Black woman's "STAND YOUR GROUND" plea rejected....faces mandatory 20 years

Options
d.green
d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
Marissa Alexander faces a mandatory minimum sentence of twenty years in prison after being convicted in 2011 of three counts of aggravated assault with no intent to ? or harm. In 2010, during an argument with her second husband at their home in Jacksonville, she fired a bullet into the ceiling of their home. Alexander asserted that she fired the weapon to ward off an attack from her husband. Alexander shot no one nor was anyone injured during the incident.

During Marissa Alexander’s trial, a motion to invoke Florida’s stand-your-ground law on her behalf was denied by Circuit Court Judge Elizabeth Senterfitt. Since February 2011, Marissa Alexander, the mother of three children, has been behind bars.

She didnt even ? her husband....she just shot the gun and they won't give her the SYG benefit.
damn

NO BAIL either.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#/video/crime/2012/04/28/pkg-tuchman-stand-your-ground-defense-rejected.cnn

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/254334/483/CNN-Marissa-Alexander-in-Her-Own-Words

Comments

• Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Read about this earlier, a damn shame considering the ? that will ensue in the martin case
  • afrobanditt
    afrobanditt Members Posts: 54
    Options
    lmao and they said Zimmerman being let go had nothing to do with race
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Dreicer did not work on her case, but said under Florida law, after Stand Your Ground was dismissed and she was convicted, Alexander is looking at a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 years.

For firing a warning shot into the ceiling of her own house? WTF? She would have gotten less time if she killed him.
    Seems like she argued, left the room, came back, and fired off a shot:
    “The defendant had split seconds to decide if she was in fear for her life and ultimately the judge found that there were other things she could have done like leave the residence through a front door or a back door,” said defense attorney Jesse Dreicer.

That ? played herself:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5hjiV7u8XQ
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't get it. How did they even justify an aggravated assault charge? Did the sound from the gun going off indoors hurt everyone's ears or something? That ? doesn't make sense.
  • d.green
    Options
    'mandatory" 20 years?
    DAYUUUM
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Florida is a garbage state.
  • d.green
    Options
    I don't get it. How did they even justify an aggravated assault charge? Did the sound from the gun going off indoors hurt everyone's ears or something? That ? doesn't make sense.

A judge ruled that Alexander was actually in the wrong, saying that she could have exited to safety through one of the other doors or windows in the house instead of crossing paths with her husband in the kitchen.

http://loop21.com/life/marissa-alexander-stand-your-ground-against-black-people
  • DreadsRIGHT
    DreadsRIGHT Members Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    Options
    This surprising?

Keep acting like everything is all good and posting up pictures in hoodies with skittles on facebook. Its obvious the people that are in control of the law don't give a ? about you or your black skin..

Boogie Woogie ? , boogie woogie
  • Mr.Audigier216
    Mr.Audigier216 Members Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man that's ? up
  • d.green
    Options
    Her ex-husband Lincoln B. Alexander has set up a website to help fight to free her. The mother of three was arrested nine days after her pre-mature baby was born. That baby was still in the Intensive care unit when she was allegedly confronted by her angry husband.
    damn...
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to ? ; 784.021(a), a third degree felony.

Pretty straightforward charge:
    (1) An "assault" is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.

(1) An "aggravated assault" is an assault:
    (a) With a deadly weapon without intent to ? ; or
    (b) With an intent to commit a felony.
    (2) Whoever commits an aggravated assault shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
  • TheFix
    TheFix Members Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There has to be more to this.
  • TheFix
    Options
    How the ? can you have an aggravated assault with no intent to ? or harm?
  • d.green
    Options

On a blog supportting Alexander’s cause, she explains:
    In an unprovoked jealous rage, my husband violently confronted me while using the restroom. He assaulted me, shoving, strangling and holding me against my will, preventing me from fleeing all while I begged for him to leave. After a minute or two of trying to escape, I was able to make it to the garage where my truck was parked, but in my haste to leave I realized my keys were missing. I tried to open the garage but there was a mechanical failure. I was unable to leave, trapped in the dark with no way out. For protection against further assault I retrieved my weapon; which is registered and I have a concealed weapon permit. Trapped, no phone, I entered back into my home to either leave through another exit or obtain my cell phone.

He and my two stepsons were supposed to be exiting the house thru the front door, but he didn’t leave. Instead he came into the kitchen that leads to the garage and realized I was unable to leave. Instead of leaving thru the front door where his vehicle was parked outside of the garage, he came into the kitchen by himself. I was terrified from the first encounter and feared he came to do as he had threatened. The weapon was in my right hand down by my side and he yelled, “? I will ? you!”, and charged toward me. In fear and desperate attempt, I lifted my weapon up, turned away and discharged a single shot in the wall up in the ceiling.
  • TheFix
    Options
    Aint no 3rd degree felony on earth gonna get you 20. They stacked her indictment, discharging into a hab. 3 counts of agg assault because the kids are there, improper handling of a firearm, child endangerment. Thats all i can think of right now. But dont believe the hype. Most of that will get dropped. She will be tried for the assault, and no jury will convict based on the facts, and the testimony of the husband. He wont send her to jail and have to be responsible for those kids. A marginally good lawyer will ingest the ? out of this case, and get some pub too. Plus, if she is convicted, there are so many mitigating circumstances, the jugde will probably give her a light sentencr, suspend it, and give her community control(probation).
  • TheBadOne
    TheBadOne Members Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    Options
    salon.com/2012/04/11/when_stand_your_ground_fails/

A different story where a black person went to jail for defending himself.
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is no justice, Just us fighting against a wicked system.
  • Amotekun
    Amotekun Members Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SMH @ Black folks who still think this ? is not systemic.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thing is, she made it out and left. No keys, alright. Garage doesn't open? Um okay. What about a side door to the garage?

Something's missing or not right in this story. Either way 20 years is extremely high but the law is the law.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to ? ; 784.021(a), a third degree felony.

Pretty straightforward charge:
    (1) An "assault" is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.

(1) An "aggravated assault" is an assault:
    (a) With a deadly weapon without intent to ? ; or
    (b) With an intent to commit a felony.
    (2) Whoever commits an aggravated assault shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Damn, well by that definition I guess she is guilty, but come one that's a crazy definition. Basically, under that definiton if you ever issue a threat at all with something that can be perceived as a weapon in your hand, you'd be guilty of aggravated assault and subject to 20 years. That's harsh.

• Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Now this is something to riot over...if she takes one toe into a prison all hell should break loose in that town.Smmfh@ these laws.
  • Chef_Taylor
    Options
    Plies was right,they want to give a ? 100 yrs for petty ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Let's think about this ? for second.

Say you're a father, and you find out your teenage daughter's boyfriend hit her. So you grab a bat, go outside, find him, and tell him you'll knock his head off if he ever touches her again. By the letter of that law, you've committed and aggravated assault and deserve 20 years in jail. How does that even make sense?
  • Chef_Taylor
    Options
    Well if thats the states law then he broke it...but the people passing these dumb laws should be the target of questions.How the ? you get 15 years for trying to defend your life even though you didnt hurt anyone or take a life in the process...i just dont understand.
  • d.green
    Options
    But a dude who actually kills an unarmed kid who he chose to follow...walks free, then takes 45+ days to be charged, and then gets bailed out a few days later.