Did 50 Cent's emergence as a gun toting, rahrah, violent thug over west coast beats set NY back ?

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Legend in Two SportsPosts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in The Reason
it seems every since holmes came thru and told his rags to riches story NY has lost its identity, this is no shock thread I really wanna know do NY posters feel the same way ...........

Comments

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you lost me at west coast beats
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion. wrote: »
    *squints* .....

Set back ? WHO was running NY before that ? If it weren't for 50 Cent from 2002 to 2007 New York wouldn't have had ? . Hov retired and no one was checking for Nas. Cam was running ? but how u gon have a pink car driving, pink coat and shoes wearing ? to represent your city ? Who would u rather ? Curtis or Cam'ron ?

cam ron
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *squints* .....

Set back ? WHO was running NY before that ? If it weren't for 50 Cent from 2002 to 2007 New York wouldn't have had ? . Hov retired and no one was checking for Nas. Cam was running ? but how u gon have a pink car driving, pink coat and shoes wearing ? to represent your city ? Who would u rather ? Curtis or Cam'ron ?

cam>>>50
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Diplomats made me want to be from Harlem breh....

Outside of GRODT, i didn't give a ? about 50.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Most of the NY movements had a super-producer from the East in the middle.

BadBoy had the Hitmen
    Ruff Ryders had Swizz Beats
    D&D had Preemo
    Duck Down had Beat-Minerz
    Murder Inc had Irv Gotti (I know, he produces)
    The ROC had Just Blaze during their run
    Wu Tang had RZA
    Dip set had the HeatMakerz

Etc

Every one of those strong movements had a go-to guy on the boards and a signature sound but 50 was rapping on a lot of Dr Dre and Emenim production and G-Unit never had a signature NY sound like the other movements so yeah I think it hurt them somewhat but what hurt them the most was the beefing and the focus on image over lyricism.

• antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »

BadBoy had the Hitmen
    D&D had Preemo
    Wu Tang had RZA

Etc

Every one of those strong movements had a go-to guy on the boards and a signature sound but 50 was rapping on a lot of Dr Dre and Emenim production and G-Unit never had a signature NY sound like the other movements so yeah I think it hurt them somewhat but what hurt them the most was the beefing and the focus on image over lyricism.

true but gunit is also known for rhyming over grimey wutang style beats ... but def fif as a solo artist tho does have a west coast style sound track ... but the unit in my opinion stay rocking some grimey ny joints especially wutang sounding joints ....
  • antarticp
    antarticp Members Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

BadBoy had the Hitmen
    D&D had Preemo
    Wu Tang had RZA

Etc

side note looks like that change was prob needed tho ... the game always need someone to attack from a different approach ... the east was ruling production for a minute even to the point where west coast dudes were getting east coast production IE Ice Cube ... side note i never peeped that props on pointing this out .................... was fif the first east coast artist with west coast style production ????????? nas is the only artist that comes to mind and he actually just played a little bit with it he didnt make it his sound or anything like that ........
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options
    50 was more into southern styled beats than west coast.To me Dre always had a east coast influence with a west coast taste in samples.A couple tracks had a slight west coast feel, but not really.

Wanksta was southern,the flow to ? was southern.50 helped weaken NY by making beef w/ everybody and making beef cooler and having parts in taking out The Inc.The South blowing up is what made NY slow down.

The NY sound went out of style leaving 50 and other ? east coast acts out to dry like Saigon,Papoose,Joell before SH and a list of east Coast rappers who were left on the sidelines while ppl danced and Ricky bobbyed

Mobb Deep,MOP,Kool G rap,Onyx, and a whole bunch of ppl had gun touting lyrics before 50
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *squints* .....

Speaking of Cam , I miss the Dipset vs. Tru life rivalry , so many hilarious videos came from that .

• GeE-757
    GeE-757 Members Posts: 6,441
    edited April 2012
    Options
    how was woodface runnin ny n 02 when JA RULE was still a PLATINUM sellin artist n 02? i swear sum of yall is under a majik stik spell smh...but on topik woodface DRAMA QUEEN bitchmade attitude is wat ? 'd ny up ? his RAPZ beefin wit basically da whole ny while livin n CONNECTICUT is wat ? ;d up ny & ny has alwayz been aggressive about da KING spot but woodface took that ? 2 another level & ? ;d himself n da process cuz yeah he got rich fast snitchin but katz like J & DIDDY is still shittin on him & NAS is mo respect;d then him n da STREETZ lol..
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    even NY fans seem to forget how strong/relevant NY was before the destruction caused by 50 ....

Nas
    Jigga
    Cam'ron
    Diplomats
    Nore
    MobbDeep
    Lil Kim
    D-Block
    Styles
    Jadakiss
    Ja Rule
    Fat Joe
    Method Man
    Fabolous

everyone mentioned was relevent before 50 came thru and changed the way young listeners viewed the game....
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    Be$T_1 wrote: »
    even NY fans seem to forget how strong/relevant NY was before the destruction caused by 50 ....

Nas
    Jigga
    Cam'ron
    Diplomats
    Nore
    MobbDeep
    Lil Kim
    D-Block
    Styles
    Jadakiss
    Ja Rule
    Fat Joe
    Method Man
    Fabolous

everyone mentioned was relevent before 50 came thru and changed the way young listeners viewed the game....

Styles p gangster gentleman
    Ll cool j 10.   Platinum
    Nas godson
    Bust a rhymes it ain't safe no more
    JayZ blueprint 2
    Camron cone home with me
    Talib kweli quality (classic
    GZA legend of liquid swords
    Nas lost tapes
    Cornets true meaning
    Az Asiatic
    Krs one spiritual minded
    Boot camp click chosen few
    Swizzle beats ghetto stories
    Cool g rap the giancana story
    Noreen gods favorit
    State property 
    P diddy we invented the remix.    

15 diffent wu tang affiliates dropped projects
    Jarule the last temptation.  

Pass the courvesiier
    Oh boy, hey ma

Nas Stillmatic*

Sorry about the typo's copied it off notepad on the Iphone so the predicative text went wild but thats what NY HipHop looked like in 2002 before the destruction happened in 2003, all that in-fighting and bickering was just what the South needed so they could take over the game.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    trying to figure out this west coast beats thing.....or do you mean signing to aftermath, i didnt hear grodt and thought, thats some west coast ? rite there
  • H-Rap 180
    Options
    antarticp wrote: »

BadBoy had the Hitmen
    D&D had Preemo
    Wu Tang had RZA

Etc

side note looks like that change was prob needed tho ... the game always need someone to attack from a different approach ... the east was ruling production for a minute even to the point where west coast dudes were getting east coast production IE Ice Cube ... side note i never peeped that props on pointing this out .................... was fif the first east coast artist with west coast style production ????????? nas is the only artist that comes to mind and he actually just played a little bit with it he didnt make it his sound or anything like that ........

Grab your old G-Unit "Beg For Mercy" C.D.

Now look at the production credits.....I don't see a single producer from NY, all I see is Midwest production, Dr Dre and Emenim.

How can you have a credible NY movement and expect your city to stay on top when you do that??

That's like Manny Fresh not being the foundation of the Cash Money sound and instead they go get production from Dre, Quick and
    Big Hutch.

Yeah I know that ? sold like Hotcakes for 3 summers but look at the aftermath of what it did to NY.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Nas
    Jigga
    Cam'ron
    Diplomats
    Nore
    MobbDeep
    Lil Kim
    D-Block
    Styles
    Jadakiss
    Ja Rule
    Fat Joe
    Method Man
    Fabolous

Ll cool j 10.   Platinum
    Nas godson
    JayZ blueprint 2
    Camron cone home with me
    Nas lost tapes
    Cornets true meaning
    Az Asiatic
    Krs one spiritual minded
    Noreen gods favorit
    State property 

Pass the courvesiier
    Oh boy, hey ma

Nas Stillmatic*

Sorry about the typo's copied it off notepad on the Iphone so the predicative text went wild but thats what NY HipHop looked like in 2002 before the destruction happened in 2003, all that in-fighting and bickering was just what the South needed so they could take over the game.

exactly, all it takes is one well funded ? with cruel intentions to set a coast back, what its been like a decade now since the collapse of NY ........

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so what yall sayin is, 50 the reason nobody else from NY can make dope music?

I personally feel like all the artist coming out of NY are Biggie & Jay-Z clones
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ok so a mod has "sunk" this thread I see ............
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What exactly is NY's style?
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options

BadBoy had the Hitmen
    D&D had Preemo
    Wu Tang had RZA

Etc

I'm sorry OG H-Rap, but I don't care how many Yankee hats and Brooklyn t-shirts DJ Premier wears, the dude is Texas born and raised and his sound is heavily Jazz influenced. Dude is a Southern producer and his sound is ours, not the East Coast
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »

BadBoy had the Hitmen
    D&D had Preemo
    Wu Tang had RZA

Etc

I'm sorry OG H-Rap, but I don't care how many Yankee hats and Brooklyn t-shirts DJ Premier wears, the dude is Texas born and raised and his sound is heavily Jazz influenced. Dude is a Southern producer and his sound is ours, not the East Coast

his sound is New York, what are you talking about? That jazz influenced/jazz sampling sound is almost exclusively East Coast
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you can actally blame 50cent and gunit for killing NYC hiphop.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    *squints* .....

HAHA @ Barbie truck running anything. Cam a funny dude and a parody.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nas
    Jigga
    Cam'ron
    Diplomats
    Nore
    MobbDeep
    Lil Kim
    D-Block
    Styles
    Jadakiss
    Ja Rule
    Fat Joe
    Method Man
    Fabolous

Ll cool j 10.   Platinum
    Nas godson
    JayZ blueprint 2
    Camron cone home with me
    Nas lost tapes
    Cornets true meaning
    Az Asiatic
    Krs one spiritual minded
    Noreen gods favorit
    State property 

Pass the courvesiier
    Oh boy, hey ma

Nas Stillmatic*

exactly, all it takes is one well funded ? with cruel intentions to set a coast back, what its been like a decade now since the collapse of NY ........

Fif's early production matched the early south (Lil Jon, Lil Flip). The southern production change in 06 to 07 when those 808s club beats became a monster of its own. The same time when he fell off cause Wayne and Ross were picking up major steam at that time. But yeah, that ? is so true about 03.