Who had more hype coming in..............50 Cent in 2003 or Drake in 2009?

Options
Maalik
Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in The Reason
50-Cent-Is-The-Future-Back-Cover.jpg
50centgetrich.jpg

sofargonefrontfinal.jpg
drake-thank-me-later-album-cover.jpg

50 clearly outsold Drake but, Drake was everywhere in 09 & comparing sales might be a tad misleading considering the climate now.

Comments

• H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50-cent had more hype because of the climate during that era with the Mixtape Vs Mainstream dichotomy plus he was going to the #1 selling rapper in HipHop and the most popular producer, and the best-oiled machine and he was beefing with everybody so the hype was extra-crazy.

Once the hype died down everybody seen 50-Cent he wasnt exactly the antidote for Ja-Rule and he was just another mediocre lyricist with sing-songy hooks and a background story that you could sell to the suburbs, which is why he fell off drastically instead of maintaing a platinum fan base like LiL Wayne has done.

Drake had the luxury of already being a star, and having Jewish connections, and most of all signing to the Hottest label and hottest rapper in the game behind LiL Wayne, plus he got to play off that Mullatto-Obama energy that was crazy around that time, HipHop was starved for some new blood and sex-symbol without the ? -thug aesthetic and that's what Drake gave the game, above-average lyrics with sing-songy hooks and heavy doses of catering to the brauds.

Quick lil recap but I gots to go with 50-Cent on this one.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dude wrapped it up nicely, but 50 had way more hype. I remember everybody online and offline knew who 50 Cent was before he dropped. Drake's ? didn't exist beyond the internet down here, so he only seemed hyped if you were on the internet.

There's a reason everybody does mixtapes right now.
  • KINGEC
    KINGEC Members Posts: 7,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Def. 50 had the more hype.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    If was 50 and it wasnt even close. He made Snoop's hype look minor.
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea gotta go with 50, not only did he have more hype, but the initial buzz lasted a lot longer..

Drake dropped Best I Ever Had, had hella hype, but lost a lot of his buzz before his debut even dropped..compared to 50 dropping hit after hit from Wanksta to the Massacre dropping..
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO ONE, and I repeat, NO ONE will EVER have the hype that 50 had EVER AGAIN.

I still remember the aura around this ? was like the second coming of PAC to A LOT of people.

Here in Cali it felt like 50 was an LA cat- that's how much play he was getting. I remember going to high school and cats were like "50 gonna take over the game." On the way to our football games, the entire team was UNANIMOUSLY voting to bump 50's ? in the team bus on the way to our away games.

I remember on TRL and 106, 21 questions was on for over 50 days, a record for both shows...

50 Cent's 2003 hype>>>>>>>>>> Lil' Wayne's 2008 hype>>>>>>>>>> Drake's 2009 hype.

But things are different now. This was before high speed internet ? up record sales and when Majors used to push their artists to the fullest.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 had more hype and way better music.

GRODT>>Take Care and TML
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not even close 50 had more hype in 03 by miles ? was bumping 4 or 5 joints from that song in the whip and at parties/social events and Discmans and boomboxes non stop across all segments of the hip hop population. He also got generation Y suburban kids male and female more into hip hop which wayne and many other rappers have capitalized off. From the time my parents moved up to a nicer part of town when i was 7 untill 2003 it was mostly my black friends ? with hip hop.....after 50 3/4ths of the town white or black or asian was ? with hip hop more.

The downfall of 50 was he made his best album first and never improved. He also got too cocky started to do some questionable things that spun into the lackluster 3rd album vs kanye and the kiddie prank ? in the ross beef days on thisis50. Regardless of what 50 puts out this year or next year he will never outshadow GRODT.
  • FucktheIC
    FucktheIC Members Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? skipped school to go buy GRODT.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 and it isnt even close. Man, he had everything on lock in 2003. I was in 8th grade then. I'll never forget everyone was bumpin GRODT. Its like he had this aura, you knew he was gonna be "that ? " in the rap scene.

Drake's buzz wasnt close. He dropped "Best I Ever Had" and he didnt capitalize on it.

I agree to an extent with the poster who said we'll never see another 50 Cent, which sucks
    I still got a lil hope that someone is gonna come along and have that same impact but in this era I doubt it
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the hype that 50 had shows how dumb and following minded people are... and fickle... with the right promotion ANY...AND I MEAN ANY BODY... can get that hype again....
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    FucktheIC wrote: »
    ? skipped school to go buy GRODT.
    Co-sign

I was in L.A. at that point of all places and I had to go to 3 different stores before I could get that ? .
    When I went back home, everybody I knew was jamming that ? . Used to hear it bumping trucks everyday after school for weeks.

From being the anti-Ja Rule
    To being shot 9 times
    To being backed by Em and Dre
    To "In Da Club" dominating

50 was selling records out of the ass. He destroyed Snoop's numbers for a debut artist despite only being released 5 days before the cut off date. Then he damn near put up the same numbers the next week.
  • JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    Options
    50 Cent by far.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JJ 1975 wrote: »
    50 Cent by far.

yep
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the hype that 50 had shows how dumb and following minded people are... and fickle... with the right promotion ANY...AND I MEAN ANY BODY... can get that hype again....

Is that so? So howcome there hasnt been ANYBODY to duplicate or go beyond that hype since?
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think this is highly arguable and neither of them hands down had more hype than the other coming in.

With 50, he had a huge hype on the mixtape circuit, but he gained a lot of momentum from that Shady/Aftermath connection. 50 had a spark and was huge in NYC, but the Shady/Aftermath connection balooned his buzz. Then you have him moving in on the space that DMX once occupied and Ja's more female friendly fan base.

Drake might have been on television, but far from being some huge superstar from Degrassi. He wasn't a household name until his music caught on. How many rappers have had a mixtape song reach #2? He wasn't even officially on Young Money/Cash Money/Universal when that song took off. Before Drake came on board, Young Money wasn't even established like that outside of Wayne. Outside of Wayne Cash Money hadn't had another big artist since Juve in '04. Drake came in the game in the lane of a 808's & Heartbreak era Kanye West and a Love Below era Andre 3000.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 Cent easily. A lot of casual fans didn't know who Drake was til Best I Ever Had hit the radio. Everybody and they momma know who 50 was. Even my grandma knew In Da Club.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2012
    Options
    I think this is highly arguable and neither of them hands down had more hype than the other coming in.

With 50, he had a huge hype on the mixtape circuit, but he gained a lot of momentum from that Shady/Aftermath connection. 50 had a spark and was huge in NYC, but the Shady/Aftermath connection balooned his buzz. Then you have him moving in on the space that DMX once occupied and Ja's more female friendly fan base.

Drake might have been on television, but far from being some huge superstar from Degrassi. He wasn't a household name until his music caught on. How many rappers have had a mixtape song reach #2? He wasn't even officially on Young Money/Cash Money/Universal when that song took off. Before Drake came on board, Young Money wasn't even established like that outside of Wayne. Outside of Wayne Cash Money hadn't had another big artist since Juve in '04. Drake came in the game in the lane of a 808's & Heartbreak era Kanye West and a Love Below era Andre 3000.

i feel the same. i think dudes is underselling Drake. i understand why people would say 50 because it was complete 50 cent mania everywhere you turned. problem is, even with all of that, the music tells a different story. Drake maybe didn't have the rags to riches primetime story like 50 but, Drake was on 11 #1 records between 2009 & 2010 & on 4 records that reached #2. The kid owned radio. The entire industry was on his ? .

"Best I Ever Had"
    "Forever"
    "Over"
    "Fancy"
    "Say Something"
    "Every Girl"
    "Bedrock"
    "I Invented Sex"
    "Right Above It"
    "Aston Martin Music"
    "What My Name w/ Rihanna"
    "Fall for your Type w/ Jamie Foxx"
    "Moment 4 Life w/ Nicki Minaj"
    "Money to Blow"
    "Successful"

That's not even including all of the ? he was on. That's just the number one records.

I feel like 50 revolutionized the mixtape game. He made it mainstream.
    I feel like Drake revolutionized the mixtape game too. Now ? are making mixtapes like they're albums.
  • TheFix
    TheFix Members Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The difference between 50 and drake is 50 came in with a craaaaaaaazy story. Very dramatic. Also, when 50 came in, his timing was crazy because Ja rule had the world on tilt with that singin ? . The other big stars was jay-z, and nas and they both had lackluster post classic performances. The world was clamorin for that gangsta ? . And 50 delivered in spades. Plus when you look at how the internet has exploded even in those 10 years since he really hit the scene. It's easy to get sidetracked because there's so much information out there now. When 50 blew, the internet wasn't even close to the way it is now. ? still had dial up. Roadrunner was a ? luxury.
  • Maalik
    edited April 2012
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    50 Cent easily. A lot of casual fans didn't know who Drake was til Best I Ever Had hit the radio. Everybody and they momma know who 50 was. Even my grandma knew In Da Club.

yeah. after In Da Club hit radio lol....
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    50 in '03 was like the hip hop version of michael jackson in his thriller days. I was in 7th grade when GRODT came out, and I remember this old suburban lunch lady singin "wanksta". When I witnessed that, I already knew this ? was a star. Everybody and they grandma wanted to be a G unit member. I couldn't go nowhere w/o hearin 50 whether it be school, parties, hood ? blastin his music from they whips, family bbq's, sports events etc.. Almost every song on that album was gettin regular radio play.

I don't remember nobody really talkin bout Drake around the time So Far Gone dropped, unless u were on blogs/internet and stuff. Most ? around the time SFG came out was on the Gucci Mane wave. People really started talkin bout Drake once "Best I Ever Had" started pickin up steam. Drake's buzz was at it's ? once "Forever" dropped. Not on the level of 50's but still big for a new artist.

While both had huge hype and changed the mixtape game in their own respective, unique ways, somethin bout 50 in 2003 was bigger than just hip hop. GRODT raised a whole generation. That was the first hip hop album I bought and alot of people my age say 50 was like one of the first rapper's they really understood or felt the impact of their music. The only thing that I remember hearin about just as much as 50 in '03 was Lebron and Chapelle's Show.