of cats seem to regard as one of the best though.

might be makin a comeback once the Wii U comes with Zelda