A Question or Two For Cheap Seats Team Fans....

Options
Peezy_Jenkins
Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
1. How do u all feel about fans who call themselves "Player Fans". They don't have an allegiance to a team, they just are a fan of the game, want to see a good game, and maybe at times wanna see a particular player or two do well.

2. How do u all feel about fans who change teams with their favorite players. For Example: Kenny's favorite player is Lebron, Lebron was drafted in Cleveland, and he was Hollering GO CLEVELAND, but now that Lebron is on the heat he is chanting GO HEAT!. Is he a Heat Fan or is just a Lebron fan?

What do u think of each of these types of fans, are they bandwagoners, team hoppers, do they disgust u as die hard fans of ur particular team?

Chime in.

Comments

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am somewhat that way towards baseball. I have two teams. But in the end I just want to see a good baseball game.

I was like that for a long time with NBA. I was a Shaq fan so when he went to the Lakers. I was a lakers fan. He left I was a Heat fan. After that though, that was it. Hornets all day!!!!!!!!!!
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both of those type of fans don't get my respect. Once you choose a team that's your team for life imo. Through the bad years and the glory years.
  • FroHawke
    FroHawke Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    1.I think thats what every fan is(even die hards) to an extent. We are all fans of any sport we follow a team in, we just want the team to do well. But even the most die hard fan likes to see a good game, provided his team wins of course.

2. I think that type of fanhood is more acceptable below the ages of 15 or so. Kids will always follow the player more initially, it takes time for allegiance to a *team* to grow. But hey, if you're a fan of a player, so what? In the end you're rooting for the player, as long as you're honest about it....I see no problem with it. I'm no Panther fan, but I try to catch their games because of Cam Newton.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The BDB wrote: »
    Both of those type of fans don't get my respect. Once you choose a team that's your team for life imo. Through the bad years and the glory years.

this is how i feel even though i find myself more rooting for individuals than teams, feel like im tied to my teams for life
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont take those type of fans seriously. When Pippen left the Bulls he became the enemy, the same with Frank Thomas. I dont see myself being a fan of a team outside Chicago
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grew up in a city that didn't have a basketball team till I was in HS so I never had a fav team.

Oh well.

I dont scream go heat or go Lakers. But lebron and Kobe is my fav players.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shots fired at miami heat fans/ mumo
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options

Been a Heat fan since the 90s before Zo and Riley came down here. Maybe you're speaking to USMarine3
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saints, LSU, and the Braves been my teams since I was born.

Don't have a basketball team though don't know why just don't.

And nobody on here every seen me type go (insert any basketball team)
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Been a Heat fan since the 90s before Zo and Riley came down here. Maybe you're speaking to USMarine3

especially but my comments were not just reserved for the board
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate every ? that likes the Heat bcuz of Bron..
    It is what it is tho..
    The only way its acceptable in my eyes is uf you grew up with no teams in your nearby area so you just went with whoever was hot at the time..
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate every ? that likes the Heat bcuz of Bron..
    It is what it is tho..
    The only way its acceptable in my eyes is uf you grew up with no teams in your nearby area so you just went with whoever was hot at the time..

I have a guy like that at my job. He was a Cavs fan because of Bron and now he is a Heat fan for the same reason. It is like that for his football team too. He likes Vick so he went from a Falcons fan to a Eagles fan now.
  • momanpr100
    momanpr100 Members Posts: 482 ✭✭✭
    Options
    i cant respect a person who follows a player over a team. i was a bulls fan cause of jordan, but i stuck wit them thru all the losing, same with the cowboys i was a fan when they was winning super bowls but i still stuck wit them thru all the losing. i cant possibly see myself rooting for another team, its just sickening to me.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i've only rooted for the bulls and bears my entire team. i don't have a problem with people who switch teams with there favorite player because i am guilty of that in baseball. i've never rooted for the white soxs (even though i cool with them when they win because my dad is a white soxs) and i've always hated the cubs. i root for whatever team a-rod is on because thats my favorite player.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1 if you hot a fan of a team then i can't be mad at you. as long as it's stated that you dont' really root for a certain team but just players.

2. ? ? . once you pick a team you pick a team for life.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Player fans can be annoying because their bias often hinders their ability to objectively analyze something that has happened in a game, season, etc. If you engage in convos with them at times the tone swings from honest and intelligent discussion or analysis to irrational caping and blaming.

I couldn't wait for last season to be over so these super casual Broncos (Tebow really, not Broncos) followers could shut the ? up and stop commenting on the team.

To be honest, fans who change teams gives me an initial feeling of disgust as a sports fan, but I'm starting to realize how a lot of people do things like become fans of a team or an artist, etc. For social reasons. Had someone tell me he would become a Nats fan just yesterday. I'm like really? Things like that seem foreign to me, but his thought process was more like "i'm here now so I may as well engage in their ? ."

Some of these things may bother me as a sports fan, but I am aware of what little importance this stuff is in the grand scheme of things. So its not THAT serious.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The worst feeling is when bandwagon fans are having a convo about YOUR team. I saw that ? yesterday and was disgusted. I been a heat fan since 04-05'.

I got nothing against fans who have no fav team but like certain players because sometimes they are the most objective/non-biased.

But like i said before, hawks fan at work called me a front runner. I deadass wanted to get fired over ? him up because one thing you do not do is call real fans bandwagoners. Thats how i knew emm holla was gonna get ? when truth writer said that to him lol
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Im only a Bulls fan and a Bears fan and also a Cubs fan. ? the Sox. and to be a fan of a team only cuz of a ? that is on there is ? .
  • yroholla
    yroholla Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't fully agree with how bandwagon fans move, but truth be told the sports world wouldn't be nearly as successful without bandwagon fans....they the reason why Kobe and LeBron get cheers at away games....
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If ur from Chicago and ur not a Bulls fan... You aint a real ?
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheIraq wrote: »
    If ur from Chicago and ur not a Bulls fan... You aint a real ?

What if being a real ? not on there radar?
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Been a Celtics fan since 01 cuz I wanted to model my game after Paul Pierce ima be there once he retired
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? I look like being a fan of management? Lol y'all sound stupid as ? .
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I ride for my team ? individuals..respect the colors
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bandwagon ? get no respect

If you grew up in a city without a team then its cool. I bet you most ? who are heat fans now wasn't fans when they won 15 games a couple years ago.