Boxing is starting to get boring

Options
pennyda1
pennyda1 Members Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
Mayweather destroys cotto, Mosley damn near gets owned th whole fight, klitchco has been dominating....it's like every fight is damn near predictable

Comments

• Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just saw a ? get put on a stretcher in the boxing ring...mean while turned on a ufc fight and saw two grown men rolling all over the ground and one was in the fetal position...you think boxing is boring then change the channel.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
  • Meagan___Goodz
    Meagan___Goodz Members Posts: 53
    Options
    Go watch some of Gary Russel Jr highlights dude is far from boring.....the boy is the truth...and heavy weight and most of Floyd fights are boring.
  • TheIraq
    TheIraq Members Posts: 5,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mumo_X wrote: »
    ? Boxing. The sport is on its death bed. Especially Heavyweight.

Floyd Gayweather is what? 43-0 and he aint nowhere near the 40 greatest fighters in history of the Sport. Pacman is dopin? Really? This era is WEAK.

Gayweather aint no gawd damn Sugar Ray or Leonard or Armstrong

he aint Iron Mike or ALI or Foreman etc. I dont understand why he gets all this hype.

Ur right cuz those guys fought in the heavyweight division

• KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Boxing. The sport is on its death bed. Especially Heavyweight.

Floyd Gayweather is what? 43-0 and he aint nowhere near the 40 greatest fighters in history of the Sport. Pacman is dopin? Really? This era is WEAK.

Gayweather aint no gawd damn Sugar Ray or Leonard or Armstrong

he aint Iron Mike or ALI or Foreman etc. I dont understand why he gets all this hype.

Ur an idiot

Go watch soccer or something and the ? up
  • CallMeWelvin
    CallMeWelvin Members Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Floyd is a top 5 fighter ever first of all,

Secondly, boxing is enjoyable to watch when you're not a casual fan.

People don't realize the guts it takes to put your life on the line. The hard work and dedication it takes.

Mayweather is the greatest of our era and people need to stop hating on a Living Legend.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PimpMVP wrote: »
    Floyd is a top 5 fighter ever first of all,

Secondly, boxing is enjoyable to watch when you're not a casual fan.

People don't realize the guts it takes to put your life on the line. The hard work and dedication it takes.

Mayweather is the greatest of our era and people need to stop hating on a Living Legend.

agreed and that was an incredible fight

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You dont know ? about boxing.. OP there were 3 great fights and a big upset.. today all before this card even kicked off.. casual fans like you need to play your position and just watch.. because you obviously have no idea wtf you are talkin about
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmao @ saying floyd ain't tyson, foreman, and ali.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ people saying someone doesn't know boxing just because he doesn't suck Mayweather's ? as well as they do.

Anybody who has followed boxing for years and decades in some cases would tell you that the sport has dropped off, and is far from what it was even as recently as the 90s and early 00s. That's not opinion. That's fact. Are there still good fights from time to time? Yes. Are there still good fighters out there? Yes. But boxing is not the attraction that it once was, and doesn't hold the prominence among pro sports in the U.S. that it once did. The only people who think it does are Mayweather dickriders who can't handle the fact that there are some people that don't think he's as great a fighter as he thinks he is.

The dude is great no doubt. I'm not even going to try to pick a place for him among the greats. I know one thing. He doesn't have the heart they do. Yeah, he's a tough and brave dude. That can be said about anyone who steps into the ring and puts their health on the line. But the greats of the past fought other greats whenever the opportunity arose. They didn't let financial disputes, unfounded doping allegations, and other nonsense get in the way.

I remember an interview with him where someone called him out on suggesting he was better than Sugar Ray Leonard. He defended that claim by saying that he was undefeated and Leonard wasn't. The interviewer pointed out that Leonard fought more tough opponents in their prime and put himself in danger of losing more. Floyd didn't even deny that. He turned around and said Leonard was unwise with his career and didn't consider his brand enough. So basically Floyd admitted to choosing his opponents based on protecting his record. That was from his own mouth, yet his dickriders act like he's always taken all challengers while they were ripe and at their best.
  • blacklsoldier
    blacklsoldier Members Posts: 899
    Options
    lol @ people saying someone doesn't know boxing just because he doesn't suck Mayweather's ? as well as they do.

Anybody who has followed boxing for years and decades in some cases would tell you that the sport has dropped off, and is far from what it was even as recently as the 90s and early 00s. That's not opinion. That's fact. Are there still good fights from time to time? Yes. Are there still good fighters out there? Yes. But boxing is not the attraction that it once was, and doesn't hold the prominence among pro sports in the U.S. that it once did. The only people who think it does are Mayweather dickriders who can't handle the fact that there are some people that don't think he's as great a fighter as he thinks he is.

The dude is great no doubt. I'm not even going to try to pick a place for him among the greats. I know one thing. He doesn't have the heart they do. Yeah, he's a tough and brave dude. That can be said about anyone who steps into the ring and puts their health on the line. But the greats of the past fought other greats whenever the opportunity arose. They didn't let financial disputes, unfounded doping allegations, and other nonsense get in the way.

I remember an interview with him where someone called him out on suggesting he was better than Sugar Ray Leonard. He defended that claim by saying that he was undefeated and Leonard wasn't. The interviewer pointed out that Leonard fought more tough opponents in their prime and put himself in danger of losing more. Floyd didn't even deny that. He turned around and said Leonard was unwise with his career and didn't consider his brand enough. So basically Floyd admitted to choosing his opponents based on protecting his record. That was from his own mouth, yet his dickriders act like he's always taken all challengers while they were ripe and at their best.

But doesn't being "tough" and "brave" have to do with someone having heart, arent they one in the same? Normally someone will say, "Man, that's one tough and brave dude he has heart" Right smh
  • #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mayweather is right though. Sugar Ray wasn't smart with his brand. Mayweather is probably the best self promoter since Ali.
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    #1 pick wrote: »
    Mayweather is right though. Sugar Ray wasn't smart with his brand. Mayweather is probably the best self promoter since Ali.

You mean since Tyson? EVERYONE wanted to see what Tyson was gonna do because he was crazy as ? .
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But the greats of the past fought other greats whenever the opportunity arose. They didn't let financial disputes, unfounded doping allegations, and other nonsense get in the way.

...... taken all challengers while they were ripe and at their best.

I'd love to see an honest and thorough breakdown/comparison of the specifics regarding these claims as it relates to a lot of the great boxers in history...(from an unbiased perspective, if those exist in the realm of ? boxing fans/historians).
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the same ? who so quick to call other ? ? riders be in the reason bendin over for they favorite rapper.

• perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options

The bold is not true. The sport is fine, its always the fighters within the era that define the lucrative aspects. Also there are many more sports than ever before that are being broadcast so it just harder for boxers to create a solid fan base. Mayweather could not break PPV records and be the highest paid athlete if the bold were true.

The bold is once again incorrect. These "Greats" were most likely given fights by a promoter. Promoters are known for hand picking. Sugar Ray was retired before he fought Hagler if I'm not mistaken. He took the fight a few years down the line. Fighters "primes" can be debated. Floyd is tecnichally past his own "Prime". Your throwing the word "great" around meaninglessly. Personally, I think Roy Jones was a good fighter but even when he was on top people said he was ducking plenty of boxers.

Ok I have a problem with understanding what your trying to point out here. Floyd has fought many fighters who were undefeated and at there so called best in their so called "prime", and the outcome has been the same. Floyd was also handed fights by Bob Arum until 2006 or so. I think its funny that Arum was trying his best to get Floyd to fight Margarito before he left Top Rank. Bottom line you view boxing as a sport when it is, but its also a business. When you combine the two you get money. Everything else is just hype.

• Hypernova
    Hypernova Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmao
    ? got me livid. Someone pliz explain to me how Money Gayweather is better than these Giants -- Leonard, armstrong,Gans,Duran?

When i & most ardent fans of the sport look back on Floyds career 30 yrs from now, we'll remember a gud fighter who cherry pickd his opposition.

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    they aint no short cut to Greatness. To be the best you hav to beat the toughest competition.

Mayweather cant legitimately claim dat lol! He runs his mouth, but he dont back it up like Ali or Johnson.

he aint no where near being the best in the divisions he has fought in except super featherweight. He takin the easy routes.

where the Gayweather stans at? We need to chop dis ? up & dissect floyds career??

43-0? But Scared to fight Pacquiao who aint even on whitaker or williams level?

? floyd ? ass, and if u down with floyd ? -Unit 50 cent aka snitch ? u 2.

As much as I despise 50 and G-Unit, you sound extremely emotional. But I digress. Who has Floyd ducked? If and when you do respond, please try to be as intelligent as possible, because I'm not a dumb casual boxing fan.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    while we talking about legends and ducking..its reported that ray leonard ducked aaron pryor when they were both in their primes *shrugs* js
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Sugar "I got molested by my coach" Ray Leonard was deathly afraid of Hagler thats why he wanted a bigger ring and why he waited to Marvin wasn't in his prime anymore.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where you been? Boxing been fell off.

The whole PacMan-Money May saga is the only thing keeping the sport alive at this point.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    Where you been? Boxing been fell off.

The whole PacMan-Money May saga is the only thing keeping the sport alive at this point.

there are alot of great fighters on the come up! smh
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Sugar "I got molested by my coach" Ray Leonard was deathly afraid of Hagler thats why he wanted a bigger ring and why he waited to Marvin wasn't in his prime anymore.

yea it was after hagler went life and death with a guy named mugabi ray was in the crowd and seen how hagler has slowed and turned to his manager and told him to make the fight...