DO FANS HAVE A RIGHT TO CRITICIZE THE ATHLETES?

Options
SupremeXXV
SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
For about two weeks now, First Take has been having this debate about the media's right to criticize athletes in pro sports without having experience in said sport...A couple of different people have shared their opinion on the topic and I wanted to hear what some of you cats had to say...I share my opinion on sports (you know in the barbershop, chilling with friends and family), but I've never played sports in school @ all, but I played in the street and ? ...I don't get personal by questioning a ? 's heart or ? like that, but if he/she plays like a scrub I'll point it out...What ya'll think? Do fans/media have the right to be critical?

Comments

• cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Criticizing their game, as far as how they play whatever sport they're in, is one thing.

Criticizing everything the person does outside of the sport is another (especially if it doesn't pertain to you).

That's where a line should be drawn.

Plus, a lot of sportswriters/t.v personalities hold grudges against athletes for petty things.

@numbaz, that sig pic is hypnotizing.

I couldn't even get my thoughts in order.
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Athletes need to stop being sensitive ? , and continue to do what they did to start making millions in the first place.
    How they handle criticism says alot about them.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Athletes out here dealing with emotions like ? . Analysts/journalists too.
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell if they do what they're supposed to do they wouldn't have to worry about criticism
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If a athlete being paid millions and aint even tryin or dont care in his performance on/off da court then hell yea fans who put money into the sport deserve to criticize u
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why do these athletes have a job in the first place? The fans who pay money to watch them play, buy their jerseys, pay money to send their kids to their summer camps, etc. So of course fans should have an opinion on an athletes LEVEL OF PLAY. Now anything non related to their sport no that's the player's personal business and is not subject to criticism.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    We really don't - HOWEVER - the Players, coaches, owners, etc should thank ? that we do. Everything that's successful is highly critiqued. And it's a good thing that fans are constantly arguing about players/teams, etc.

When was the last time you heard two dudes - or women for that matter - arguing about a WNBA player or team? Right. And how is the WNBA doing financially?

To tell a fan that he can't criticize Kobe or Lebron is like saying I should just shut up and eat at a restaurant that I don't like because I'm not master chef myself.

• In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since we pay money to go to games, for cable to watch it on t.v, and buying jerseys. Yes.
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol at telling people to stop being sensitive, most of ya'll ? be ready to fight someone if they look at you wrong much less millions of people trying you.

Criticize a person game yes, criticizing someones character and holding grudges no (Barry Bonds). These media members have hidden agendas, why do you think they went in on Bonds and Tiger Woods like that when ? popped off.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    lol at telling people to stop being sensitive, most of ya'll ? be ready to fight someone if they offend your favorite player.

*Fixed.

But somehow it's wrong for a player to be offended themselves?
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any grown man who even cares what athletes do off the pitch/field/court is most likely a loser/homosexual. I didn't care about Tiger before the cheating scandal and I give even less of a ? now. Unless it has something to do with uplifting the community (black especially) somehow, I really don't care
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes you have a right since you pay to watch it and what not, but if you don't play the sport, then chances are your opinion sucks and should be take lightly.
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The media, yes. They get paid to do it.

The fans, yes. they pay to see it.

No different than being critical of musicians or actors or any other kind of entertainer. I've never played an instrument in my life. But I know nickelback sucks.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options

edit: damn near everybody already said what i said lol
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cause i cant make macaroni and cheese, i cant tell somebody else theirs taste ? ?

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    In Lamar Odom case yes... I don't care what problems you were going through... You don't take 8mill and leave like that and expect us to not say something... This all started because Skip couldnt handle someone doing
    to him what be does to everyone else... You can't hide behind your title forever...
  • Cosmic_Cannon
    Cosmic_Cannon Members Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Criticizing their game, as far as how they play whatever sport they're in, is one thing.

Criticizing everything the person does outside of the sport is another (especially if it doesn't pertain to you).

That's where a line should be drawn.

Plus, a lot of sportswriters/t.v personalities hold grudges against athletes for petty things.

@numbaz, that sig pic is hypnotizing.

I couldn't even get my thoughts in order.

/thread
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, and these athletes are paid so well they shouldn't give a ? .