Should Brees sit out entire season?

Options
FucktheIC
FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Should Drew Brees Sit Out The Entire 2012 Season?
Cork Gaines | Apr. 24, 2012, 5:19 PM | 129 |

inShare

A A A

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
Drew Brees has not reported to the New Orleans Saints' voluntary workouts as he and the team continue to negotiate a long-term contract. But considering the two sides are so far apart, as well as the current state of the franchise, it would not be a surprise if Brees is weighing the possibility of holding out for the entire season.
The Saints have placed the franchise tag on Brees, which means he cannot negotiate with other teams. If he signs the franchise tender, something he refuses to do, he would play the 2012 season under a one-year contract.
Brees, who was reportedly "livid" over receiving the franchise tag, has plenty of incentive to hold out for the the best possible deal. Head coach Sean Payton is suspended for the entire season. And several key defensive players are likely facing suspensions for their roles in the bounty program.
Brees is 33, and has missed just one game in the last seven seasons. So there would also be the advantage of giving his body some extra rest as the Saints regroup and make another run in 2013.
At this point, the Saints' only hope at salvaging a sinking season is to give Brees whatever he wants. Otherwise, he might join his coach on the sideline for the 2012 season.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/saints-should-drew-brees-sit-out-entire-nfl-season-2012-4#ixzz1t0czC1AT

It's not a bad idea. Spend the year resting. He doesn't have anything to prove.

Comments

• huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he wouldnt do that to the team tho
  • ShadyWorldOrder
    ShadyWorldOrder Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of vets dont go to the voluntary workouts, what his salary on the franchise tag though
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I was drew brees I would say ? the saints

Them ? would still be the aints without him
  • tru_m.a.c
    tru_m.a.c Members Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    word brees is bigger than the saints

jump ship now....any more legal problems and that team is completely done
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think his franchise tag at 18 mil
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He won't have to, just threatening to do so will get him his money he has all the leverage right now.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's better off sitting with the situation his team is going through. For them to pay the defense to knockout players in the game instead of worrying about how they're going to pay a QB who resurrected the team and got them their first SB is some ? I dont understand.
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea Brees has all the leverage and they gonna need him this season with the HC suspended so I cant see them not paying him
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No. What would be the point?
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think he should. Granted he has valid reasons. But if his tag is 18 mil like someone mentioned above, that's alot of money to leave on the table.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL! at the Failcon fans dream come true if that was to happen.
    Mattlanta and Ryan Cameron would have a parade down Peachtree street.
    The reason he is so mad is if anyone remember his exit from San Diego, he was hurt while under the franchise tag.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wouldn't make sense, dude ain't no spring chicken. He may be the best QB in the division, but he's also the oldest --- BY A LOT. He'll be 34 at the beginning of the 2013 season, and most top QBs start to fall off at that age.

If he does, he'll regret that ? till the day he dies. The hardest thing for players to deal with when they retire is knowing that they'll never play again even though they've been playing all of their lives up til then.

He shouldn't get soft on the negotiations either. Other than Peyton Manning, he's the most valuable QB to his team in the league.

The Aint's would be the Dolphins without him.

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he would be selfish as hell to do that.... NO took a chance on him after his shoulder injury... He deserves a long term deal tho but 18 mil a year aint petty
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    The reason he is so mad is if anyone remember his exit from San Diego, he was hurt while under the franchise tag.
    Refresh on how his late mother was trying to extort money from Brees. Or something to that effect. I know he hated her. And I think it was over money

• Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Drew Brees (next to a healthy Peyton Manning) is the most important player on any team, and the Saints wouldn't win 3 games without him at the helm.
    Pay the man already.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Wouldn't make sense, dude ain't no spring chicken. He may be the best QB in the division, but he's also the oldest --- BY A LOT. He'll be 34 at the beginning of the 2013 season, and most top QBs start to fall off at that age.

If he does, he'll regret that ? till the day he dies. The hardest thing for players to deal with when they retire is knowing that they'll never play again even though they've been playing all of their lives up til then.

He shouldn't get soft on the negotiations either. Other than Peyton Manning, he's the most valuable QB to his team in the league.

The Aint's would be the Dolphins without him.

Low blow...lol
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @ hustle marsallas.....you thinking short when u should be thinking long....it isn't so much about leaving 18 mill on the table as it is wanting some long term security.....breed is in his prime .....playing great....and at the very moment the organization is decimated.....if he does have to sit out I don't believe it will be that long before the saints come to there senses
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ya he should sit out. And if they don't respond to that right, he oughta go to another team.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He can't sit out the whole season because you have to he on the roster for a certain amount of games to accumulate a season. If he does he just would have to repeat the year.

And the deal is getting done thats why they be redoing everybody else deals so they can have cap space.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He can't sit out the whole season because you have to he on the roster for a certain amount of games to accumulate a season. If he does he just would have to repeat the year.

And the deal is getting done thats why they be redoing everybody else deals so they can have cap space.

Ya'll only got 4.7 mill in cap space. I guess the perk is you're not really draftin anybody so you don't gotta spend that money.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ya'll only got 4.7 mill in cap space. I guess the perk is you're not really draftin anybody so you don't gotta spend that money.

Vilma just gave back 2.2 mil on Monday! Dont know if that maoney is in that cap space.
    matt- wrote: »
    caddo man wrote: »
    Refresh on how his late mother was trying to extort money from Brees. Or something to that effect. I know he hated her. And I think it was over money

Yeah I remember that. He sued her when she put him in her election posters to get elected for something in Texas. But that has nothing to do with this thread!????
  • FroHawke
    FroHawke Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hard to say. Loomis is himself under a lot of heat right now(from the Feds no less) so I think sitting out through training camp will get him his contract anyway.

Saints are idiots for letting it potentially get to this area though.