Question: How Does LCA Feel About "High Concept" Sitcoms?

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Remember "Work it"? The show about the two men who dressed up like women to get a job that premiered a few months back? It was panned by critics and quickly cancelled. Some people are comparing this new show from ABC (same network as "Work It") to it. I never watched "Work It" cause I knew it would be cancelled, but I actually didn't think it looked...terrible? I would say the same about "Cavemen". I know that's not the best endorsement, but still...i'm pretty picky about what I watch and I thought those shows had...potential at least?

I feel the same about The Neighbors. Its looks better really. Watch the trailer below, I wont give it away. ABC is actually giving it Happy Ending's old timeslot this Fall, right after their biggest sitcom Modern Family....so that's a big push. I think it looks funny? *shrugs*

My question is...do high concept sitcoms still work? Think about some of the classics we wouldn't have had over the years. The Fresh Price of Bel-Air? Alf? Small Wonder? Dinosaurs? The Flintstones...and many more? Yea, they may not have all been "classics"...but they aren't all nearly as bad as "Homeboys In Outer Space" either. So it can go one way or the other.

Does a high concept premise immediately turn you off now, or do you think they can still be funny given the benefit? Cause The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air would not get picked up in today's television world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_iJy5auBko

Comments

• sdca
    sdca Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    Options
    I'm not immediately turned off, but I don't have high expectations. Cavemen was all the way awful.
    Clearly cashing in on the popularity of Geico commercials, without any thought and effort behind it.

I think high concept sitcom can still work. Comedy is just so subjective, it's not easy.
    'That's So Raven' & 'My Name Is Earl', (if you consider that 'HC') was funny & clever.

They can still be funny, but maybe it works best as Drama today.

3rd Rock From The Sun, I remember thinking 'wth?" when I was younger.
    I was so confused. Watching it now, the show is awesome!